How to: frontlight your GBA (no 56k)

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

dbeeks1
Re: How to: frontlight your GBA (no 56k)

Post by dbeeks1 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:08 pm

I registered here just to say thank you for this tutorial. I got a dead GBA SP from a friend at work and now I have a front-lit GBA.

I did some testing with the multi-meter and found that the contact on the far right of Bibin's option 1 photo (circled in red) is about 3.2 volts with both GBA and GB Color carts so I used that for the positive lead without a resistor. So far, so good.

AORXD

Post by AORXD » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:50 pm

hmm.. is it possible to just get small leds that take 4v from option one if so let me know

Adr990

Post by Adr990 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 am

Plesiosaurus wrote:Hello.
I'm wondering, would this: http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gba/filter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
work instead of AR Flim?
It says it prevents light reflection.
The reason i ask is because it also protects the screen from scratches. 2 in 1 :)
No, because the AR film should be on the screen itself under the light, not above it all.

---

I recently was thinking about a cool GBA mod, but to make it perfect I also wanted to front light it.
Instead of killing more GBA SP's, I want to use a replacement top screen for a DS Lite, and take the front lighting out of it.

It's just that I'm not sure if the DS Lite screens happen to use front light at all..?
Probably not, but it would be great if it did. :)

Thanks in advance!

Adr990

mattek

Post by mattek » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Which resistor is the best for this mod ?
Which resistor makes, that frontlight is the brightest ?

Thanks in advance ;)

Micah E

Post by Micah E » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:20 pm

I have tried this mod and ended up frying the light. I hope someone can help me figure out what I did wrong. I soldered to the point that was labeled "no resistor needed" on the picture but I used the ground from the other picture instead of using the battery terminal. I did not use a resistor. I also did not test the light to find which is positive. Instead I trusted this site: HTTP://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... ur-GBA-SP/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Once wired I turned it on and there was a little puff of smoke from the light and that was it. I would like to try again but I need to know what I did wrong. Any help would be great.

Thanks