So are you going to get an openpandora (not the battery!)

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:17 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:
Grandmasterjimmy wrote:I'm not gonna get on e, too pricy for my taste. Anyway, it has no blast proccesing so it will lag on Sonic.
PSP and Xbox doesnt have any blast processing, and the Genesis emulators emulate Sonic flawlessly.

Even the sound is perfect?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:46 pm

Keep on topic, you Sega whores. :lol:

The Pandora is epic, but in all honesty, the one thing I'm really psyched about is finally being able to replay MGS before I shell out the dough for MGS4 and a PS3. I've not had a PS1 in forever, and the experience felt quite broken on the PSP.

Metal Gear?
OTACONNNNNN!!!!

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:21 pm

Grandmasterjimmy wrote:
Negative_Creep wrote:
Grandmasterjimmy wrote:I'm not gonna get on e, too pricy for my taste. Anyway, it has no blast proccesing so it will lag on Sonic.
PSP and Xbox doesnt have any blast processing, and the Genesis emulators emulate Sonic flawlessly.
*stupidest image ever of a stupid owl with an even stupider meme on that nobody finds funny anymore*

Even the sound is perfect?
Does anyone care? Just buy a pissing Nomad then.

@Crono: yeah I pretty much bought a PS3 just for that game, and Metal Gear Solid does suck on PSP. I mean you can't change to Disc 2 so yeah its not very good!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:26 pm

Negative_Creep wrote:@Crono: yeah I pretty much bought a PS3 just for that game, and Metal Gear Solid does suck on PSP. I mean you can't change to Disc 2 so yeah its not very good!
Amen, man. I still don't understand how stuff like the Psycho Mantis fight would work, what with the controller port swapping and all. At least with Pandora you should be able to hotswap the controller you're using in the settings. At least, I hope. :lol:

As for MGS4, Raiden better die a horrible, painful death. Oh, and Eva/Big Mama = WIN! :D

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Keep on topic, you Sega whores. :lol:

The Pandora is epic, but in all honesty, the one thing I'm really psyched about is finally being able to replay MGS before I shell out the dough for MGS4 and a PS3. I've not had a PS1 in forever, and the experience felt quite broken on the PSP.

Metal Gear?
OTACONNNNNN!!!!
Really? I've been playing through a Multi-disc eboot I created for MGS and have been quite pleased with the experience on psp. The only problems I have seen are voice sync issues during long codec scenes. Cut scenes run fine, gameplay is great. I am running 3.71 M33-4 which supports multi-disc eboots. There's an option in the menu to switch to the 2nd controller for battling Psycho Mantis and a grayed out "Switch Disc" option that I figure will light up when I get to the 2nd disc. I'm right at the disc change. I still have to beat Sniper Wolf and watch the scene. Then it should let me switch discs. I'll post again when I finish disc 1.

DK

Post by DK » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:09 pm

I just started playing MGS on the PSP. Great on the PSP except for the cut scene problems and the fact that I'm just a tad impacient sometimes and go trigger happy :twisted:

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:20 am

Finished disc 1 last night. Had a little more to do than I thought. Totally forgot about Tower A and B.

Anyway, the switch disc option worked great. I did have a cut scene problem with Sniper Wolf. Guess it happens to long cut scenes as well.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:27 am

NOT SPOILERS, but Raiden kicks ass really badly in MGS4, anyone who seen him in Act 2 knows exactly what i'm talking about, that scene was epic.

Still, I quite like MGS2 Raiden, I didn't really want to play a FOURTH game featuring Solid Snake going through the entire regime again, MGS2 and MGS3 was a nice change of pace

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:39 pm

I hate to branch so far off topic, but MGS4 is just so incredible. Glad I rented this PS3 to play it! :D The story's ending is fantastic, I was so happy to see a certain character show up at the very very end, as they're by far my second favorite, with Ocelot being the first (now even more so!) And I'm glad Raiden got a storybook ending, although his girlfriend is still a whiny little *insert sexist expletive here*.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:01 am

Nah Rosemary is cool.

So, anybody seen the PSX4PAND videos on youtube? Impressive stuff. FF7 yo

arfink

Post by arfink » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Back on topic again, I will be getting an Open Pandora. (given my summer job earns me enough money)

Just a couple thing I noticed people saying that I feel I should correct- the 600Mhz speed does not give you a good idea of the unit's speed. It's not an intel based processor, it's an ARM. As many of you know, ARM is extremely efficient, just slightly harder to program for. So, a 600Mhtz ARM can run things similar to a 1 or 2 Ghz Pentium once the program has been rewritten to support the new architecture. From the things I have seen it should not be out of the question to see full speed PS1 and N64 emulators running eventually, once the programmers get their act together. The development kits have already been shipped to a lot of programmers, and games and emulators are already in the works, as well as it's Linux based OS.

Also, because the unit is open source and Linux based, everything will be homebrew (ahem, open source) for the unit. Also, since it uses standard Linux libraries you can expect to see a lot of games and emulators from Linux being ported right away.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:55 pm

I don't know if I'd buy it or not. The lack of storage, and the fact that I have so many things that can emulate games already, it's not looking good for it.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm sort of considering it, but it will be a long ways away before I get it, if I ever do.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:21 am

arfink wrote:Just a couple thing I noticed people saying that I feel I should correct- the 600Mhz speed does not give you a good idea of the unit's speed. It's not an intel based processor, it's an ARM. As many of you know, ARM is extremely efficient, just slightly harder to program for. So, a 600Mhtz ARM can run things similar to a 1 or 2 Ghz Pentium once the program has been rewritten to support the new architecture.
What? No, no, no... It's more power --as in electricity-- efficient. It is not directly comparable to a 1GHz Pentium even with massive code optimizations on its side. The Cortex A8 is impressive, but even an original Pentium running at a GHz would beat it into the floor. A 1GHz P3 is able to emulate Dreamcast with NullDC or Chankcast, and there is no way the Pandora will ever seen a good, much less full, speed Dreamcast emulator.

nubie

Post by nubie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Think again, real program running on real pre-release pandora: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HhIt8A-d34
PicoDrive running Nitsuja's Sonic and Knuckles & Sonic 3 speedrun on 3 devices:

* PSP @ 333MHz (less optimized code)
* GP2X dualcore @ 235MHz
* Pandora devboard clocked at 500MHz with software scaling

All running on the same emulation accuracy. There is no sound (it's emulated, but not played) because the game doesn't sound very nice when running at those speeds.
Note that the standard clock for the OMAP in the Pandora is 600mhz, and the speed is way over 100, more like 160fps most of the time.

The GP2X had fullspeed with sound Genesis on most stuff (I don't know if it was accurate), while underclocked.

If you want to be amazed: Adventures of Batman & Robin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuLLYzaZaJ4
PicoDrive emulating Adventures of Batman & Robin, the slowest running Sega CD game on this emu. Running devices:

* PSP @ 333MHz (accurate renderer)
* GP2X singlecore @ 266MHz (fast renderer)
* Pandora devboard @ 500MHz (accurate renderer)

I messed up my settings, the GP2X has unfair advantage in this video.
We are talking SegaCD emulation!! (Picodrive was quite playable on the GP2X with SegaCD, but now it should be highly accurate.)

On the "Power" front
: ARM is a much better choice than ATOM or x86 because it use so much less power, this device is about 1/2 or less the size of an Eeepc yet has 2-4 times the battery life and not that much less processing power (at the default Eeepc clock it is slower, and if you clock it to 900mhz it is much much slower).

The Atom has to clock at 1.6ghz to get performance in the 800mhz-1.2ghz range for a Pentium3, at this point it draws much less than the pentium3 (about 2 watts I think), but it is still drawing more than the entire OMAP with a PowerVR SGX graphics accelerator and built in TV out and I/O (including USB Host and Dual SD card readers, as well as Audio).

Atom is not close to this handheld market yet. Atom is designed to be incorporated up to 8-12 times on a PC processor along with 2-4 standard Intel cores so that Intel can do Raytracing graphics acceleration and Physics in software on their CPU's.

I look forward to the Pandora, and trust me, there is a lot of homebrew waiting to be ported/written for this.

Just for completeness, PSX emulation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7sx8CrVLW8
This is psx4pandora running Final Fantasy 7. psx4pandora is a Playstation 1 emulator for the upcoming gaming handheld, Pandora.

This particular video shows the Pandora running at 600MHz. This is more true to how things will feel on the Pandora during normal gameplay, hovering around the NTSC 60FPS.

This is a higher quality video than previous attempts at recording.
He also has some Einhander and Wipeout videos of lesser quality: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=zodttd&p=r