Turbo Express screen upgrade - 3" RGB capable LCD neede

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

duo_r
Re: Turbo Express screen upgrade - 3" RGB capable LCD neede

Post by duo_r » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:19 am

Grahf, seeing if you are still around. Any ideas on a different LCD screen for the Turbo Express?

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:44 am

At least cheap ebay car backup screens are more plentiful than they were almost 2 years ago when you started this project. There has been talk about modding these to output RGB but the idea dismissed, as any display improvement would be unnoticible and "not worth the trouble." I really wouldn't know how to even go about trying such a thing, and even if it was possible (for arguement's sake) on some models, there is so many different kinds of 3.5" and below screens that finding the same board would be damn near impossible.

When I did look into this a while ago, for some sort of gamegear screen replacement, I seem to vaguely remember stumbling on a spec sheet for a 3.5" screen that at least claimed it had RGB output and/or compatibility. Weather or not this claim was factual I couldn't tell you, if it was then let's hope that such screens become more readily available soon.

grahf

Post by grahf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:31 am

This is actually the first time i've been here in a year or so, since I got an email about thread updates. Unfortunately no, I don't have any new ideas for a screen. I remember people saying that one of those dealextreme lcds could take RGB, but i've got no idea. Sorry I can't add anything else.

Soop

Post by Soop » Thu May 19, 2011 9:49 am

Found a 2.5" here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-2-5-TFT-LCD ... 4840709dfb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

c_mon
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by c_mon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:40 am

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... -gaZpJSTDQ

I think this tv accapts RGB. I used this screen a few times with my portables and I saw solder points on the motherboard which are labelled R G and B. It has two boards inside; one motherboard and one daughterboard. Daughterboard is not necessary if you are using this screen for video and audio only. Daughterboard carries the components for analog tv and recharge circuit. So, dimensions are very close to e-bay 3.5" car video screens. Try it and if you reach a good result, please make a how to for this screen swaping mod. Good luck!
I TAKE COMMISSIONS FOR CNC-ROUTED CASES AND PORTABLES... JUST P.M. ME!