So are you going to get an openpandora (not the battery!)

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:22 pm

gannon wrote:Was going to sell my tablet and pick up the eeePC and mod it to be a smaller tablet, with this I'd keep my tablet and just use the open pandora as a surfing computer/notebook.
Interesting choice. I think it'd be rather lacking for anything but the quickest browsing on select sites. Browsing on such a small screen is a pain in my experience. Also, unless they're going to license Flash from Adobe, you'll be limited in your site choices further, as unfortunately, Flash for embedded Linux is not free as of yet. Nokia actually pays to have Flash on their tablets. There is a free/open Flash clone called Gnash, that while even the current compatibility is impressive, it still doesn't work on all sites.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Yeah, totally getting one. I've been being a watcher of those forums for a few weeks now, as well as lurking periodically from time to time before that. :lol: Seeing as I have absolutely no portable gaming console right now, I'll definitely be preordering one from the first batch. The only real complaints I have at this point are the fact that the build quality on the dev units looks a bit shoddy, and that they say Flash is likely, but they still can't guarantee anything. :( I'm just hoping the consumer unit will be more solid than, say, th GP2x. I loved mine, but they felt so cheap!

Edit @Tom: I was under the impression that Flash 7 or some other older version was now open-source so it could be tweaked for all sorts of devices? And even if they only manage limited compatibility, the only thing I'll really be on is YouTube and maybe IGN/GameTrailers, so I hope they can at least manage compatibility for those!
Last edited by CronoTriggerfan on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

extremesonic

Post by extremesonic » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:16 pm

Looks pretty cool, and the design is nice(minus those analog sticks, look hard to reach). Like many have said, I'd have to see how good emulation gets. In the end, I'll likely not get one, unless something really wows me. I've always been a 1 portable guy, so I'll stick with my DS lite w/R4 for now.
SNESp - 100%
Protable X - 15% - I need money :(

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:56 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Edit @Tom: I was under the impression that Flash 7 or some other older version was now open-source so it could be tweaked for all sorts of devices? And even if they only manage limited compatibility, the only thing I'll really be on is YouTube and maybe IGN/GameTrailers, so I hope they can at least manage compatibility for those!
I've not heard of any source releases from Macromedia or Adobe, so you're probably thinking of Gnash. The Wikipedia page(as the official site seems to be down ATM) says "Gnash can play SWF files up to version 7, as well as some features of the new version 8– 9 files." Last I had tried and heard (which was a few months ago, granted) Some sites, like pandora.com didn't work all the time. I'd really have to have pandora.com working on Pandora to really consider it.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:04 pm

A game by me might just happen to appear on that ;)

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Damn, I've got some other things on my wishlist, but this'll be put close to the top.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:30 pm

tom61 wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:Edit @Tom: I was under the impression that Flash 7 or some other older version was now open-source so it could be tweaked for all sorts of devices? And even if they only manage limited compatibility, the only thing I'll really be on is YouTube and maybe IGN/GameTrailers, so I hope they can at least manage compatibility for those!
I've not heard of any source releases from Macromedia or Adobe, so you're probably thinking of Gnash. The Wikipedia page(as the official site seems to be down ATM) says "Gnash can play SWF files up to version 7, as well as some features of the new version 8– 9 files." Last I had tried and heard (which was a few months ago, granted) Some sites, like pandora.com didn't work all the time. I'd really have to have pandora.com working on Pandora to really consider it.
Ahh, so that's where that comes from, thanks for clearing that up. But why is Pandora radio such a big point for you? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I keep all the music I like on a PMP of some sort; besides, internet radio is cool for listening to when sitting on the computer, but with the limits of WiFi, would Pandora radio really even be worthwhile on a mobile device?

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:18 pm

I think it was a joke on both the device and the website being called "Pandora".

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Bubbles wrote:I think it was a joke on both the device and the website being called "Pandora".
No, he has said before that one of his requirements for his dream portable device was being able to use Pandora.com.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:37 am

No Atom chip? :?
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:39 am

vskid wrote:
Bubbles wrote:I think it was a joke on both the device and the website being called "Pandora".
No, he has said before that one of his requirements for his dream portable device was being able to use Pandora.com.
If that's true I stand corrected.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:08 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote: But why is Pandora radio such a big point for you? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I keep all the music I like on a PMP of some sort; besides, internet radio is cool for listening to when sitting on the computer, but with the limits of WiFi, would Pandora radio really even be worthwhile on a mobile device?
While I have a DAP, a PMP, and plenty of other devices capable of playing static music, Pandora.com is more. Pandora is not just the songs that you know you like, but is the songs you like but don't even know about yet. Not a perfect system by any means, but I get exposed to a lot of new artists and songs I would've missed.

As for WiFi access, I'm in hotspots most of the day; my house, friends' houses, and school. Pandora.com tends to buffer at least one song, sometimes more, so I can even go between hotspots on a suitable device. Songs I really like get bought from Amazon.com MP3 (If available), and then are available during the times I'm away from a hotspot.

I don't quite like it enough to buy a AT&T or Sprint phone and the monthly fees that go along them (plus the pandora.com monthly fee). Nor, do I feel like switching to the similar service, Slacker.com, and purchasing the Slacker Personal Radio for $200-300 for a one function device(even if it does negate the hotspot issue greatly, by buffering a fair number of songs). The Nokia N800 and N810 come closest to getting my money for portable Pandora.com goodness, but their lack of game playing abilities, as well as the difficulties I've had with the Nokia 770, leave me thinking they're not worth their respective prices.
vskid wrote:
It was kind of a joke, but without having such abilities would seem weird. It is not an absolute requirement, but it would help it into the 'buy' category of my mind.

Check the Engadget posts about the Pandora handheld, you'll get a few people asking "Anyone else saw the title and thought a 'portable Pandora.com player'?"

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:34 am

I wasn't much interested in this until I noticed some of the things running on it.. that Final Fantasy VII running on the PSX emulator sealed it :)

Hopefully this will be more interesting than the rather gimpy GP2X tbh

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:34 am

I'm not gonna get on e, too pricy for my taste. Anyway, it has no blast proccesing so it will lag on Sonic.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:00 am

Grandmasterjimmy wrote:I'm not gonna get on e, too pricy for my taste. Anyway, it has no blast proccesing so it will lag on Sonic.
PSP and Xbox doesnt have any blast processing, and the Genesis emulators emulate Sonic flawlessly.