broken psp umd drive

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

DK
Re: Hard Drive in a PSP.

Post by DK » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Pimptimus_Prime wrote:Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltRTrtFyqUU
Are you aware that was deemed fake by AcidMods themselves... :roll:

Check out Acidmods forum where they're working on a proper version of it :D

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Hmm...

Would ISOs work on online play if I rip out the UMD drive?

DK

Post by DK » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:00 am

Yep, I tried with worms 2. Just make sure it's the full ISO instead of a CSo which may have had the feature removed.

Of course, as it's a back up of a UMD you own you'll be sure not to remove the feature :wink:

BoomBox-Creations

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:57 am

The UMD drive actually can be fixed. honestly, it is better to have the UMD drive than not to have it.

especially if you dont have any friends that dont have PSPs and ones that dont have a custom firmwared PSP.....

but to custom firmware a PSP, whihc allows you to play games off ur mem stick, go here: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=26459

DK

Post by DK » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:23 am

BoomBox-Creations wrote:The UMD drive actually can be fixed. honestly, it is better to have the UMD drive than not to have it.
I can't really see the use of one tbh. Games load quicker using ISOs on a memory stick. They use less power and you don't have to carry around the fragile UMDs.

BoomBox-Creations

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:05 pm

i do use it sometimes, if im too lazy to rip the games to disc and put on a mem card....

dragonball345

Post by dragonball345 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Yea i was pretty solid member of acidmods for a while and pvp (guy who made that mod) never really released how to do it. It was more or less the ipod running linux and the drive replaced the umd drive. Was cool but hasnt been released ignore the guys post above me.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:18 pm

No, it was indeed fake. The pod linux thing was speculated on, but never proved. There is no way he could have fit it. In addtion, NO pics. All we have is a picture of a USB cable coming out of a hole.

Excellent

DK

Post by DK » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:06 am

dragonball345 wrote:Yea i was pretty solid member of acidmods for a while and pvp (guy who made that mod) never really released how to do it. It was more or less the ipod running linux and the drive replaced the umd drive. Was cool but hasnt been released ignore the guys post above me.
wait... Are you saying I'm lying...?

http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=13380.0
Notice how the posts by PvP have all mysteriously vanished from acidmods?
And how all the members seem to hate him? Basically it's all a lie.

I followed the project from the start and I can tell you that for one ting, if a group of hackers working on iPodLinux can't get USBHost software running on the iPod, I doubt an electrical engineering student can on his own.
If you want a project that's actually real, try this one http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=20885.0

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:10 pm

so what options would i have if I take my umd drive out?
all I know of so far is the longer battery mod and the huge speaker mod. Any others?
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:06 am

You could just make it a holding area for memory sticks.

BoomBox-Creations

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:19 am

heres a list of what i know you can do, but do a google search for it....

Speaker mod,

battery mod

extra internal memory mod

inbuilt camera mod ( i think this can also be done with keeping the disc tray in )

different card readers ( eg. micro SD, SD, XD, etc.... )

L2 & R2 buttons mod

microphone mod

sub screen mod

second-battery mod

calculator mod

mobile mod

QWERTY keyboard mod

well, the list is endless.....

but i still do recommend keeping the UMD drive in there in case you dont have any friends that have a custom firmwared PSP or a psp at all.....

but it is your choice....

just remember that everything on that list that i had said will cost more than $10 each...

especially for the sub screen mod, i think it cost me around $600 AU to put one on a friends PSP, and it was hard to wire the 2 screens so they both work...

all he wanted was to make the screen show the same, so another person could see what he was doing...

and i have done all fo these atleast once except for the mobile mod, for other people, nd it costed me greatly, but i made them pay double..... plus 10% of what it costed me i carged per hour....

so the inbuilt camera costed me i think $850 AU all up, so i charged the person $1700 for the mod itself, + 10% of $850 per hour, which it took i think exactly 19 hours including the research, so $85 x 19h = $1615

so total it cost him $1700 + $1615 = $3315AU plus without his PSP for i think it was 48 hours, that included custom firmwaring it for free of charge, otherwise there will be no point of not having a UMD drive....

So if you get me to do it, it will cost you a lot..... i think thats around $1700 US isnt it?

but i only do for friends only for now.....

maybe one day ill set up a buisness on to do this... but if yer want the info for these mods, i seriously dont have time to supply links or to write a tutorial, i barely had enough time to write this....

cya
Last edited by BoomBox-Creations on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:14 am

Cut the lying Boombox. Seriously, you're embarrassing yourself.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:43 am

yeah, the guy seriously payed $1700 for something he didn't even want... :roll:
what mod do you guys recommend then? I was kinda leaning towards the l2 r2 mod...
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:27 am

Good grief this is getting a little silly. :roll:

I feel like I'm back in High School.

"Dude I totally put a 30" woofer in my friends car and we run it off a Punch 45 amp."

"It costs like $3000 but my friend said it was fine because his dad is rich and he paid for it to go in his Pinto"

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance