CFW PSP-3000 MASSIVE FINDING

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
palmertech
Senior Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:40 am
Location: California, land of the homeless and hippies
Contact:

CFW PSP-3000 MASSIVE FINDING

Post by palmertech » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:46 pm

HAY it iz the possibibble?


:lol:

On a serious note, a finding I made, figure I will post here before someone else realizes this.

Here is my finding: All PSP slims (PSP-2000) use the same screen. A launch PSP-2000 LCD will work in a last run PSP-2000 just fine.

Why is this huge? The last PSP slims made use the same TA-090 mobo as the PSP-3000!

As you may know, the 3000 has a WAY better screen. See here: http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/08/21/psp ... -colorful/

In additon, the PSP-3000 cannot be hacked for custom firmware. In fact, NO TA-090 boards can be homebrewed.

Here is my idea: Swap an earlier model PSP-2000 mobo into a psp-3000 case/screen, or move a PSP-3000 screen into a PSP-2000 case. Because the old PSP-2000 screens work on the newer TA-090 mobos, it is completely reasonable to assume that the new screens will work with the old mobos.

Anybody here have a PSP they can confirm this with? :idea:
Image

Excellent

User avatar
jleemero
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:12 pm
Location: Yay Desert.
Contact:

Post by jleemero » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:23 pm

First of all, no, I don't see it happening.

Secondly, "Way Better Screen".
I'm not correcting you or anything, I'm just putting this out there.
I've seen a PSP 3000 screen.
Prettier? Yeah.
I guess.
But really, it's like comparing Composite to S-Video.
Better, yes, but still, it's not a huge deal.

But the big thing is this, SCANLINES.
Scan freakin lines.
Scanlines.
My god the scanlines.

Image
Image

It ain't a pretty sight.



So, yeah.
PSP Phat is my favy still actually.

User avatar
Bibin
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:14 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by Bibin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:25 pm

They aren't scanlines, but yes, those are lines indeed.
...

User avatar
jleemero
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:12 pm
Location: Yay Desert.
Contact:

Post by jleemero » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Bibin wrote:They aren't scanlines, but yes, those are lines indeed.
Shush, you know what I mean. D:

User avatar
Bibin
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:14 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by Bibin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:03 pm

I know, it's just that the internet has enough false beliefs and we don't need more :P
...

User avatar
palmertech
Senior Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:40 am
Location: California, land of the homeless and hippies
Contact:

Post by palmertech » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 am

Why would you say it should not work? Considering that the screens for the 2000 are cross mobo, why would screen from the 3000 not work? Obviously, the TA-090 has the correct data pinout, and most likely the same voltage pumped to the backlight. Unless, of course, it has a switch to determine which LCD is being used, and therefore which voltage to use... Even then, it should still work, and if not, feeding 3.3v to the LED backlight array is not difficult at all.

About the "Scanlines": I have seen that image pulled out before, and I am pretty suspicious of it. The mechanics of those lines do not show up on film THAT well, and there are a lot of people who would agree on this.

That said, sure there are lines. But people are blowing this WAY out of proportion. The vast majority of PSP games look perfectly fine. Some games, however, used fancy interlacing tricks to get more performance out of the hardware. These tricks used to be covered up by the blur in the old PSP lcd, and because of the way the new screen works, these show up VERY EASILY. Most games do not do this, however, and I can garuantee that no games made from here on out will try to do it. Have you seen a PSP-3000 IRL? They are much superior, IMO, to the slim, even with their shortcomings.

Anybody else have input? (Or people posting again with more input)

:wink:
Image

Excellent

gamefreakfatty
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Post by gamefreakfatty » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:13 pm

palmertech wrote:Why would you say it should not work? Considering that the screens for the 2000 are cross mobo, why would screen from the 3000 not work?
Probably for the same reason that the PSP1000 and PSP2000 screens are incompatible.

The differences between PSP1000 and PSP2000 screens are that the LCD ribbons are different sizes, and I'm also pretty sure that the way the PSP tells the LCD to display certain things is different on both models.

Someone on the MaxConsole forums has already (kind of) tried. What he did was switch out the CPU from the PSP3000 with one from an older PSP2000 that had the hackable (non-TA88v3) motherboard. He did this because he was looking for a way to run hacked firmware on the PSP3000.


Look at items 8 and 11 on his list. Also, I would check the YouTube link. I believe it leads to his video of his PSP3000 running hacked firmware with the old PSP2000 CPU. The quoted post (with the screen parts in bold) from MaxConsole:
royginald wrote:Some notes I jotted from PSP3000

1. Unit comes with 4.21 OFW (ofcourse!!)
2. Pandora Battery had no response (at all!!)
3. LCD color looks a little pale.
4. Built in mic
5. New Mobo TA-090
6. New Charging IC
7. New Power IC
8. New Video Control IC
9. New Tachyon
10. CPU is labeled "2008"
11. LCD has smaller ribbon/connector

Some Harware hacking I did, watch the vid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKpS3aBJmE0
Link: PSP3000 Hardware Hacking (Almost)


P.S.
What you were saying about the PSP3000 using the same motherboard as certain PSP2000s was wrong.

Sure, both models of PSP have TA90 boards, but PSP2000 has TA90v1 (hackable with Pandora) while the PSP3000 has the TA90v2 (doesn't even light up with the JigKick battery!)

This is similar how the PSP2000 has 3 versions of TA88. Each revision (or at least v2 and v3) was an attempt to make Pandora not work.

-gamefreakfatty
i stink at making siggies

BoomBox-Creations
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:37 am

Wrong again.

Maybe the old PSP-2000 screens are compatible in the newer model of the slims ( 1 before the 3000 )

like gamefreakfatty said, the same reason why the Phat screens will not work on the slim and vice versa.

Its because of that and that the 3000 has more programming in the system itself ( that doesnt update with the system update ) to make it run.

Unless you can get that progamming and put it in the flash2 on the slim, the 3000 screen is incompatible with the 2000, but im assuming because the slim screen doenst need a software to run, the 2000 screen might be compatible with the 3000

believe me, i was thinking of putting the new screen into my slim, and i found what i just pointed above.

User avatar
palmertech
Senior Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:40 am
Location: California, land of the homeless and hippies
Contact:

Post by palmertech » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:28 pm

@gamefreakfatty: Thank you! I am not very well versed in PSP homebrew, to be honest, and your reply is very helpful. I had read that they used the TA-090 mobo, I had no idea that there were revisions among different motherboard names.

Interesting, managing to actually replace the CPU! I thought that was only possible with homebrew equipment on the genesis, and a few select others. That leads to the question of: Can the video controller IC also be replaced? Seems it would be a huge coincidence for the functions to match up, but I would have said the same of the CPU.

One more thing: There was a thread a long while back on using RGB on the PSP lcd using a video controller available in lots of SOny products, such as the PS2 (Easy scavenging). If the new 3000 unit is remotely close, it would be interesting to attempt connecting PSP 2000 rgb lines to a psp 3000 lcd.
BoomBox-Creations wrote:"Wrong again."

"Its because of that and that the 3000 has more programming in the system itself ( that doesnt update with the system update ) to make it run."

"Unless you can get that progamming and put it in the flash2 on the slim, the 3000 screen is incompatible with the 2000, but im assuming because the slim screen doenst need a software to run, the 2000 screen might be compatible with the 3000"
Wrong again? In this thread, I thought I was only wrong once (My entire premise)...

OH, you must mean this thread where I tell you that you cannot hook up a camera via the PSP usb port (Which flies in the face of you saying you have done it, how ignorant of me). http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=27151
The other two quotes make little to no sense. "It has more programming"? :lol: Thanks, good to know.

That link just explained why it does not work, heck, he even posted in this thread! "More programming" appears to be the least of obstacles to my idea, if it even exists. This appears to be a hardware issue, plain and simple. Of course, the PSP 3000 LCD needs "A software to run", so I suppose I should not be questioning your expertise.

PS: Gamefreakfatty, you will love boombox! He is like the most experienced PSP haxxor here! He can hook up screens to the psp, 9mp cameras, and quadruple the power of PSP batteries without changing their size, and then sell them forOVER 9000 DOLLARS!! :lol:

(Note: This was not intended to slight you, gamefreakfatty, just inform you about boomboxes "Accomplishments". :wink: [b][/b]
Image

Excellent

gamefreakfatty
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Post by gamefreakfatty » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:09 pm

palmertech wrote:@gamefreakfatty: Thank you! I am not very well versed in PSP homebrew, to be honest, and your reply is very helpful. I had read that they used the TA-090 mobo, I had no idea that there were revisions among different motherboard names.
No problem. I had been looking around at this stuff when I saw Sony had released a new revision of the PSP2000 motherboard that blocked our beloved Pandora!

I took a look at this when the PSP3000 came out and it was discovered that "our" (the homebrew community's) special (0xFFFFFFFF serial) battery did not automatically start the PSP3000, let alone put us in service mode with the pre-IPL hole. In the PSP2000, the battery still puts us in service mode, but in TA88v3 revision motherboards the IPL signing hole in the pre-IPL has been patched.

The pre-IPL originally had a problem where the signature check on the msipl could be partially skipped. If I recall correctly, what they did is develop an IPL for the memory stick where the actual application part of it was very small and eventually bruteforced the hash for signing it. There's a video somewhere about how the pre-IPL bug was utilized, bringing us the creation of Pandora's Battery.

AARGH!! I lost my thought process. My sisters are watching a movie with the volume maxed out! I can't even hear myself think. I'll try to be more informative next time.
palmertech wrote:Interesting, managing to actually replace the CPU! I thought that was only possible with homebrew equipment on the genesis, and a few select others. That leads to the question of: Can the video controller IC also be replaced? Seems it would be a huge coincidence for the functions to match up, but I would have said the same of the CPU.
I was also surprised that the CPU was able to be replaced with the PSP still working. The problem that I see with the video controller IC being replaced is that the LCD screen might interpret the signals differently on the PSP3000 than it would on the PSP2000 that the video controller IC came from.
palmertech wrote:PS: Gamefreakfatty, you will love boombox! He is like the most experienced PSP haxxor here! He can hook up screens to the psp, 9mp cameras, and quadruple the power of PSP batteries without changing their size, and then sell them for OVER 9000 DOLLARS!! :lol:

(Note: This was not intended to slight you, gamefreakfatty, just inform you about boomboxes "Accomplishments". :wink:
Oh, trust me, I've seen how experienced he is with haxxoring! I don't think I would ever be able to fit a 9 megapixel camera into the PSP. Of course, I've never been able to create something that could possibly sell for more than $500, let alone $9,000!!! Not this inexperienced little boy. Oh no, not me.
/sarcasm

I'm sorry, but he's full of more BS than a cattle ranch's turd pit. Anyone with the intelligence of a spoon would know that he's full of crap. Isn't he the one that claimed to have a 24 terabyte hard drive? Isn't he also the one who in the same thread claimed to use this same hard drive to interface with his PS1p to play 10,000+ PS1 games from? No offense BoomBox, but you need to figure out that most (or at least some) of us know that you're full of crap for most of the stuff that you've posted.

P.S.
I'm not offended by what you've said about him. I know some of the crap he's put here for us to step past. At least he can be honest with some things, such as helping with his PSP modding tutorial. Good job on that, BoomBox. The tutorial is nice. (That was not sarcasm by the way.)

-gamefreakfatty
i stink at making siggies

BoomBox-Creations
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:42 am

i said 8mp.

User avatar
thehackerinside
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:43 pm
Location: Hastings, England
Contact:

Post by thehackerinside » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:53 am

BoomBox-Creations wrote:i said 8mp.
Whatever bullcraper! :lol:

Any when I saw the psp 3000 screen colours are more vivid but I wouldn't swap anything for my psp phat, the slim and lite just feel so cheap as well!

Joe
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
palmertech
Senior Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:40 am
Location: California, land of the homeless and hippies
Contact:

Post by palmertech » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:33 pm

BoomBox-Creations wrote:i said 8mp.
My apologies for thinking you were lying about doing an impossible mod with a 9mp camera, I now see you were just talking BS about an 8mp one. How silly of me, I should have known that though 9mp is impossible, 8mp is. Forgive me for my ignorance, oh great one.

I swear, after all the stuff we prove is impossible, he replys to bring up the one thing that was even slightly off. :lol:

EDIT: Just went to his site, more proof he has no idea what he is talking about:
"The PSP-3000 ( PSP Brite ) might actually be able to be cusom firmwared, it is pandorizable but i'm not sure how to do it.....

Im assuming that the battery is able to be pandorized, i think its contents is like a PSP Slim & Lite battery, but im not sure, if someone wants to test it and see if this guide works, be my guest!!"




:lol:
Image

Excellent

BoomBox-Creations
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:42 pm

palmertech wrote:
BoomBox-Creations wrote:i said 8mp.
My apologies for thinking you were lying about doing an impossible mod with a 9mp camera, I now see you were just talking BS about an 8mp one. How silly of me, I should have known that though 9mp is impossible, 8mp is. Forgive me for my ignorance, oh great one.

I swear, after all the stuff we prove is impossible, he replys to bring up the one thing that was even slightly off. :lol:

EDIT: Just went to his site, more proof he has no idea what he is talking about:
"The PSP-3000 ( PSP Brite ) might actually be able to be cusom firmwared, it is pandorizable but i'm not sure how to do it.....

Im assuming that the battery is able to be pandorized, i think its contents is like a PSP Slim & Lite battery, but im not sure, if someone wants to test it and see if this guide works, be my guest!!"




:lol:
If you havent already figured, i dont edit my guides much, only for links...

But just for you, i will edit that =)

I had wrote that sentence above bofore DAX had said that the battery doesnt even turn the PSP-3000's LED light on.

User avatar
palmertech
Senior Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:40 am
Location: California, land of the homeless and hippies
Contact:

Post by palmertech » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:24 pm

BoomBox-Creations wrote:
palmertech wrote:
BoomBox-Creations wrote:i said 8mp.
My apologies for thinking you were lying about doing an impossible mod with a 9mp camera, I now see you were just talking BS about an 8mp one. How silly of me, I should have known that though 9mp is impossible, 8mp is. Forgive me for my ignorance, oh great one.

I swear, after all the stuff we prove is impossible, he replys to bring up the one thing that was even slightly off. :lol:

EDIT: Just went to his site, more proof he has no idea what he is talking about:
"The PSP-3000 ( PSP Brite ) might actually be able to be cusom firmwared, it is pandorizable but i'm not sure how to do it.....

Im assuming that the battery is able to be pandorized, i think its contents is like a PSP Slim & Lite battery, but im not sure, if someone wants to test it and see if this guide works, be my guest!!"




:lol:
If you havent already figured, i dont edit my guides much, only for links...

But just for you, i will edit that =)

I had wrote that sentence above bofore DAX had said that the battery doesnt even turn the PSP-3000's LED light on.[/quote
Good, now all 5 of the people who visit your site will get accurate info on PSP modding... Well, at least on that one tiny point.

HOLD IT!

You said that the only reason you had not posted guides for all your mods was that you "Did not have your own hosted site".

What now? You seem to have a site, should be a simple matter of uploading some pics.

Here is your only chance of people POSSIBLY looking past all your BS: You make a thread, post every lie you have ever made, admit them to be lies. Just ignoring posts that show what an ignorant liar you are does not draw attention away from your idiocy, it only serves to make it worse.
[/u][/i]
Image

Excellent

Post Reply