DS Question.

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Valium
DS Question.

Post by Valium » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:22 pm

How good is the SNES emulator for the DS?

I'm getting myself a DS in about a week or so, and my R4 is in the mail. I own a PSP and every SNES game I play runs perfectly except for the one game I care the most about. Final Fantasy 3 (6). I can get it running full speed on the PSP, but without sound. With sound, it goes full speed in the overworld but fights are just too slow. So I said, "okay, I'll try the GBA version" and I get it all ready, turn on the game, and what do I get? Overlapping maps and transparent sprites, then the game freezes once you get to a part where you can move around. I had one last trick left, the Playstation remake. I get that version ready, and start playing. I had what looked like a success, everything ran smooth, sound working, no game errors. So I get through the game until the first time you can save, I save the game, and turn off my PSP. A day or two later I feel like playing again, so I load up the game. And guess what? It couldn't find my save file. I started a new game, blah blah blah, saved, and restarted. Same problem.

So what I want to know is, will Final Fantasy 3 run well on the DS?

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Does FF6 use a special chip? If it does it won't work. If you have trouble working it on the PSP just use frameskip thats the only way snemulds works at 100% speed.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:35 pm

dudex77 wrote:Does FF6 use a special chip? If it does it won't work. If you have trouble working it on the PSP just use frameskip thats the only way snemulds works at 100% speed.
I've tried all possible settings on the PSP. And I don't know if it uses a special chip or not.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:50 pm

I haven't tried it but there is a mod to make your DS 1.7 times faster, relevant for emulators on the DS.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:53 pm

Just use frame skip it'll seem a bit choppy but it's better than playing the game at half the speed as if you were using a PAL SNES. Also with the problem with using the PS1 version it's probably just you much=king something up somehow check your stuff and make sure you have everything in order.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:11 pm

dudex77 wrote:Just use frame skip it'll seem a bit choppy but it's better than playing the game at half the speed as if you were using a PAL SNES. Also with the problem with using the PS1 version it's probably just you much=king something up somehow check your stuff and make sure you have everything in order.
I told you I tried all possible settings, frameskip doesn't increase the fight speed. All it does is make it look choppy. And I have 5 other PS1 games on the PSP and none of them have problems with the saves, I've done the same thing for each of them.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:30 pm

Valium wrote:I told you I tried all possible settings, frameskip doesn't increase the fight speed. All it does is make it look choppy. And I have 5 other PS1 games on the PSP and none of them have problems with the saves, I've done the same thing for each of them.
Give up? I think the man got you beat this time and you'll actually just have to buy th gba cart.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:44 pm

dudex77 wrote:
Valium wrote:I told you I tried all possible settings, frameskip doesn't increase the fight speed. All it does is make it look choppy. And I have 5 other PS1 games on the PSP and none of them have problems with the saves, I've done the same thing for each of them.
Give up? I think the man got you beat this time and you'll actually just have to buy th gba cart.
I guess.

Could help me if someone could check it with a DS and tell me first hand how it plays.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Valium wrote:Could help me if someone could check it with a DS and tell me first hand how it plays.
If you can wait I'll check it out tomorrow.

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:09 pm

dudex77 wrote:
Valium wrote:Could help me if someone could check it with a DS and tell me first hand how it plays.
If you can wait I'll check it out tomorrow.
That'd be great, thanks!

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:36 pm

I could never get the game to work on my DS.
Meh, I don't post much.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:34 pm

Nope, didn't work

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:42 pm

I can`t wait till they add support for games like Mario RPG (The only rpg that I have never got bored of) I`m lucky enough to have the actual cartridge of SMRPG, I wish there was a hard mode though, just too easy except for the very end.

Valium

Post by Valium » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:07 pm

Jongamer wrote:I can`t wait till they add support for games like Mario RPG (The only rpg that I have never got bored of) I`m lucky enough to have the actual cartridge of SMRPG, I wish there was a hard mode though, just too easy except for the very end.
I have a copy myself, and I agree, the game is way too easy.

And thats too bad about FF6.. I was really hoping it would work.