DS buttons

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Mr BadWrench
DS buttons

Post by Mr BadWrench » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Is it just me or does the DS have the worst buttons nintendo ever put in a system??

I take pretty good care of my stuff and Ive had to take the DS apart twice to get the shoulder buttons working.. I considered reshelling a DS for fun... now im considering it just so I can get decent buttons.

Don

JariV

Re: DS buttons

Post by JariV » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:17 pm

I have the old 2004 model, the DS Lite and DSi. All buttons work fine here.
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

Mr BadWrench

Post by Mr BadWrench » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:44 pm

I have a Ds lite... bought it when they first came out so maybe they were improved... but I am so unhappy with the buttons.

when I open it I can see all the errors they made, its just stupid. I had more faith in nintendo.

I think I will "revise" the design and post it on a few forums, but Im getting excited about putting the whole DS in a non folding shell using tact switched for the shoulder buttons.

Don

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Usually I just blow into the gap between the button and casing. I couldn't figure out how to fix it when I took it apart, because I had no clue what was wrong.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

Mr BadWrench

Post by Mr BadWrench » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:10 am

the tolerance between the button movement and the internal switches is so small that even the tiniest piece of dirt in the edges of the buttons keep them from making full contact with the internal switches. Also the pivot point is too sloppy allowing movement where there should not be movement.. When I replaced the screen in my friends daughters DS I epoxied the pivots solidly in place.. this made it 10x harder to reassemble but she has never had a problem since.

On my DS, sicne I plan one disassembling it several times as I test fit the boards for a new case and come up with ideas for mods I just cut away about 1mm of the lip that stops the buttons from pushing into the shell, I also added some flat blister pack clear plastic to the back of the shell making the gaps between the internal switches and the shell almost non existant hoping to keep them from breaking off the Motherboard like I am assuming most of them break from looking at the design.

I aquired some micro 4way joysticks(similar to gp2x) a few years ago that im hoping to swap into my new DS shell along with some micro tact switches for the shoulder buttons. With Phantasy Star Zero out now and Ragnarok and Maplestory on the way I intend to make much use of my DS in the future.

Don