PSP with external memory

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

DK
PSP with external memory

Post by DK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm

I'm sure many peeps here have seen PvP's PSP mod to allow it 30 gig of memory from whats thought to be an iPod, which also acts as the USB Host or for those who havnt.

I've been wracking my brains about this since I first read about it as I've ran out of memory for my PSP. It's thought to be a ipod running USB Host software via iPodlinux, but on their site it claims that the USB Host function of iPodlinux isn't yet working. Also I can't figure out how it all fits, an iPod, harddrive and battery all in the UMD drives place. Can anyone trow some light onto this problem?

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 pm

Alright, here's my take on this.....it's complete and total crap! I can totally understand not releasing something if you're trying to perfect it first, but the only proof he's provided is two videos, which we all know can easily be faked. I've read through almost all of PVP's posts regarding how he created this device, and in more than one case people have noted that PVP has almost no coding experience. If that's the case, then there's no way he created a custom device with a specially programmed microcontroller. He's also stated that he's working on making the PSP act as a USB host so you can use any usb drive. I'm not saying it can't be done, but someone with as little coding experience as he supposedly has won't be able to do it. You don't just jump feet first into a project on the scale of what he's talking about and conquer it as quickly as he supposedly has. If it was that easy, someone would have already figured it out already. Not to mention that if he's gotten USB working on iPod Linux, he's done more than the iPod Linux developers have been able to accomplish.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly issue an apology for calling him a liar and I'll be more than happy to do so if he ever proves me wrong.

ZN13
Steam ID:Z_Nelson13

Post by ZN13 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:05 pm

I think it would be better if you just wired a CF slot to the MS slot, and then into the UMD bay.
Why is it that every time I post in a thread, it dies?
:lol:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:07 pm

ZN13 wrote:I think it would be better if you just wired a CF slot to the MS slot, and then into the UMD bay.
Since that is so much more realistic. (not)

:wink:

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:15 pm

The best way that I can tell to connect a hard drive to a PSP without having to know the hardware and firmware forwards, backwards, and upside down is like this.

Neo Flash makes a device that allows you to connect a compact flash card through the memory stick slot. Compact flash and IDE are fully compatible using nothing more than an adapter, which doesn't require any microcontrollers to translate the protocols. These adapters can be purchased for next to nothing. Using both of the devices, and spending some time on it, you could have a PSP accessing an IDE hard drive. It would be ugly, but I'm pretty certain that it would work.

ZN13

Post by ZN13 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:24 pm

vskid wrote:
ZN13 wrote:I think it would be better if you just wired a CF slot to the MS slot, and then into the UMD bay.

See, it would work (look up).

My way just sounds cooler.

DK

Post by DK » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:41 am

vskid wrote:

Seems to be more realistic and again. Only problem with it is the limitation of the size of memory. The MS slot will ony accept memory cards with up to 32 Gig I think. With Pvp's idea it can have unlimited memory. For me 32 gig would be enogh so I might try hooking a proper hard drive instead of a 4gig one.

PvP has released some info about the project but I can't make heads nor tails of it. Probably make sense to me after my exams, too much chemstry on the mind :([/url]

MrTroy
360 GamerTag:Kizler

Post by MrTroy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:59 pm

Something that confuses me is.... I know this is prolly slow and bulky compaired to what has already been done. But... Is this possible or am I nuts.

Is it possible(or what this guy is trying to do) to build a miniPC that's only function is to send data to the PSP via the USB port, like what the PS3 does(can't you download demos for the PSP? I'm not sure). The data that it sends is saved to the memory stick and accessed like a downloaded application.

Even if that isn't the case. Couldn't that be done to send saved movies from a drive connected to a controller acting as a PC to the PSP via the USB? I mean if you can get a PC that small.

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Its either an iPod with ipodlinux and a working USBhostfs that he wrote himself, or any small HDD with what Mr troy is getting at, I forget what he called it in the thread.

DK

Post by DK » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Pvp's mod uses USB OTG technology, wich basically acts as the host between the 2 slaves, much like a computer would. So Mr Troy, your mates idea would work, but its a bit overkill.

vskid

Post by vskid » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm

DK wrote:
vskid wrote:

Seems to be more realistic
I know, I even posted in that thread. :P Its more than just wiring the CF slot straight to the MS slot, though, which was what I was saying is unrealistic. It seems that the Datel adapter can only handle up to 8GB, though. :(

ZN13

Post by ZN13 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:34 pm

And it's over 200 dollars...

But, If you can convert MS to SD, And SD to CF; then can't you just (in theory) convert CF to MS?

vskid

Post by vskid » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:14 pm

ZN13 wrote:But, If you can convert MS to SD, And SD to CF; then can't you just (in theory) convert CF to MS?
Yes, but you need a chip to convert it, its not as simple as swapping some pins' wiring. IDE and CF are that way, just rearrange the pins (and different sizes). Stuff like SD and MS though, while they both have pins named the same, are not directly compatible, the signal types are different.

ZN13

Post by ZN13 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:25 pm

So can you get a chip that goes from MS to CF or do you have to buy the $200 Datel HD?

vskid

Post by vskid » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:37 pm

ZN13 wrote:So can you get a chip that goes from MS to CF or do you have to buy the $200 Datel HD?
Theres a Datel HD on ebay for $50 buy it now... According to this thread, it only works for up to 8GB cards.