Setting up Homebrew/CFW on PSP-2000(a few crucial questions)

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

extremesonic
Setting up Homebrew/CFW on PSP-2000(a few crucial questions)

Post by extremesonic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 pm

I read over the one guide by BoomBox, and just wanted to check out a few things before I start making purchases.

The biggest one is the size of Memory Stick to make the Magic Memory Stick. I know it states it has to be 512MB to 4GB, but has that changed since then? I'd like to have a big memory card for when I get homebrew going.

If I can't use an 8GB/16GB card for the Magic Memory Stick, can I still use it for storing homebrew files, like will I have any troubles running things on such large size cards (except for the Magic Memory Stick of course).

Also I know some PSP-2000's have an advanced motherboard that can't get CFW using the Pandora battery, but mine is currently running firmware 3.71, and if I recall, the newer motherboards can't run any firmware under 4.00, is that correct?

Lastly the newer versions of the M33 firmware (like 5.00+) they can do all the stuff that 3.71-M33 and all that can do right? (like emulators/homebrew etc...).

Thanks in advance to whoever helps

EDIT: Oh also I was wondering if it is safe (like still able to install CFW) to update my firmware to 3.9X (under 4.00, don't recall the exact number) since Patapon requires that firmware to play it, and I'd like to try it.
SNESp - 100%
Protable X - 15% - I need money :(

asdfjkl;

Re: Setting up Homebrew/CFW on PSP-2000(a few crucial questions)

Post by asdfjkl; » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm

I couldn't ever get my 4 gb to make it go into service mode, only my 1gb :cry:
The good news is yes you can use higher capacity ones to store your files :D
your mobo is most likely fine, I think all of the ta-v88 mobos came out since september 2008, yours is probably older than that.
last question I don't know, but I would say that there are probably things it cannot do.

hey are you gonna start being more active? :D
67 pages of members with posts 0.0
I'm still in my busyiest time of the year may not be active ;) I'm back

extremesonic

Post by extremesonic » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:55 pm

asdfjkl; wrote:I couldn't ever get my 4 gb to make it go into service mode, only my 1gb :cry:
The good news is yes you can use higher capacity ones to store your files :D
your mobo is most likely fine, I think all of the ta-v88 mobos came out since september 2008, yours is probably older than that.
last question I don't know, but I would say that there are probably things it cannot do.

hey are you gonna start being more active? :D
yeah i was going to try and grab a smaller sized one (cheaper, since I'd like to use an 8/16GB for files)

my PSP is the star wars battlefront one, which are older (picked it up used)

so as long as my mobo is the older one, it should matter what firmware I'm packing on it correct (so it'd be safe to run the update from patapon?).

yeah I should be more active shouldn't I. I mean I still have my Christmas avatar for pete's sake.
I come around time to time and check out some of the newer completed/almost completed projects, but don't have much to add to those threads, of if I could it has already been said.
SNESp - 100%

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:59 pm

yeah, your psp should be fine, and no it doesn't matter because the kernal that you add just makes your psp that firmware anyway(I believe)
I guess I'm not an uber-1337 psp hax0r, maybe boombox will post soon

and what's wrong wit christmas avvies? I still have mine!
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

extremesonic

Post by extremesonic » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 pm

nothing wrong with christmas avatars, just seems to show that I'm not active that much.

Also should ask is there any specific brand of Memory Stick Pro Duos that are best for this (or at least ones I should avoid). I'm guessing official Sony brand ones are best, but I see lexar/sandisk ones are a lot cheaper.
SNESp - 100%

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:22 pm

asdfjkl; wrote:I couldn't ever get my 4 gb to make it go into service mode, only my 1gb :cry:
If this is true universally, then that puts me in a bad position, as I only have a 4...
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

megabite

Post by megabite » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 pm

I believe that other people than eudrue have had problems with 4 gigabyte, and to check you go to games-->memory card-->press "triangle" and if is says magicgate, then it can be magic :D
It has been a while since I did this so if it doesn't work, I'll have to check on my psp :lol:
I bring justice to its avoiders, and pain to its resistors.

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I'd do that, but... my PSP is bricked.
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:32 pm

yeah, I bricked mine too, I had to borrow a friend's 1 gb to unbrick, I couldn't ever get my 4gb to work :cry:
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Twilight Wolf

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:35 pm

*No friend to borrow a Memory Stick from*

I'll have to figure something else out if it doesn't work, then. (I don't have it yet, I ordered it from DX and it's not here yet.)
Tchay wrote:
No he's from Canada.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Here is the deal:

All official cards of all sizes will work, 512, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, etc.

Some third party cards will work, but they generally need to support magicgate.

And some third party cards will simply not work.

I have a great 4gb card from dealextreme, it works great. It is easy to recognize, as it is off-colored, not pure black; More like a super dark red.

The rest of my DX cards do not work. :(

My advice: Hope your 3rd party 4gb card works. if not, go to Wal-Mart, buy a 512 for $10, then return it when you are done.

Excellent

extremesonic

Post by extremesonic » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:41 pm

So what's up with some card saying MARK2, and some not saying it. Does THAT make a difference, or is it just the magicgate thing?
SNESp - 100%

BoomBox-Creations

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:50 pm

extremesonic wrote:I read over the one guide by BoomBox, and just wanted to check out a few things before I start making purchases.

The biggest one is the size of Memory Stick to make the Magic Memory Stick. I know it states it has to be 512MB to 4GB, but has that changed since then? I'd like to have a big memory card for when I get homebrew going.

If I can't use an 8GB/16GB card for the Magic Memory Stick, can I still use it for storing homebrew files, like will I have any troubles running things on such large size cards (except for the Magic Memory Stick of course).

Also I know some PSP-2000's have an advanced motherboard that can't get CFW using the Pandora battery, but mine is currently running firmware 3.71, and if I recall, the newer motherboards can't run any firmware under 4.00, is that correct?

Lastly the newer versions of the M33 firmware (like 5.00+) they can do all the stuff that 3.71-M33 and all that can do right? (like emulators/homebrew etc...).

Thanks in advance to whoever helps

EDIT: Oh also I was wondering if it is safe (like still able to install CFW) to update my firmware to 3.9X (under 4.00, don't recall the exact number) since Patapon requires that firmware to play it, and I'd like to try it.

I have tried using a MMS with 8gb, official sony one, and it didnt work.

The memory sticks have to be the official ones, with magicgate enabled, for them, i recommend sony or sandisk.

any sony or sandisk 512mb to 4gb card will work.

You can still use the bigger cards than 4 gb for homebrew and games.

I use a 32 gb card, it works fine... ( it is 2 16gb microSD's in an adapter ) and i have a 16gb normal, they both work fine.... they are both full aswell...

Your PSP is fine. you can update it to whatever you want, even 5.03, and still use my guide yo CFW it. Just that said, the unhackable 2000's ( TA 88v3 ) are pre installed with 4.01 and above. it makes no difference if you update and its not a TA 88v3.

yes they can. but there is less homevrew for 5.00 than 4.01 and before. simply because the programming in the firmware is different.... but all the firmware i had from 3.71, still works on my 5.00, except for the CXMB plugin, i ha to update that...

And if you rip the ISO for patapon, it works on 3.71 M33, the ISo's dont matter.... but the UMD's, if you dont like ripping the ISO's, you should update....

To palmertech, for the version program i am using, you can only use a max of 4gb cards.

Rains ultralites, i have used my orig 16gb card and it works fine...

for everyone else who wants links:

Rains Ultralite for 5.00 M33-4: http://dl.qj.net/Rain-s-UltraLite-MMS-M ... /catid/151

and the 5.00 OFW update: http://rapidshare.com/files/154173870/500.PBP

this version is pretty self explanitory, i should update my guide to this version...

after you have done to 5.00 M33-4, update it to 5.00 M33-6, my guide here: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26563