PSP Phat WiFi repair question

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Cyberblade
PSP Phat WiFi repair question

Post by Cyberblade » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 pm

So I recently purchased a replacement WiFi board for my PSP from eBay. The version pictured was a WiFi board for a TA-079 motherboard, exactly what I need. When I get the package, it appears to be a version for the TA-081 motherboard, which according to the MaxConsole forums, will cause me compatibility issues. Namely no WiFi when plugged in, and a shortened battery life (And my battery is already abysmal.)

Anyways, I contacted the eBay seller to tell them they sent me the wrong one, and they replied telling me that it's a 3rd party OEM that is universally compatible and that the board number difference was normal. My question is will this work as advertised by the seller, or is he yanking my chain and that I'll suffer these problems?

Aguiluz

Re: PSP Phat WiFi repair question

Post by Aguiluz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:30 pm

If you don't recieve the one you see from the ebay page, it's the seller's fault. Demand a proper one if it does not work.

Cyberblade

Re: PSP Phat WiFi repair question

Post by Cyberblade » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Aguiluz wrote:If you don't recieve the one you see from the ebay page, it's the seller's fault. Demand a proper one if it does not work.
I realize this full well, and that was my first intention, but all I want is something that works. If this is some 3rd party thing that works, sure that'd be great, but I've never heard of any sort of 3rd party OEM knock off of the PSP's wifi board, which is why I'm cautious to install it. I don't know if it doesn't work, since I don't want to put it in the PSP until I know whether or not the sellers yanking my chain on the 3rd party OEM line. I'm asking if anyone else has any experience with this sort of third party product, if it is such a thing.

slowman

Post by slowman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:46 pm

I've never heard of such a thing. My first thought is that I wouldn't install it.

How do the traces and solder joints look as far as quality?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:46 pm

3rd party my arse.

That would require a FULL reverse-engineer of the board, and anybody who has done that would not be making pocket change selling replacement boards, they would be selling perfect PSP rips offs; All the other parts are widely available.

No way is it a 3rd party board.

EDIT: Misread the post. Ignore the above statement, but it is preserved as proof of my inability to read late at night. :lol:

Excellent

Cyberblade

Post by Cyberblade » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Due to concerns brought up at this board and others I've posted this at, I've decided to return the board and have purchased another one from another site. Topic can be locked now.