GBA SP front light on original GBA? EDIT: YES! pix soon!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:23 am

I smell BS. Post pics and explain how to get the frontlight on the GBA or it never happened.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:30 am

I call internet jerk. :lol:

Would you be happy with pics of the dead setup? All it needs is a new led panel. Be careful calling bs on someone who knows more about the GBA than you. You owe me an e-cookie if I am telling the truth. :wink:

Excellent

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:59 am

Bibin wrote:I smell BS. Post pics and explain how to get the frontlight on the GBA or it never happened.
look up the afterburner. that is a simple way to get a GBA frontlight.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:38 am

palmertech wrote:I call internet jerk. :lol:

Would you be happy with pics of the dead setup? All it needs is a new led panel. Be careful calling bs on someone who knows more about the GBA than you. You owe me an e-cookie if I am telling the truth. :wink:
Taking it a *bit* too seriously - I'd be glad to see pics of the dead unit, and maybe some examples on how you fit it in there?

Don't assume you know more than me though; I've gone through my share of afterburner kits, and gotten the GB micro to boot into GameBoy color mode (it's not possbile to get a game running as of yet, though. You can thank buggy code on DWedit's part for the GBC mode, proving that the GB micro does contain the vital Z80 processor responsible for GBC-mode games and the hardware sound channels)

The idea behind calling BS on such a clearly possible project is to try and incur a response that gives me information I'm looking for - it seems to have worked
grossaffe wrote:
Bibin wrote:I smell BS. Post pics and explain how to get the frontlight on the GBA or it never happened.
look up the afterburner. that is a simple way to get a GBA frontlight.
Look up the "it's not available anymore", and the sites that do sell it are mostly illegit sites that scam you into buying things that will never be sent to you. :P

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:16 am

last I checked it could still be found on ebay, but bottom line is that frontlights are entirely possible.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:18 am

Palmer you have 24 hours to produce or your full of crap.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:26 am

Dr. KillGood wrote:Palmer you have 24 hours to produce or your full of crap.
What is it at the moment with your postings, Dr. KillGood? Not very friendly.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:43 am

@Bibin: I kinda figured that was your intent, that is why I put the smiley. ;) And you may underestimate me, read my uber-long post about gbc mode on the micro I made recently, people have found a new method. I was talking to a few software guys, and I built a prototype 3.3-5v converter cartridge. I have been trying to get in touch with them, but they seem to have dropped off the net. :( Currently, I am talking to a few forum members here, I made my post mainly based on stuff that I heard during group chats between the software people, so I am fairly clueless on the actual method they were using. However, I do know the hardware well enough. I might have the chat logs on my dead laptop, gotta see if I can fix it.

Afterburners are impossible to get for under $70 USD. Way too much.

@Dr. Killgood: Stop trolling, please. However, I do take up your 24 hour challenge. :roll: I really wanted to post pics of the final setup... I have one more trick up my sleeve, if it does not work, pics of the dead modded led panel and of my modded case (Note that I did a pretty ugly job, I just wanted to see if it worked on my old, scratched up GBA case, and if it did, move it over to my glacier clear case. :)

Excellent

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 am

What are you even doing? Taking GBASP screens and putting them into a GBA? How wouild take work? Did you rewire the FFC? You just saying I'm swapping screens is really confusing and makes it looks like a bunch of BS...to me atleast....so Pics or it didn't happen...sowwy.:)

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:57 am

It sounds like he is just taking the front light assembly off an SP screen and putting it on a GBA screen. Pretty much an afterburner, but better and cheaper.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 am

Woah, just noticed I messed up the title. It should be "GBA SP front light on original GBA". Can a mod change that?

I would explain, but I am about to go someplace to try to figure this problem out. Expect an answer within 3 or 4 hours, and pics sometime after that.

Excellent

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:00 am

palmertech wrote:Woah, just noticed I messed up the title. It should be "GBA SP front light on original GBA". Can a mod change that?
Edit the subject of your first post.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:09 am

Odd, a few years ago when I disassembled my SP (stupid little screws) it seemed as though the two were one and the same; maybe I just didn't look enough.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:14 am

You mean the screens were the same? Definitely not. I fact, I have an original GBA with a screen that is different from my other ones! Parts supplier change, maybe.
If my latest idea works, we will have a reliable, endless, $12 shipped source for backlights. Also, the NGPC, while possible to light using an afterburner, leaves a few pixels on the top and bottom unlighted. My method should fix that. ;) Exciting times!

Excellent

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:11 am

How did you take out the light assembly? Is it in the screen? becasue I couldn't find any damn leds in there.just some strips of silver but the screen ios broken so I don't know if the lights still work or not...I wuold love to reuse them for my front lit GBC...