So I am FINALLY getting some money for a R4DS... but...

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 pm

Sorry to dredge up this thread, but I've been searching for something like the R4 for my DS. I found the R4 and the CycloDS to be the two best, according to reviews, etc. The only difference between the two I really saw was that the CycloDS was more compatible with a wider range of homebrew and...stuff. So why is the R4 so much more popular? Anything I missed? Thanks for any help!

- Juice 8)

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 pm

r4ds and m3 simply are the same thing and from what i read the m3 real is also very good

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:11 pm

johnbjuice wrote:Sorry to dredge up this thread, but I've been searching for something like the R4 for my DS. I found the R4 and the CycloDS to be the two best, according to reviews, etc. The only difference between the two I really saw was that the CycloDS was more compatible with a wider range of homebrew and...stuff. So why is the R4 so much more popular? Anything I missed? Thanks for any help!

- Juice 8)
Best I can tell is because the R4 is dirt cheap compared to cycloDS and the DSextreme. I really wanted a DSextreme card when I bought my R4, but I wasn't too keen on spending the cash since the DSextreme is kind of pricey. I wound up buying the R4 on the recommendation of several people on this forum, and I haven't looked back. Like I said in my previous post, the R4 is the only card that I've ever had for the DS, so I can't compare its functionality to other cards out there but I HIGHLY recommend it. It's worked with every homebrew app that I've ran on it, as well as my own code that I've written.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 pm

My R4 is a piece of crap. Ever since I got it the Ds would never recognise it as a game and would just go to the DS bios. I tried cleaning it with alcohol and cotton but that would just give it 30 minutes of life so I just gave up because carrying rubbing alcohol with me everywhere would be a pain and started just licking the pins so the corner ones have deteriorated to hell and the thing is nearly junked. I know it's not just my ds since every real cartridge I've used works perfectly. My main female of the dog species is that it wasn't cheap either, 60 friggin euros with a 1 gig microsd card. I probably just got a piece of expensive crap for buying it in Spain, my friend got one and it works perfectly. Next time I go to America I'll just order one off deal extreme unless someone here would be willing to ship a decent R4 sans microsd card for a reasonable price. Anyone? PM me if you're willing.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

myersn024

Post by myersn024 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:11 pm

I bought mine online from divineo.com. You might try getting one from them. On the other hand, I understand being gun-shy after buying one that never worked correctly. I think that you're in the unfortunate minority that got a bunk card.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:22 am

I have bought a few bits from Divineo.com in the past, they are fine. Send the item back for replacement if you have had it under 12 months.

dudex77 - your posts in recent months (and avatar for that matter) have indicated you seem hacked off these days, you used to be amusing and more fun - why the change of mood - depressed??

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:25 am

bacteria wrote: dudex77 - your posts in recent months (and avatar for that matter) have indicated you seem hacked off these days, you used to be amusing and more fun - why the change of mood - depressed??
My avatar is a meme and has nothing to do with it really. I'm not any more depressed than usual but I'm only really amused if their are sweet projects going on. I know that sounds hypocritical since I have done nothing I see worth posting about project-wise but yeah. When I get something that doesnt work after paying more than double price I get pissed.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:05 pm

well, I bought an R4 off deal extreme. It's on its way! :D

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:40 pm

Acekard RPG beats all of the flashcarts currently out. Why? Dual memory storage, built in flash memory and Micro SDHC. R4 doesn't support SDHC. And all the stuff R4 has and more and last but not least, the big reason it is the best, only flashcart on the market to be OPEN SOURCE.