Game Gear problems

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

misjah
Game Gear problems

Post by misjah » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi, I just got my first gamegear for pretty cheap. It had no picture and no sound. I replaced all the capacitors, and sound is now working but picture is still messy. I still don`t have any cart to test it out but I have tv-tuner. Picture is viewable under bad angle (can`t see anything under 90 degrees). Is there any other solution than the capacitor one?

Taiben

Re: Game Gear problems

Post by Taiben » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:35 pm

Hate to say it but thats all game gears. They all gotta be held at some funky angle to see it halfway decent.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

misjah

Post by misjah » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:07 am

Didn`t know for the screen, to bad. I`m still having some issues.... after few minutes GG starts loosing picture, a bit blanking, screen goes completely white and then turns off .

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:24 am

Check the batteries? Try new ones, and don't use rechargeables for testing.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Exdeath

Post by Exdeath » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:46 am

Or use an AC adaptor if you can get ahold of one. (Rather certain its the same AC adaptor used with Model 2 Genesis)
And yeah, the screens really do suck.
I get a lot of bad ideas, so don't listen to me.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:06 pm

Misjah, is the battery light blinking before the screen starts going blank? What kind of shape were the battery contacts and wires in when you were working inside it? I'm wondering if the power connector that goes from the back half to the front might be a bit loose.

As for the viewing angle of the screen, it is pretty limited. I LED modded my GG, and I found it did improve the viewing angle somewhat. There's a write-up somewhere in the News section of the forum, but my tutorial's on my LiveJournal.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

misjah

Post by misjah » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:47 pm

I checked all that regular stuff, everything is soldered good. I tried with both alkaline batteries and AC adapter, same thing happens.

Actually it stopped turning off, but the picture is still very bad (washed out). I suppose lcd and controllers are ok.... I played it long time ago and as I can remember picture and colors were pretty decent.

Oh, yeah, battery led is not blinking at the moment but it was blinking same as display....

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:11 pm

misjah wrote:I checked all that regular stuff, everything is soldered good. I tried with both alkaline batteries and AC adapter, same thing happens.

Actually it stopped turning off, but the picture is still very bad (washed out). I suppose lcd and controllers are ok.... I played it long time ago and as I can remember picture and colors were pretty decent.
Unfortunately, unless you take pics and they show significant difference, that's the game gear for ya :(
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:37 am

misjah wrote:Actually it stopped turning off, but the picture is still very bad (washed out). I suppose lcd and controllers are ok.... I played it long time ago and as I can remember picture and colors were pretty decent.

I had the same kind of disappointment when I bought my GG. I'd played my cousin's when we were little, and when I got one last year, it was really hard to see. I've bought/traded/sold around 50+ of them, and it's all the same. I must have been an easily impressed kid. lol

If your battery light wasn't blinking before the screen started flickering, your batteries weren't the problem. Honestly, I'm not sure what would have caused that. Glad to hear it's gotten better, though.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

misjah

Post by misjah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:49 am

Yeap, a friend got it in France when we were pretty young and when I saw it I was really impressed. GameBoy was so cool back then but when I saw colors and bigger display with backlight I totally went mental....

I tried to take pictures but it`s even worse.
I just wanted to use it as a backup portable TV, but there`s no use.... It`s still nice addition to my consoles collection.