GameBoy Color Problem

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Vort
GameBoy Color Problem

Post by Vort » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Hey everyone,

As I'm waiting for my parts to come in for a GBA mod, I've been tinkering around with a GBC laying around and, well. I basically have this odd idea for a case mod, but here's the problem...

I soldered an external AA battery holder (so it'll be easier for the case), and that's pretty much it. It started acting up a little bit right after. Basically there is a part on the bottom left corner of the GameBoy Color, which is like a mini circuit board that's propped up (anyone who's ever taken a look inside a GameBoy will know what I'm talking about), and the GameBoy doesn't turn on unless my finger is on that small part. I'll post pics as soon as I get home, maybe even a vid. It's not a big deal if it's totally screwed, but if I can salvage this thing I'd like to do so. Oh and I've de-soldered the external battery holder for now in an attempt to fix it.

I know this sounds really weird problem, but if anyone has an idea of what's wrong, please let me know. *cough* (Palmertech).

-Vort

joeyjoe9876

Re: GameBoy Color Problem

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 am

thats wierd it didn't happen to me, did you mess with it or something?
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Try resoldering the leads that connect it to the mobo. If its only working when you press on it, its a pretty good indication that one of the solder joints is loose.

Vort

Post by Vort » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:01 am

Well, see I don't have to push it back in, it's my finger that makes contact with one of the componants on top of that small part. It's like a very small black rectangle. Basically this thing acts like it's been circuit bent xD

arfink

Post by arfink » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Circuit-bent, IE, wacky ground fault problems. Check your ground wiring very carefully. And reflow the joints leading to the DC-DC converter, which is the daughter board you are talking about.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Also, if that component being bridged makes it work, it might be the fuse. Bridge it if nothing else works.

Excellent

Vort

Post by Vort » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks, I'll try it out. :)