How should I go about fixing this?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Exdeath
How should I go about fixing this?

Post by Exdeath » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:22 pm

I just got myself a DMG, $6. But it's in pretty bad shape. The D-pad won't press left or down very easily. It's not stuck, it just isn't responsive. What would be the best way to fix this? (I'm nervous about opening it.)
I get a lot of bad ideas, so don't listen to me.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Re: How should I go about fixing this?

Post by Tibia » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Well, you're going to have to to even be able to tell what's wrong. When you do open it up, it's very easy to put back together. It's very clearly marked with where screws should and shouldn't go.

Go ahead and open it up, then take the front board out of the front half. Check to make sure the traces aren't broken, and see what condition the membrane pads under the d-pad are in. If it is the membrane, let me know, I'm sure I've got some laying around.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Exdeath

Post by Exdeath » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:42 pm

What if I mentioned that the D-Pad functions if I press hard enough? It's looking fine on the inside, too. Opening it was fun, though. Both sarcastically and actually fun (If it weren't for that ribbon cable, this would be so much easier. I hate disconnecting then, always feels so flimsy, y'know?)
EDIT: If you happen to have some screws for the outer casing, I kind of need 3. I noticed that three were missing on the back when I got it.

EDIT2: I finished opening it. Guess what? One of the parts of the membrane was torn. And there was some mold. All cleaned up, but still. Would the membrane of an NES controller work? (I have a few spares)

EDIT3: Never mind, NES controller membranes are bigger *facepalms*. At least the NES controller's screws match the 3 screws that were in the back of the GB.

Exdeath

Post by Exdeath » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Problem solved, thanks to Tibia. This topic can be locked, if needed.