Sega Nomad LED mod

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Bibin
Sega Nomad LED mod

Post by Bibin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:56 am

A few weeks ago, I modded my Sega Nomad to run with LEDs instead of the tube and inverter it had before, reducing overall consumption by 450 mA! I got about 3-4 hours out of one 9V battery, a huge improvement.

I had a how-to, but I need to update it badly, so I won't be posting it here yet.

Vidya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COK63d5tC1w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've fixed that bright diagonal spot, too; the LEDs I used in that video were SMT ones that were poorly mounted. I've replaced them with 5mm ones now.

dragonhead

Re: Sega Nomad LED mod

Post by dragonhead » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 am

neat. i want to find one and go at it like triton did to his gp2x. slim. trim, add lithiums, and replace the craptastic screen.

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:47 pm

Very nice. Tibia did this with his GameGear a while back.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I started the GG mod a while ago with a friend of mine, but stopped due to lack of skill and time. I really need to finish it.....

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:47 pm

gumbyx84 wrote:Very nice. Tibia did this with his GameGear a while back.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I started the GG mod a while ago with a friend of mine, but stopped due to lack of skill and time. I really need to finish it.....

:facepalm:

Tibia is one of 'the femalez.'

Lol.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:47 am

dragonhead wrote:neat. i want to find one and go at it like triton did to his gp2x. slim. trim, add lithiums, and replace the craptastic screen.
The GP2X has a great screen, and is already LED backlit. :facepalm:

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Bibin wrote:
dragonhead wrote:neat. i want to find one and go at it like triton did to his gp2x. slim. trim, add lithiums, and replace the craptastic screen.
here let me rephrase that, i want to slim trim and add lithiums to a nomad like triton did to his gp2x. i would also like to replace the LCD panel with a better one.

that clear enough for you?

gumbyx84

Post by gumbyx84 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:12 pm

snowpenguin wrote:
gumbyx84 wrote:Very nice. Tibia did this with his GameGear a while back.

:facepalm:

Tibia is one of 'the femalez.'

Lol.
Meant gender-neutral "his". Heck, I call all machines and pieces of technology "her" or "she". :P

Don't Tibia is would me mad about me making a little mistake. If she is, she'll internet smack me for it.

]
dragonhead wrote:
Bibin wrote:
here let me rephrase that, i want to slim trim and add lithiums to a nomad like triton did to his gp2x. i would also like to replace the LCD panel with a better one.

that clear enough for you?
Now that sounds interesting. Wonder what the battery life would be if/when you do that.