Say Hello to the new DSi

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel
Say Hello to the new DSi

Post by nightwheel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:07 am

Nintendo has just announced a DS today called the DSi. As some have expected, they dropped the GBA slot. But, it gained another touch screen, giving the DS two touch screen now. Better sounding speakers, A tad bit smaller since they dropped the GBA slot, But here the kicker, it also come with 2 cameras built in. The one camera is on top of the DS. And the other is on the hinge. There are more things to tell but I'll just give you a link so you can see for your self: http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/02/nint ... s-the-dsi/

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:58 am

Interesting but it is only a single touchscreen. Seriously what good would 2 touchscreens do ?
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:04 am

Holy ****...

And SWEET! New Mario RPG confirmed. Kind of weird how they just kind of snuck that in there.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:39 am

For me as a homebrew user, I'm disappointed. No up in the CPU power. I have no use for the cameras. The GBA slot is gone. The only thing that remotely interests me is the SD card slot, but my M3Real already has an SD slot, so...
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:05 pm

nitro2k01 wrote:For me as a homebrew user, I'm disappointed. No up in the CPU power. I have no use for the cameras. The GBA slot is gone. The only thing that remotely interests me is the SD card slot, but my M3Real already has an SD slot, so...
A part of me thinks they didn't make it for homebrew users... :lol:

I think it's cool. Sure, the GBA slot being gone sucks, but for most casual users, that's no big deal. It'll be interesting what they offer on the download channel. Seeing as web browsing is now an option, I wonder if they'll revamp PictoChat to be online as well. The SD card slot is a nice improvement, and the bigger screens are always a plus. The only thing that really concerns me about it is the fact that they've added dual touch screen support. First of all, I think that's kinda pointless, but second, that effectively splits their market in half. If a game is developed for dual-touch use, then only DSi players can play that game. You're essentially putting 81 million users in the dark. It also looks like it's not glossy anymore, but matte. I liked the gloss, personally, but I can see why they might remove it.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:58 pm

I was going to say that the lack of a GBA slot it's that bad, but now we can't even use the guitar grip, the rumble pack, or the expansion pack for the web browser. (Not that anyone uses that.)

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for someone to figure out how to run homebrew off the SD card. It'll also be interesting to see if people can run software from the online shop on a DS lite with a flash card.

Am I the only one not digging the new power button?

Other than those things, it's a DS lite, so I don't have a problem with that. I probably won't get one though because I already have a DS lite and a flashcard.
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 pm

I think Nintendo is being stupid. The GBA to SP and DS fat to DS lite were ok upgrades, there was nothing that added to what it could do so it didn't alienate early adopters. If they're going to make such big changes, they should make it a whole new system.

xtrmgam3r360

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:37 pm

i think this looks pretty cool, since i'm still using my DS phat i'll probably buy this, but i'll still keep the phat for gba games.

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:43 pm

I always preferred playing Gba games on my SP anyway.

totokan

Post by totokan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:46 pm

it still has only one touchscreen, not two. That's faulty information or translation, though I'm not sure which.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:Holy ****...

And SWEET! New Mario RPG confirmed. Kind of weird how they just kind of snuck that in there.
is it being done with Square?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:04 pm

grossaffe wrote:

Probably not, it looked like a new Superstar Saga game, not RPG. Same damn thing, though. :P

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

Probably not, it looked like a new Superstar Saga game, not RPG. Same damn thing, though. :P
Yeah, sorry for misleading you grossaffe.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:37 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

Never played Superstar, but I have a hard time believing it lived up to the original.

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:01 am

grossaffe wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:
grossaffe wrote:

Never played Superstar, but I have a hard time believing it lived up to the original.
It's a complete different series but with many of the same elements from SMRPG. Doesn't really live up to it, but it shouldn't have to since it's not a sequel.