Mega Drive handheld (via Play Asia) - Anyone know this?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

fruitbane
Mega Drive handheld (via Play Asia) - Anyone know this?

Post by fruitbane » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:20 pm

So I saw one of these (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-8y- ... -2f9m.html) at Play Asia. Reports seem to be that it's pretty good. The question is, how hackable is it?

If this thing can get a cartridge slot easily added it might just be a great replacement for the Nomad.

That is to say, if a cart slot can be added and a soldering non-expert like me can add it, I'm buying one ASAP.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:42 am

I haven't looked at that thing but it's just as plausible that you can or can't hook up a cart port. It could be a all in one chip in there, with no external address or bus lines. Or it could be a CPU chip and a separate ROM IC.
The only way to know for sure is to buy it and open it up. It's not terribly expensive. And if you can take a reasonably hi-res picture of the inside of it, both I and other people will be there to help you the best we can.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:44 am

If someone can find a proper games list I'll buy one.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

fruitbane

Post by fruitbane » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:00 am

Well, here's a bothersome quote from another forum...

"And I have a source inside TecToy (well, is a friend of mine who knows some guy who work on TecToy) and I know that this will be almost impossible to hack, because the roms are "zipped" inside the FPGA and if you want to play another rom using it, you'll have to reprogram the FPGA. I really hope that this thing is "hackable", a portable Mega Drive for children is a great idea"

And here's a link to someone's photo gallery of one.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonfolkers/ ... tSFZGwKba4
Last edited by fruitbane on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruitbane

Post by fruitbane » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:06 am

Also, here is a games list nabbed from AtariAge. If it's accurate this would be an interesting buy.

"# Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
# Alien Storm
# Altered Beast
# Arrow Flash
# Columns III
# Crack Down
# Decap Attack
# Dr. Robotnik´s Mean Bean Machine
# Ecco
# Ecco Jr.
# E-SWAT: Cyber Police City Under Siege
# Flick