broken psp umd drive

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch
broken psp umd drive

Post by eurddrue » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:23 am

I just bought a psp for $40, but it has a broken umd drive, I was wondering if there is a reason that there are so many psps with broken umd drives, and if they all just have a simple problem like something coming unplugged or maybe a fuse or something.

and advice on fixing it would be accepted also.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:02 pm

$40? Sweet! Awesome deal there, mine was $54.

The problem may be easy (Dirty laser) but most likely, it is something wrong that cannot be fixed.

Why in the world would you even WANT the UMD drive? I got mine, ripped it out, threw a massive li-ion cell in it. I needed the cell back for another project, now I plan on putting a big speaker and amp in there. Just mod the PSP so you can run games off the memory stick. :) Make sure to buy the real games, though, and then use a friends PSP to back up the ISO off the disc. Then, because the mem stick is not a backup copy, but a main copy, you should crack the real UMD in half.

Because downloading games off the internet, is illegal.

Excellent

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Ummm ok, I'm pretty sure that it's not just a dirty laser, because I was there last year when he dropped it and it hasn't worked since.

would a four gig memory card be enough to save movies and games on? I haven't really ever worked with a psp, except playing god of war on one friends.

it was $55 but he knocked it down to fourty because I asked a few girls out at our school.

how would I go about modding my psp to load out of the memory stick?
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Most PSP games are around 500-600 megs each. I use a 4gb mem stick, I keep 3 games, a bunch of youtube movies, a SNES, NES, genesis, GBC, GBA, and N64 emulator with tons of games for each. I also have two PSX games. With all that, I still have a bit of room left for music and stuff.

Check the stickys for instructions on how to mod your PSP.

Excellent

Valium

Post by Valium » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Some of the more recent Psp games are above 1Gb, such as God of War, which is around 1.3Gb.

Check the sticky, the pandora battery is the only thing you'll be able to use to put custom firmware on it.

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:13 pm

ok, palmertech, you beat me, how do I open the psp up? I took out all of the screws except the ones that are in the umd drive, how do you get them out?
wallydawg wrote:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:55 pm

Google "PSP disassemble". I think the guide I used specifically told you how to replace a UMD drive.

Have you even managed to get the faceplate off? Look out for the screw hidden underneath the battery cover sticker, and the ones on the bottom and top edges of the case.

What mod are you planning on doing?

Excellent

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:05 pm

just decided not to do any mod, except making a pandora's battery and putting some emulators on it.
wallydawg wrote:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:57 pm

I would highly recommend a SNES dpad mod... BTW, the one floating on some blog out there (I believe he is a forum member here?) is, IMO, very fake. I do not see how he could have done it.

Excellent

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:59 pm

I was wondering if I could pssibly put an old Ipod harddrive in where the umd drive was and make sort of a super memory card with like somewhere between 20-80 gigs of memory
wallydawg wrote:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Short answer: *NO*

Long answer (Not really, just longer): Yes, but only with about $200 in parts, and the resulting mod will suck power like crazy. If you are interested, I can elaborate on my idea, but I do not think it is practical at all.

Excellent

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:05 pm

palmertech wrote:Short answer: *NO*

Long answer (Not really, just longer): Yes, but only with about $200 in parts, and the resulting mod will suck power like crazy. If you are interested, I can elaborate on my idea, but I do not think it is practical at all.
Could you elaborate?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:09 am

Gee, thanks. I knew SOMEONE would have to make me elaborate. :roll:

It is a long, long write up. I will post tomorrow with some pics, schematics, and software. Maybe someone can take the responsibility for this project off me. :lol:

Excellent

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Gah, double post.

Ok, still really busy, writing this up will take a while. In REALLY short summary:

PSP has no usb host, serial is too slow, You can, however, stream games to the PSP from a computer with usb host.

Simple version: Built tiny, low power computer, hook up via USB to hard drive and psp, run USBhostFS, use IRshell on the PSP to initiate connection, stream from the hard drive.

I will have some more info when I get an hour or two to write this up.

Excellent

Pimptimus_Prime

Hard Drive in a PSP.

Post by Pimptimus_Prime » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:14 pm