Trying to design home console-ized PSP

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

gumbyx84
Trying to design home console-ized PSP

Post by gumbyx84 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:24 am

Hey all. As silly as this sounds, I have a growning interest in trying to make a PSP home console. I love my PSP, but now that I am not traveling on the subway or bus anymore, I don't seem to play it much anymore. When I do play, I'm usually sitting in bed or on the couch, which is a little uncomfortable when staring at a handheld. I know hackers have been able to connect a PS2 controller to a PSP and the PSP-2k and 3k have TV-out capabilities. Everything is there to make a home console PSP, but I am lacking in skills and funds.

ATM, I am trying to work out how I would go about doing this. I posted about this a while ago and got ideas for a enclosure for the project, but now I am working on the internals. I plan on working with a PSP-2K as it has TV-Out and (if using an early model) can be easily hacked to run CFW. I want the system to have internal memory, which can be achieved with an flash media-to-Pro Stick Duo adapter. I'm trying to figure out what type of flash memory to use that will give a good balance between speed and price. I'm also trying to figure out how I could easily move the UMD drive to the top or side of the system without adding too much "fat" to it.

I'm trying to do my own research to figure out how difficult this will all be to do, but I thought I'd ask you guys for help since so many good ideas and mods can be found here. I'd appreciate any (positive) input you guys can give.

XCVG

Re: Trying to design home console-ized PSP

Post by XCVG » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:49 pm

gumbyx84 wrote:Hey all. As silly as this sounds, I have a growning interest in trying to make a PSP home console. I love my PSP, but now that I am not traveling on the subway or bus anymore, I don't seem to play it much anymore. When I do play, I'm usually sitting in bed or on the couch, which is a little uncomfortable when staring at a handheld. I know hackers have been able to connect a PS2 controller to a PSP and the PSP-2k and 3k have TV-out capabilities. Everything is there to make a home console PSP, but I am lacking in skills and funds.
Cool idea.

ATM, I am trying to work out how I would go about doing this. I posted about this a while ago and got ideas for a enclosure for the project, but now I am working on the internals. I plan on working with a PSP-2K as it has TV-Out and (if using an early model) can be easily hacked to run CFW.
Mmmkay... I heard games only work with progressive scan component out, not sure if that applies to all models.

I want the system to have internal memory, which can be achieved with an flash media-to-Pro Stick Duo adapter. I'm trying to figure out what type of flash memory to use that will give a good balance between speed and price. I'm also trying to figure out how I could easily move the UMD drive to the top or side of the system without adding too much "fat" to it.
Just mount it upside down, so that the side of the board where the screen once was is underneath!

I'm trying to do my own research to figure out how difficult this will all be to do, but I thought I'd ask you guys for help since so many good ideas and mods can be found here. I'd appreciate any (positive) input you guys can give.
I lol'ed a bit at that.