Gameboy Color help! ~~power issue~~

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

grumpymonkey
Gameboy Color help! ~~power issue~~

Post by grumpymonkey » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Hey, im new to the whole 'modding' thing, so i decided to start on something small like a gameboy color, and i shoulda noticed the signs telling me to stop doing it...like how i had to break some parts of the case to remove the screws, or how i couldnt remove the screen. Now i think i messed it up completely, being the retard I am, i tried hooking up a 6volt Lantern battery to see what would happen..i might be high right now since smoke started coming out of it, and inhaled some of it :P
so if i dont die of poisoning, i would like to know how i could fix a 'fried' GBC

this is what happened:
1. I got a 6volt lantern battery..which is pretty big (i know, dumb right?)
2. i got a few copper wires and hooked it up to my GBC
3. smoke started coming out of it =[

now, when i try to connect a regular pair of AA batteries, i hear a little static noise(which might be from the speakers) and nothing happens. Is there a way for me to fix that, or will i have to buy a new piece, or trash the whole system completely?

btw, these might be sum retarded question, but i dont know anything about this kinda stuff, just what ive learned in my 8 years of school about circuits n stuff
HEY! the conversation is up there ^

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:20 pm

You know the GBC takes in 3V and you pumped in twice the voltage it takes, no?

It's most likely fracked so you'll need a new one.

grumpymonkey

dam

Post by grumpymonkey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:29 pm

damn..oh well, i guess ill start smaller, like a Ps3, or Xbox360. no NES yet =[
HEY! the conversation is up there ^

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:10 pm

STOP.

If you blew a GBC, don't start with more expensive things after you gain more experience.

Just saying.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:56 pm

.....Where the heck do you get your info? How is a ps3 "smaller" than a gameboy?

TROLL.

Ben Cebhrem

Re: Gameboy Color help! ~~power issue~~

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:28 am

grumpymonkey wrote: 3. smoke started coming out of it =[
Generally when electronics start smoking... yeah, they are busted. The only thing that is GOOD to smoke, is wood if you are making a fire.

Your GBC is busted. Next time, try using a proper screwdriver to open it up. Be careful- things can be fragile. And never put in more voltage than a piece of equipment can handle. As a general rule, stick only to the voltages that the device requires- never more, although less will be okay (it just may refuse to work in that case).