Gameboy Color NES mod, FINISHED!!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer
Gameboy Color NES mod, FINISHED!!

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Alrighty, Im new here and thought id share this with all of you..

:-) Now my question is this. I bought two broken GBA SPs. One was one of the old ones that has the frontlight, One was the new one that has a backlight. I took the lighting out of the backlit one and want to use it with the plastic and such from the frontlit one to frontlight my GBC. I have tried hooking the light up from the backlit SP up to the GBC power but it wont power it. Is there anything I can do, or will I just have to use the crappy dim light from the frontlit SP?
Last edited by Pkmnjunky7 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Nice GBC. As for the backlight, Im almost positive that you have to use the older frontlit GBA's light.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Hmm. Thanks for the reply. I have the light out of the backlit SP and it looks like the same type of light as the older one only it uses 4 lights instead of 1. Does anybody know If i need more voltage or what?

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Before you do bad things, let me tell you that frontlighting with the old SP's equipment is the way to go. Palmertech and I have done more than enough research on this subject. The thing you should do though is get antireflective film and put it on the LCD first so the colors do not wash out.

If you want info on pulling voltage, mounting the panel and fitting the wires, just ask, since I've got diagrams and such for just this.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Bibin wrote:Before you do bad things, let me tell you that frontlighting with the old SP's equipment is the way to go. Palmertech and I have done more than enough research on this subject. The thing you should do though is get antireflective film and put it on the LCD first so the colors do not wash out.

If you want info on pulling voltage, mounting the panel and fitting the wires, just ask, since I've got diagrams and such for just this.
So I would just put AR film right on the front of the LCD? Is there anywhere I can get it apart from ordering it on the internet? I guess Ill just use the old Sp's frontlight.. I just thought id at least try to use the backlit version since its brighter and all. Thanks for the reply!!

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:33 pm

I just noticed this, wheres the screen? :lol:

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Haha. Its just out of it for that picture. Rest assured though I still have it and plan on putting it back in.

coleslaw

Re: Gameboy Color NES mod, plus some questions

Post by coleslaw » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:46 am

that gameboy is beast! also, i to am trying to add a light to my gameboy color. be sure to post your results :D
We Bears are a proud race! You shall Pay for your insolence!

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:37 pm

:o This is like 3 months old :lol: Coleslaw, make sure you check the dates of the thread before you post.
Last edited by eurddrue on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Lulz, I never saw this thread.

I am making mine with an LED strip from a DS Lite, I am hoping that the extra light does not wash it out. If it works well, and I can make another boost reg, then I am in business! :mrgreen:

Excellent

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:07 pm

I think I have found some perfect material for this, as well as a 3-LED strip to use. More info later.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:29 pm

I finally got around to finishing it today... I've had the stuff for a while, but am lazy and a bit ADD. PICS1!!11!!!ONE!!

Best thing about it is that I was able to wire it up so that the frontlight turns on and off with the gameboy, no extra switch :-)

Edit: I also replaced the GBC speaker with one from one of my broken SPs, I can kind of tell that it sounds a bit louder, but I may be imagining things.

palmertech

Re: Gameboy Color NES mod, FINISHED!!

Post by palmertech » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Nice work! Any internal pics? ;)

Looks really cleanly done.

Excellent

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:50 pm

palmertech wrote:Nice work! Any internal pics? ;)

Looks really cleanly done.
Thank you! No internal pictures.... I probably should have thought of taking those before I closed it up. I have another GBC mobo that I can take pictures of to show how I wired it up if anyone is curious though..

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:53 pm

Did you use an anti-glare sheet on the LCD? If not, it will look 100% better if you add that. ;)

Excellent