Just Got a GP2X

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011
Just Got a GP2X

Post by Twisted Warthog » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:51 am

I just bought a GP2X and i got it today. Can you guys suggest some good Emulators and ROMS.

I know how to work the thing i just don't know what ROMS and emulators i should put on it. Thaaaanks! :D

edit by admin: Remember to keep it legal, people! No linking to ROM sites. -bic

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm

NES - there's a port of FCE ultra for GP2X, it's called gpfce or something (can't check because I'm at school now, and GP32X.com is blocked.)

SNES - SquidgeSNES and DrPocketSNES combined can do just about anything.

Genesis - Pictodrive is the best Genesis emu

GBA - gpSP2X can run just about anything at about 1-2 frameskip fullspeed.

I'll edit this post when I get home, and list some good homebrew for the 2X.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:59 pm

Ok, thanks for the tips man.

I didn't mean to make it sound like i was pirating stuff bic. Geez i mean the GP2X was made solely to play ROMS, movies, and music illegally.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:23 pm

There is no legitimate reason to worry about ROMS for such old systems. The point of buying games legit is that the author and publishers, etc, get a chunk of the profit; the likes of the Megadrive, NES, SNES, etc have long since finished selling in shops, in fact you can barely buy any games for these systems in shops anymore; you need to buy from boot sales or e-bay; so the publishers and authors don't get any profits that way anyway. It is different with the GBA, for the moment, give it a couple of years more and shops will stop selling these too (certainly no new releases have been out for a while now). With this in mind, yes, get some emulators and ROMS for old systems. The only thing you must not do is sell ROMS (or you will get into litigation problems) - that is piracy.

The GP2x is a good system. Wolfenstein 3D is great fun via its own emulator. I love Pictodrive (Megadrive) and a few others too.

Fat D

Post by Fat D » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 pm

bacteria wrote:There is no legitimate reason to worry about ROMS for such old systems. The point of buying games legit is that the author and publishers, etc, get a chunk of the profit; the likes of the Megadrive, NES, SNES, etc have long since finished selling in shops, in fact you can barely buy any games for these systems in shops anymore; you need to buy from boot sales or e-bay; so the publishers and authors don't get any profits that way anyway. It is different with the GBA, for the moment, give it a couple of years more and shops will stop selling these too (certainly no new releases have been out for a while now). With this in mind, yes, get some emulators and ROMS for old systems. The only thing you must not do is sell ROMS (or you will get into litigation problems) - that is piracy.

The GP2x is a good system. Wolfenstein 3D is great fun via its own emulator. I love Pictodrive (Megadrive) and a few others too.
no logical reasons. legal ones still exist in most countries. and legitimate might imply both.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:51 pm

I agree with bacteria. I purchase SNES games from used game shops often, and I don't see how that is any different than using a ROM.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:37 am

Indeed. Scenarios:

i) buy a new game, released, current system - money goes to software house, publishers, distributors, shop.

ii) buy a second hand game (current release) from a shop, software house, publishers and distributors get nothing, shop gets roughly a third to a half full product profit

iii) buy a second hand game (console no longer supported, eg SNES, etc) from a shop, software house, publishers and distributors get nothing, shop gets a couple of bucks profit

iv) buy game from e-bay or from a mate - no-one makes a profit (although seller gets a proportion of monies paid back), ad infinitum whilst people want it.

v) download ROM, no-one makes profit, period

In the first scenario, there is every reason to buy the game as it enables more titles to be released in the future, and is above board. If game shops and distributors didn't put so much profit on a game (it's about 40% in the UK), more games would sell, so the second part of above would be less relevant.

Parts 3,4 and 5 above are all in the same category. For example, GameStation in the UK sells some old N64 and Megadrive games, unboxed, about £3.50 each ($7), they don't care about them, they are all thrown in a box, labels tatty. Often cheaper to buy from e-bay and quality is better.

The one thing which is entirely wrong in regards to out-of-date ROMS is not downloading them (no-one makes profit from defunct systems anyway, so what's the problem) but those people who try to subsequently sell them on e-bay. I often report them to e-bay to get them into trouble - this is piracy.

It is the same as films - I use a rental service to get DVD films, watch and post them back. How often do you watch a film twice after all? (most are rubbish or done better before). Downloading a ROM is similar - if you are into console modding, as we are, it gives the chance to try it, then if you like it, buy the original. No-one will sue you for having a ROM of a NES game, or whatever unless 1) you are trying to sell it or profit from it, or 2)
it becomes public interest; as the company concerned have no financial loss to recoup.

arfink

Post by arfink » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:39 pm

Here is my take-
Could they sue your pants off for playing roms? Yes.
Will they? No.
Why? Because you are one user out of a million who doesn't pay for his games. Think about it, most people who play SNES games on the Wii have never heard of an emulator and happily pay for their games again.

One Exception: SONY. Don't cross these S.O.B's, they will stoop to anything. They would sue your dog for lifting his leg on a PS3, and they would sue you too.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:07 am

Everyone in the developed world breaches technical copyright - anyone who:

* Lends a book or magazine to a friend
* Copies their music to another format (eg car player) without buying the music again (!)
* Keeps a recorded television program archived for more than 28 days (UK)
* Makes a backup of games or films for personal use only or to preserve the original from damage
* Quotes phrases from a book, magazine, tv program or any other media (person who said the words technically owns the copyright to those phrases (!))
* Sings "Happy Birthday" or anything else without paying royalties on each occasion to do so
* Sings or hums a tune not own composition
* Draws images based on something they have seen or heard about

The list goes on and on.

Yes, technically, the owners of a ROM could sue you but would not do so as they cannot prove any financial loss or breach; unless you decide to sell the ROM to someone else and thereby enact a profit from doing so, or assist in its distribution (hence ROM sites tend to get legal papers served to close). Joe Public are fine. Don't be paranoid!

In regards to the comments you made about SNES on the Wii; many people don't understand about emulation or know how to use it. The development of the SNES games have been paid for many times years ago, there is no further development costs or any distribution costs, so the charge for downloading those ROMS for the Wii is extortion, unless you pay a nominal amount for them (50p ?) each. Extortion and blatent profiteering is illegal too.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:18 pm

I know that with my psp I buy the umd and give it to a friend since I'd have the ISO (well umd disc) for it. Just to be a good friend.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:19 am

cowsgoquack101 - that is classed as piracy, as it could be regarded that your friend might have bought it if you didn't give him a copy; also you making a copy of it is also illegal, as you have "copied it from one format to another". I'm no angel, no-one is, it just means you "need to keep it to yourself".

Personally I think in most cases these companies extort their customers. There is no issue with paying for items, but to try to make customers pay for the same thing over and over again is a rip-off. Technically, if you buy a music CD for example, it is only for use in one player (yes I know!), so if you want to play it on your computer, car, player in the kitchen and bedroom, you are supposed to buy 4 copies of it (!); if not you are technically a "pirate" - yeah, right! This is extortion, it is for your own use. Oh yes, if someone else happens to hear your music/film (including your family) then you need to technically buy a copy of the music/film disk FOR EACH PERSON; or get a broadcast licence and pay per viewer/listener! This is why everyone in the developed world breaches copyright (so who cares!). These companies technically make everyone in the developed world a potential criminal!.

Back to topic, this has rather deviated after all; if you want to see all the games and emulators for the GP2x, look no further than the main forum: http://www.gp32x.com/board/ (look in the GP2x section not the GP32).

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:21 am

arfink wrote:Here is my take-
Could they sue your pants off for playing roms? Yes.
Will they? No.
Why? Because you are one user out of a million who doesn't pay for his games. Think about it, most people who play SNES games on the Wii have never heard of an emulator and happily pay for their games again.
At my friend's school all the kids have laptops that they use in class so he tried to show them how to emulate n64 and play online but even though they now know about emulation they can't even be bothered to figure it out. Most people find emulation to complicated to bother with believe it or not. I tried to explain to another friend how he could emulate n64 games on his computer and as soon as I told him to get winrar he gave up and said that it was all to difficult. The same thing happened with my cousin who was a total SF2 junkie as a kid and I showed him emulation and he thought it was some "real underground hacker thing" I think with all this legal emulation thing Nintendo is actually going to get more people to start doing it illegally though since they'll here about emulation and then google it and bam they find out they can do it for free on their computers. But nintendo won't care because they're already making a lot of money off of those who don't bother to look into it.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:39 am

...yet I bet all the kids you refer to can work their way around the "latest" mobile phone junk features though...

I got into emulation a few years back when PC Format (or was it PC Review?) magazines did articles on UltraHUE (N64 emulator) and on Dave's video game website (MAME games). I then looked into it...

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:07 am

bacteria wrote:...yet I bet all the kids you refer to can work their way around the "latest" mobile phone junk features though...

I got into emulation a few years back when PC Format (or was it PC Review?) magazines did articles on UltraHUE (N64 emulator) and on Dave's video game website (MAME games). I then looked into it...
I first started emulatin with mame when I was like 9 without realising it was emulation (friend actually payed for one of the discs then burnt me a copy). then when I was like 11 me and a friend really wanted to buy a snes so we started looking into it and zsnes was one of the results in google, well one thing led to another and....
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:34 pm

UltraHLE was pretty aweosme, now its PJ64 and nineteen64 that are the best