Virtual Boy Portable

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

tom61
Re: Virtual Boy Portable

Post by tom61 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:36 pm

smitty wrote:
tom61 wrote:Another thought for anyone that feels like doing a handheld VirtualBoy: have the FPGA/microprocessor buffer both displays, render one in red, and the other offset in green, so you can get some of the 3D effect by wearing the red/green glasses.
Aren't they red and cyan(blue)?
Old ones are, newer ones seem to have switched to red/green for the colors.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Link? I know a few disney movies did that, but only to force you to buy the real film so you had glasses.

Excellent

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:58 pm

palmertech wrote:Link? I know a few disney movies did that, but only to force you to buy the real film so you had glasses.
Actually, it seems the colors flop back and forth in popularity from red/blue and red/green lenses. I never encountered the red/green until the mid to late 90's, and that was with magazines. Newer films seem to use polarizing glasses (look like sunglasses) to separate the two eye frames.

Here's a red/green 3D from 1935:

If you search for red green glasses, you get all types of anaglyph videos (apparently they think if you have one type, you have the others...)

stupidity395

Post by stupidity395 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Sorry to bump old posts, mods please remove this if neccesary, but isn't there an av out on the vb? it would remove 3d, but keep it a a virtual boy with an lcd instead.
Creebo wrote:While you're at it, throw a Gameboy on there that launched frag-cartridges! BETTER YET, strap a virtual boy on it and slowly melt your enemy's eyesockets!!!

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:27 pm

smitty wrote:
tom61 wrote:Another thought for anyone that feels like doing a handheld VirtualBoy: have the FPGA/microprocessor buffer both displays, render one in red, and the other offset in green, so you can get some of the 3D effect by wearing the red/green glasses.
both exist.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 pm

stupidity395 wrote:Sorry to bump old posts, mods please remove this if neccesary, but isn't there an av out on the vb? it would remove 3d, but keep it a a virtual boy with an lcd instead.
No, it doesn't have A/V out.
dragonhead wrote:
smitty wrote:
both exist.
Err, this has already been covered on in this thread...

Anyways, to save this thread from having three useless necro-posts added to it, I actually found that someone has already done what I was talking about and made an adapter to take the output of the displays and render it to a TV or VGA monitor(supports Shutter glasses, Anaglyph glasses (red/whatever), or 2D output):