I need help fixing my Gameboy Color

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

skittlespider
I need help fixing my Gameboy Color

Post by skittlespider » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:45 pm

I am working on a Gameboy color project where I am putting into a new enclosure. This means moving the cartridge connector to another location. I de-soldered the connector and tried to extend it with wires. I got the wires in place on the main board. The wires that I used are thin solid wires, not braided ones. However I had trouble attaching the wires to the game connector. I accidentally broke off two of the connectors while trying to solder them.

I have two questions for anyone willing to help me.

1. Is there any way to fix this, or do I need a new connector?

2. When I do fix this connector problem, how do I avoid breaking it again?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hobbes

Re: I need help fixing my Gameboy Color

Post by Hobbes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Well, first of all, you're gonna need some more flexible wire for a cart slot extension. Second, what pins are they? If they're just ground, you may not need them! More than likely if the entire pin came out though, you'll need a new cart slot Image

skittlespider

Post by skittlespider » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Hobbes wrote:Well, first of all, you're gonna need some more flexible wire for a cart slot extension. Second, what pins are they? If they're just ground, you may not need them! More than likely if the entire pin came out though, you'll need a new cart slot Image
Yeah, I was thinking about trying to get some thin braided wire to make things easier. Next time I try to work on this.

It is the first and fourth connectors that are the problems. At first I only broke them off, but while trying to fix it, they both unfortunately came out. (I'm looking for another Gameboy Color on Ebay as we speak)

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Well, they're +5V in and /write, so I think they're both important. Of course the voltage is Image but I don't know about the other one.
Pin Name Description
1 VCC +5 VDC
2 ? ? Connected on Gameboy, but not used on GamePaks.
3 /RESET Reset
4 /WR Write
5 ? ? Used by paging PAL on high capacity GamePaks.
6 A0 Address 0
7 A1 Address 1
8 A2 Address 2
9 A3 Address 3
10 A4 Address 4
11 A5 Address 5
12 A6 Address 6
13 A7 Address 7
14 A8 Address 8
15 A9 Address 9
16 A10 Address 10
17 A11 Address 11
18 A12 Address 12
19 A13 Address 13
20 A14 Address 14
21 /CS Chip Select
22 D0 Data 0
23 D1 Data 1
24 D2 Data 2
25 D3 Data 3
26 D4 Data 4
27 D5 Data 5
28 D6 Data 6
29 D7 Data 7
30 /RD Read
31 ? ? Connected on Gameboy, but not used on Game-Paks.
32 GND Ground

There's a pinout in case somebody else smarter than I can help you. If you do get a CGB just for the cartslot, get a broken screen one. :D

skittlespider

Post by skittlespider » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Wow!!! Thanks for that. I'm not entirely sure what all of that means, but now I know what all of the pins do.

I didn't see any "for parts" or "broken screen" auctions on Ebay at the moment, so I guess I'll have to get a good one to tear into. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for a broken screen one though. That way I can fix it up with the extra parts I will have.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:38 pm

If you need a cheap cart connecter you might be able to use a N64 Transfer Pak (the thing used for Pokemon Stadium)

skittlespider

Post by skittlespider » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:04 pm

wallydawg wrote:If you need a cheap cart connecter you might be able to use a N64 Transfer Pak (the thing used for Pokemon Stadium)

Wow, that is a great idea!!! I found a Gameboy Color at a local Game Xchange, but I will really have to remember that for future projects.

skittlespider

Post by skittlespider » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks again for your help. I am not completely finished, but I posted a step by step guide anyway so I could enter a contest. (Votes would be appreciated)

Here is my (almost) finished Gameboy DS!
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Gameboy-DS/