PSP Analog nub problem

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

jedi knight
PSP Analog nub problem

Post by jedi knight » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:18 am

Well here's the story. I opened up my PSP to get some dust off of the screen. I reassembled it, went to play a game, and my analog stick started acting up. It acts like it is always in the "down" position. If you don't know what I'm talking about, try holding an analog stick in any position on any console. It thinks that that is it's neutral position. So I opened it back up, and I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Anyone know how in the world I can fix this?
Meh, I don't post much.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:36 am

This may well not be correct, but if the joystick is anything like the N64's, then if the stick is in a slight angle (eg downwards) then when the system boots up it takes that position as being neutral. It might be that the joystick is at a slight angle when you turn it on (worth checking)??

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:46 am

bacteria wrote:This may well not be correct, but if the joystick is anything like the N64's, then if the stick is in a slight angle (eg downwards) then when the system boots up it takes that position as being neutral. It might be that the joystick is at a slight angle when you turn it on (worth checking)??
Yeah that was my first thought, but it seems to be in a neutral position. I then tried booting the system without the nub and it still moves downwards. Then, I tried holding up on the nub and it still moves down.
Meh, I don't post much.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:10 am

Try cleaning the contacts on the board and nub itself. I've heard that that is the most likely cause of the problem. What were you testing this in? Some programs like Daedalus allow you to set dead zones if the nub isn't being neutral when it should. Daedalus also shows you where it sees the analog, if its only off by a bit, its probably just the standard deviation.

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:15 am

vskid wrote:Try cleaning the contacts on the board and nub itself. I've heard that that is the most likely cause of the problem. What were you testing this in? Some programs like Daedalus allow you to set dead zones if the nub isn't being neutral when it should. Daedalus also shows you where it sees the analog, if its only off by a bit, its probably just the standard deviation.
Okay, I'll try cleaning it. I tried testing it in Daedalus and the web browser, both of which were unusable.
edit:Cleaning the contacts did nothing....I have no idea what to do now other than order a new nub.

edit: I fixed it. I loosened the screws holding the nub to the faceplate, which made it work. This thread can be locked now.
Meh, I don't post much.