Hate that blasted DS Lite power switch!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

ArugulaZ
Hate that blasted DS Lite power switch!

Post by ArugulaZ » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Life can be cruel sometimes. While trying to make the D-pad on my DS Lite more responsive, I inadvertently snapped off the plastic power switch, leaving me with a dead system. I bought a replacement online, was able to remove the old, busted switch mechanism and solder in the new one, despite having an iron that was two sizes too large for the job. Hooray, right? Wrong. I put it back together, taking care to properly position the power slider on the side of the case, and found that the case didn't shut properly. I opened the case, closed it, opened it again because it still wasn't closing completely, and wouldn't you know it, the damn switch was bent and on the verge of falling off. Damn it! Damn it ALL! All that work for nothing... so frustrating!

However, all may not be lost. I read elsewhere about a guy who, instead of purchasing a new switch, just took a stickpin and heated the tip with a cigarette lighter. He then carefully positioned the tip where the old plastic switch was and pushed it a few millimeters into the switch mechanism, then snipped off the excess. Presto, he had an instant replacement for the old switch, without the hassle of resoldering. Plus, it's metal, so it shouldn't snap off at the slightest provocation.

I'm thinking of doing this myself, because I can't really afford the DSi right now and want to keep my old system alive as long as possible. However, what I'd much rather have is a power BUTTON on the system, just like all the other DS models. Anyone have any idea if this would be feasible? There are actually four soldering points that the switch connects to, instead of the expected two. Does anyone know what each of these points do, and if I could just connect an ordinary TAC switch between two of them? Thanks in advance for your help.

palmertech

Re: Hate that blasted DS Lite power switch!

Post by palmertech » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:11 am

Two of them are only there for support. I did this mod with a tact switch as you describe it a long time ago, so I do not remember for sure, but I believe it is the two middle traces that do nothing.

Excellent

mako321

Post by mako321 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:43 pm

lolololol the same thing happened to me!(when jumping the fuses 'cause one blew)

ArugulaZ

Post by ArugulaZ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:11 pm

palmertech wrote:Two of them are only there for support. I did this mod with a tact switch as you describe it a long time ago, so I do not remember for sure, but I believe it is the two middle traces that do nothing.
Do you know what type of switch you used? I was considering this one, but I'm not sure if it will fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0343160479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:35 pm

That looks like a perfect switch. I just used one I stole from a xbox S-Type controller start button, it happened to have a white plastic face that looks nice.

Excellent