Turbo Express screen upgrade - 3" RGB capable LCD neede

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:03 pm

the pinout u are going to be working with is RGB and sync pulled from the HU6260. It is available on gamesx.com, the TE has the same chip so u just pull from the same pins. Grahf said there is a 7805 regulator, but I didn't look for it when I had the metal plate off last time. That is going to be your power. So you need a screen that can accept RGB, Grahf please chime in here because I am not talking from experience for TE mods. I am very familiar with the HU6260 chip and tapping RGB from there (not hard at all). In fact u could probably tap the composite vid if you wanted to, but that wouldn't give the best picture possible.
arkowi wrote:i wonder if anyone has the info/pinout for the original screen. it seems to be the best bet would be to find something that was very similar and just plunk it in place...

grahf

Post by grahf » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:42 pm

Hey, sorry for not replying. I lost track of this thread. Yes, that regulator at the top should be the one to tap for power. Just hit it with a volt meter to be sure, but that's the one. Different part number, but still a regulator. Also, the grey goop doesn't need to be replaced. It's actually one of the mysteries of the Turbo Expresses.. Nobody can figure out why in the world they applied so much!

I did have a pin-out for the screen a while ago, but its not much more than RGB/sync from what I remember. As a matter of fact, the plug for the TV tuner on the side lets you feed RGB signal into the unit there, which is the way the tuner got its input onto the screen. All of this is useless anyway, since we're talking about REPLACING the screen. Just tap your RGB off of the HU6260 and be done with it.

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Welcome back Grahf. Did you get any photos that you could post up of the screen upgrade project. I think this is really cool because this is the first I have seen or heard of someone doing (I was hoping to be the first, LOL). In your opinion this mod wasn't worth doing unless the screen was trashed??? Maybe we can remove more circuitry from the Casio to make it lighter (or are we pretty much SOL there)?
grahf wrote:Hey, sorry for not replying. I lost track of this thread. Yes, that regulator at the top should be the one to tap for power. Just hit it with a volt meter to be sure, but that's the one. Different part number, but still a regulator. Also, the grey goop doesn't need to be replaced. It's actually one of the mysteries of the Turbo Expresses.. Nobody can figure out why in the world they applied so much!

I did have a pin-out for the screen a while ago, but its not much more than RGB/sync from what I remember. As a matter of fact, the plug for the TV tuner on the side lets you feed RGB signal into the unit there, which is the way the tuner got its input onto the screen. All of this is useless anyway, since we're talking about REPLACING the screen. Just tap your RGB off of the HU6260 and be done with it.

arkowi

Post by arkowi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:17 am

if anyone has some thoughts on a good 3" LCD for this mod, please let me know.

arkowi

Post by arkowi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:34 pm

just a little update on my project. i'll probably start a full thread once this project gets under way.

pulled the old turbo express out of the attic, it was in pieces.

i got the back side with the battery compartment wired back to the main board as well as connected the controller board which also runs the speaker.

threw some fresh batteries in and threw bonks adventure in there. no screen, but i got the bonk opening game music. yeeha! can't believe this thing still runs. closing in on 16 years ago that i got it.

the case on this thing is seriously beat to crap, so i have some big plans for spicing it up. the first step though is to get it running on a 3" lcd. can anyone give me some approx dimensions (width x height) on a 3" screen?

edit: i am also thinking about adding the region hack/switch so i can run street fighter II w/o the converter. where can i find info on that?

grahf

Post by grahf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm sorry, I havn't taken any pics. I would seriously discount the casio screen. I did remove all the extra TV crap, but the boards are just way too thick. I sandwitched them really tightly together, and its still over an inch thick. Plus, the the RGB off of the HU6260 is a little bit out of spec, so the additional CXA1645/etc video IC is need to amp the signal.. Its just too heavy, and too power hungry in the end. This project will get redone someday, once a more suitable LCD is found.

My modded casio screen is here with me in Japan, possibly to be used on another project. My TurboExpress in back in the US, awaiting a more suitable screen.

arkowi: The region mod is the same as other TG/PCE systems. Just have to criss-cross 8 wires on the hucard slot. Its REALLY tight in there, but i've done it 3 times on Expresses. Just use suitable wire and you'll be ok. The hardest part will be finding room for the 8-pole double throw switch you need. It's massive!

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:53 pm

you can find some info on region switching on my website:

http://www.geocities.com/duo_r@sbcglobal.net

It does need a tutorial upgrade with photos (coming sometime soon hopefully). There are other tutorials out there that u can lookup. As far as region mod, I think I found a good spot if you are ok with relocating the Turbolink Port. Relocate the Turbolink port using a mini jack stereo connector, and have the region button popping out where turbolink port used to be. There is space behind the batter compartment that you can work with (might need a little trimming of the plastic, but you won't be able to tell the difference externally). I am going to be attempting one soon and can share some photos (and will make a new guide).
grahf wrote:I'm sorry, I havn't taken any pics. I would seriously discount the casio screen. I did remove all the extra TV crap, but the boards are just way too thick. I sandwitched them really tightly together, and its still over an inch thick. Plus, the the RGB off of the HU6260 is a little bit out of spec, so the additional CXA1645/etc video IC is need to amp the signal.. Its just too heavy, and too power hungry in the end. This project will get redone someday, once a more suitable LCD is found.

My modded casio screen is here with me in Japan, possibly to be used on another project. My TurboExpress in back in the US, awaiting a more suitable screen.

arkowi: The region mod is the same as other TG/PCE systems. Just have to criss-cross 8 wires on the hucard slot. Its REALLY tight in there, but i've done it 3 times on Expresses. Just use suitable wire and you'll be ok. The hardest part will be finding room for the 8-pole double throw switch you need. It's massive!
[/url]

arkowi

Post by arkowi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:23 am

grahf:

thanks for the info, based on what you had said before i had given up on the casio screen. i am going to look elsewhere. ill keep this thread updated as i look for a screen.

duo_r:
thanks for the info on the switch. i have the help of a friend who happens to be an electrical engineer, so he is going to be most helpful with this mod.

duo_r

Re: Turbo Express screen upgrade - 3" RGB capable LCD neede

Post by duo_r » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:38 pm

Grahf,

first - where did you mount your region switch? I see plenty of space behind the battery compartment. The ideal location is where the Turbolink port is. I could easily put it there and relocate the turbolink port.

2nd - here is something strange that I need help with: I obtained a unit that had bad caps, but after replacing discovered the unit does not work when plugged into the AC adapter. It only works on battery power. I think I have it narrowed down, but any ideas why that is?

grahf

Post by grahf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:49 am

Did you just replace the audio caps? I had one unit that needed ALL the caps replaced. It's possible you need to do the same, since half the caps are now fresh, and the other half are degraded.

For my region mods, I mostly used a little IC based PCB that I had made up. Unfortunately they are all gone now (I used to mod PCE stuff on the side).
Here: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2806.0
I don't have any left. However, you can find room for a physical 8-contact switch. Its just very tight.

In other news, I plan to do some work on my Express once I get back to the US. I'll keep you guys updated. Also, I think I still have a bunch of SMD caps for fixing the sound/power issues. They are harder to work with of course, but just like the original ones.

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:38 pm

problem fixed, it was actually something jammed in the power connector port (small piece of foil). No idea how it got in there, but it is now working well. I did slightly damage a SMD component while tracing the board (I was scraping back some glue) but it works fine. Maybe I will upload a snap of what it was. It sort of looked like a cap, but had some sort of cover on the top. The unit is totally fine tho.

So the best spot I could see would be to put a switch where the turbolink port is, and just relocate the turbolink port using a minijack connector. Anywhere else u think it would fit? Where can I get the CD4551IC's cheap, cause I could just build that and have more places i could put the switch.

Also - from my research, it seams the switch board mods don't work well with TG-16's and PC Engines when docked with a CD unit. Is that true? My theory is the 5V draw on the CD-Rom units not allowing the IC's to get proper voltage.
grahf wrote:Did you just replace the audio caps? I had one unit that needed ALL the caps replaced. It's possible you need to do the same, since half the caps are now fresh, and the other half are degraded.

For my region mods, I mostly used a little IC based PCB that I had made up. Unfortunately they are all gone now (I used to mod PCE stuff on the side).
Here: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2806.0
I don't have any left. However, you can find room for a physical 8-contact switch. Its just very tight.

In other news, I plan to do some work on my Express once I get back to the US. I'll keep you guys updated. Also, I think I still have a bunch of SMD caps for fixing the sound/power issues. They are harder to work with of course, but just like the original ones.

grahf

Post by grahf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am

Glad you got it going again. I'm getting really eager to work on mine once I get back to the US.

I never had any problems with IC based region mods, but I always mounted the boards as close as possible with decent gauge wire. I have heard other people saying that though.. It's possibly a power problem. The other thing is that there is a measurable increase in resistance when feeding the signal though the ICs. It shouldn't be enough to cause lost data, but I suppose if the connections weren't perfect it could.

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:19 am

Cool grahf, thanks for all the replies. Seams like TE modding is a rare thing these days. I now have 2 TE units, and since I decided not to mess with the boxed one I initially obtained, the 2nd unit is going to get the full treatment. Do you have a suggestion on where to find the CD4551 IC's since they are pricey everywhere I look.

Duo
grahf wrote:Glad you got it going again. I'm getting really eager to work on mine once I get back to the US.

I never had any problems with IC based region mods, but I always mounted the boards as close as possible with decent gauge wire. I have heard other people saying that though.. It's possibly a power problem. The other thing is that there is a measurable increase in resistance when feeding the signal though the ICs. It shouldn't be enough to cause lost data, but I suppose if the connections weren't perfect it could.

grahf

Post by grahf » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:51 am

I'm sorry but I don't remember where I got them.. It could have been Jameco.com. Check them out if you haven't already. Good idea on keeping the one sealed.

I have a Japanese Duo-R back in the US that is in great shape with an S-video mod (not region modded since I own mostly PCE hucards, and CDs are region free). I'm thinking of selling it rather than let it collect dust. Once my Express is set up with a decent screen and TV out i'll use that for my main system. In the future I want to put together a nice briefcase system for CD gaming.

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 am

Why would u want to get rid of the Duo-R? I think that is the best system overall (most reliable).