So are you going to get an openpandora (not the battery!)

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
CronoTriggerfan
Moderator
Posts: 4131
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Contact:

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:14 am

I too shall pick this up at launch. :D And don't forget the Quake II port running 100% software, no optimization whatsoever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGz52EIVN8s

Quake III porting is already well underway, and with fullspeed and sound PSX emulation along with every ported and optimized GP2x emulator available at launch, this thing will be a beast, no doubt.

That is, if these delays ever let up... :(
Image

User avatar
project_failure
Posts: 812
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:04 pm
Contact:

Post by project_failure » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:36 am

That is, if these delays ever let up... :(
don't count on it.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

tom61
Senior Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:51 pm

Post by tom61 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:14 pm

project_failure wrote:
That is, if these delays ever let up... :(
don't count on it.
Indeed.

It keeps getting said on the Open Pandora forums that the devs are waiting until it is 'perfect' before releasing it. You know what they say, "Nothing is ever perfect".

User avatar
CronoTriggerfan
Moderator
Posts: 4131
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Contact:

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:29 pm

tom61 wrote:
project_failure wrote:
That is, if these delays ever let up... :(
don't count on it.
Indeed.

It keeps getting said on the Open Pandora forums that the devs are waiting until it is 'perfect' before releasing it. You know what they say, "Nothing is ever perfect".
Yeah, I really appreciate the fact that they're trying to make the ultimate device for gamers and open-source nuts, but it's like a child. At some point you have to learn to let go.
Image

tom61
Senior Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:51 pm

Post by tom61 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:55 pm

From the Pandora blog: "The new analog nubs will be showcased on final pre-production PCBs in August." and "Software testing will begin in August." That seems to me to mean September is an optimistic estimate now for these to start shipping, October if you're pessimistic. I understand about the nub issue, but not having a decent software stack ready to go is a bit odd. Thus far nothing has been demo that has actually used the real controls, and everything seems to be launched from a connected PC.

The videos getting out and about now of emulators of lower end systems being emulated on the Pandora do bolster my optimism, but not too much.

PandaSNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5XGMrv25G0

T2K Jaguar emulator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_R787gREc

Picodrive (Sega Genesis/Megadrive) running without frame limitation on PSP, GP2X and Pandora prototype:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HhIt8A-d34

User avatar
CronoTriggerfan
Moderator
Posts: 4131
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Contact:

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:16 pm

Based on how much is going on in August, I'd say a September preorder and October shipping date, if you're optimistic, given the history of the product. I mean, they speculated at one point completed units would be in people's hands by June. :lol: While the emulation and game ports are impressive, the hardware really does need to be nailed down. The people over at GP32x are extremely petty about their controls, especially the analog nubs, which is the reason for the current delay. To tell you the truth, there has yet to be a video that shows the Pandora actually being played, just demos of stuff. Couple that with the fact that they've still got no OS (let alone GUI) to show off, it's not good, IMO.

I'm glad I've got this thread to say this stuff in, if I even MENTIONED it over there I'd be called a "troll" and get a temp ban. Stupid, no? :P
Image

User avatar
Negative_Creep
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: New Crack City
Contact:

Post by Negative_Creep » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:49 am

I hate to be a party pooper.. but is there any reason why this is even worth buying over a PSP? Since I already have PSP + CFW

It's a shame that I consider asthetics and looks too much. Ugly stuff ftl.

User avatar
CronoTriggerfan
Moderator
Posts: 4131
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Contact:

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:54 am

Negative_Creep wrote:I hate to be a party pooper.. but is there any reason why this is even worth buying over a PSP? Since I already have PSP + CFW

It's a shame that I consider asthetics and looks too much. Ugly stuff ftl.
You really can't compare the two at all. The Pandora is a gaming UMPC, while the PSP is a handheld game system. Pandora will have the ability to run just about every major PC app under the sun and have the necessary components (full QWERTY keyboard, WiFi, Bluetooth, touch screen) to utilize them to their fullest. Web browsing on it should be especially good. The battery life is also incredible.

Besides, the Pandora's just a beast. Go take a look at the stuff it can do already and what it's speculated can be done with it.
Image

User avatar
vskid
Senior Member
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:25 am
Steam ID: vskid3
Contact:

Post by vskid » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:23 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:You really can't compare the two at all. The Pandora is a gaming UMPC, while the PSP is a handheld game system. Pandora will have the ability to run just about every major PC app under the sun and have the necessary components (full QWERTY keyboard, WiFi, Bluetooth, touch screen) to utilize them to their fullest. Web browsing on it should be especially good. The battery life is also incredible.
I got rid of my PSP because it couldn't do enough. About all it could do good was play music, videos, and games. I'm not really into games any more, and the expensive storage makes it not very cost effective for media. So then I got my Lifebook. It does everything I need it to do, but its a bit too big to take anywhere and the battery doesn't last long. The Pandora is (to me) a perfect mix of power, capability, size, and battery life.
Image

User avatar
Negative_Creep
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: New Crack City
Contact:

Post by Negative_Creep » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:45 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:I hate to be a party pooper.. but is there any reason why this is even worth buying over a PSP? Since I already have PSP + CFW

It's a shame that I consider asthetics and looks too much. Ugly stuff ftl.
You really can't compare the two at all. The Pandora is a gaming UMPC, while the PSP is a handheld game system. Pandora will have the ability to run just about every major PC app under the sun and have the necessary components (full QWERTY keyboard, WiFi, Bluetooth, touch screen) to utilize them to their fullest. Web browsing on it should be especially good. The battery life is also incredible.

Besides, the Pandora's just a beast. Go take a look at the stuff it can do already and what it's speculated can be done with it.
Yeah I know it's a UMPC, but I have a PC to do PC stuff on. If I was going to buy a handheld i'd be playing games on it, and my PSP has CFW anyway. So i'm not sure this is really much better, unless an N64 or Dreamcast emulator comes out or something.

User avatar
nightwheel
Senior Member
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:49 am
PSN Username: nightwheel
360 GamerTag: nightwheel94
Steam ID: nightwheel
Location: Kentucky, We are KFC
Contact:

Post by nightwheel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:04 pm

I've been seriously thinking about getting a Pandora. (Cash willing of course.) The system appears to be coming along smoothly. And to those who think it's looking ugly. I would think when the pre-orders come. They will put all the nice looking touches on it. And Make it all nice and shinny.
Image

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

User avatar
CronoTriggerfan
Moderator
Posts: 4131
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Contact:

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:11 pm

I hate to bump such an arcane thread, but for everyone interested, they've announced that preorders will start on September 30th and the device will ship on November 13th. Let's hope they stick to it this time. :roll:
Image

User avatar
lifeisbetterwithketchup
Senior Member
Posts: 2180
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:08 pm
Steam ID: lifeisbetterwithketchup
Location: Illinois. Whee.
Contact:

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Also, fancy video of it in action on the second post from the top here. And it running Crysis here.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

User avatar
grossaffe
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by grossaffe » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:00 am

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:Also, fancy video of it in action on the second post from the top here. And it running Crysis here.
That is obviously just a video of Crysis being played on the thing, the movements don't match up with the controls

User avatar
colosalblack
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:29 am
Location: My house

Post by colosalblack » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Oh damn that thing is the awesomest thing ive ever seen. please tell me this is coming out to spain!!!!!!! if it does, i'll definitely get one

Post Reply