Can't get the pandora memory stick to work.

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

crector
Can't get the pandora memory stick to work.

Post by crector » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Hello all, I was given a PSP that appears to be bricked. I only get the green power light with an un-modified battery. I did modify a fat battery with the soldered jumper and when installed I get the green power light and the memory stick and wifi lights too. All three lights are solid and do not flicker. I have made the pandora memory stick no less than twenty times and I never even get a flicker on the MS light.
Can anyone tell me how to make a bootable memory stick? I don't even care if it works to load the firmware at this point; I just want to make sure the PSP is reading the memory stick. I just want to see the light flicker, if I can do that, I will move to the next step. I have used the total noobe memory stick program thing and that seems to go ok in the PC, but, doesn't do a think for the PSP.

Also, I would like to know if I have the necessary equipment to unbrick a PSP.
I have a PC with XP and a card reader/writer.
I have 1ea. appears to be bricked PSP
I have a 1gb memory stick
I have 1ea fat battery with the pandora jumper soldered in.

I am a noobie so, please forgive if this sounds lame. From my vantage point; it sucks and is frustrating.

Thank you all in advance,
Cameron

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:35 pm

Without a homebrew compatible PSP, the memory stick cannot be easily made since you have to have one to create the msipl.bin file.

crector

Bin file

Post by crector » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:04 pm

So if I understand correctly; the msipl.bin file is what boots up the PSP? I will do an internet serch and see if I can find it. I just be happy to see the mem card light blink like it was trying to read it.

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Yeah, msipl.bin is a file that's created on a homebrew compatible PSP that is then written to a certain sector of a memory stick (using msinst.exe) that's been formatted with mspformat.exe. msinst.exe and mspformat.exe are ran from a PC with the PSP connected via USB. The msipl.bin file cannot be created on a PC, and is illegal to distribute. That isn't to say that you can't find a download of it, but I don't think anyone here will be pointing you to a place to download it.

crector

Memory Stick

Post by crector » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 am

I don't understand why Sony just doesn't give you the bin file so you can fix their broken machine but, I guess that is for a different forum.

Anyway, when I try to perform the mspformat it says "pseudo format is not necessary" Is this true, is it not necessary? or is Bill Gates trying to help me in some strange way?

Second. assuming I can find the bin file: How can I be sure the file got loaded in the correct memory address? Can I verify the file location some how?

Thank you,
Cameron

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:18 am

If mspformat.exe is saying that the pseudo format is unnecessary, then the memory stick is ready to have the file installed. However, you don't just copy it to the memory stick and hope that it winds up in the right place. That's what msinst.exe is for. It takes the msipl.bin file and writes it to the correct sector of the memory stick.

I sent you a PM.