PSP Screen Replacement

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
PSP Screen Replacement

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat May 31, 2008 3:16 am

Joy, just when my love of 3rd Party manufacturers(or providers...whatever) couldn't be at it's highest......I'm being sarcastic seriously.

Anyway lemme get to the point, a while back I had lent my PSP (old fat PSP) to a buddy of mine. Typically I trust him a lot when it comes to lending my expensive gadgets, but sadly that was trust was a little broken after a fiasco a few months ago. He evidently stored it in a backpack that he brought with him to work, but when he returned home he found the PSP screen cracked (LCD). Of course rendering it useless as is all LCDs that are cracked. I was a little irritated at first considering he didn't explain to me in full detail when he said he "broke my PSP." I blew some steam yahhhda yahhhda, then calmed down. A month or two before that incident I discovered some stores on Ebay were selling the LCDs designed for the older PSPs for like 25-35 bucks a pop, so i told him you can pay for the new LCD and we'll forget the whole thing happened. Frankly I don't care so much that he had broke it, it's just that now I am a little peed about those 3rd party peoples!! So I was working on my PSP a few nights ago and the screen burnt out...........running off the battery which may of only had a 75% charge.......so obvisously not a short or overload just a cruddy screen.....Ya, its made by SHARP. If i leave it alone for a few hours the screen will work for like 30 secs before fading into darkness. No, I do not store it in winter temperatures or extremely hot temperatures, nor in the sunlight. Got a case for freaking crying out loud. Not to mention it has been fine for several months until now.

I was going to ask if anybody knows a good company or place on the net whether its Ebay or not that I can find a replacement screen that is reliable for an older fatter PSP. Particularly the original SHARP LCD.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:07 am

Sounds like a loose connection. Open it up and check all your connections.

rikitheshadow

Probably not

Post by rikitheshadow » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:00 pm

I've tried re-connecting it and everything, maybe like a dozen times. I mean I can keep trying, but I'm not sure if it would make any difference. If it was loose in the first place it wouldn't work for even 30 secs, on account of the pressure of the screen on top of the connectors. Highly doubt they would just become loose after little or no G-forces.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:31 am

It sounds kinda like it is the backlight that is crapping out. Try to get it to a screen that has high contrast (like white with a large dark spot). Then get a flashlight and shine it where the white is and if the LCD is still working, then it is the backlight.
This works because of the way LCDs work. They pretty much have tons of little windows that open to let out light from the backlight. So on a white screen, all the windows are open, while on black they're all closed. So when you shine the light in, it goes in backwards from what it usually does and then lights up the light diffuser. Just a nice way to test if it is a backlight or LCD problem.

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am

vskid wrote:It sounds kinda like it is the backlight that is crapping out.
Does anybody know if the backlight is LED or CCFL? If it is a tube you may as well attempt to make it run off LEDs instead. Better battery life, maybe?

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:39 am

It's LEDs.

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:40 am

If it's LEDs I can't imagine them fading like that. It must be a circuitry problem. If not a connector (which it seems like you've checked a few times already) then it might be a bad solder joint somewhere? Could be at the LEDs themselves in the new display.