Ultimate GBO build

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

DK
Ultimate GBO build

Post by DK » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:50 am

Thought the Handheld forum needed a new project, so I'm going to start the "Ultimate GBO". Things it's going to have

1. Backlighting. Can be done and I'm going to help prove it, unless Bibin does it first

2. Stereo Mod. Notice how it says "Dot matrix with STEREO SOUND" on the front of the gameboy even though it only has one speaker :roll: I'm going to rewire the normal speaker and add a 2nd speaker to the headphone port so it outputs stereo music on games such as Pokemon

3. Overclock. Yet again for Pokemon, slow walking is so dull (bike helps a bit but we can go quicker)

And a maybe
4. Led mod. Got a seethrough gameboy so I might add some LEDs into the case so it looks pretty. Don't want to hurt it tho :cry:

Got half term to do it so expect results soon 8)

DK

Post by DK » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Ok, not much done today because it was bl**dy difficult to open without a triwing screwdriver. Except for opening it all I've done is shape and fit the 2nd speaker, just need to reposition the headphone pcb so I can close the case.

It's a snug fit :lol:

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:26 pm

I'm really interested in how this project turns out 8)
Meh, I don't post much.

DK

Post by DK » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:49 pm

Just tried to close it and darn, the headphone circuitry is in the way. Looks like I have a rewiring job to do tomorrow.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:56 pm

Alright, come on, people SAY they like their LED mods, but poeple, deep down, hate them. Don't ruin the DMG. As for my backlighting, it SHOULD be possible on this. But DON'T YOU DARE use LED's to front light it.

DK

Post by DK » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:08 pm

Bibin wrote:Alright, come on, people SAY they like their LED mods, but poeple, deep down, hate them. Don't ruin the DMG. As for my backlighting, it SHOULD be possible on this. But DON'T YOU DARE use LED's to front light it.
I know not to front light it with LEDs. I had the idea to use EL film ages ago, even before you joined us :wink:

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=14842

And need I say more

That's not mine, jut an example of what it could look like.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:21 pm

I hate these BIG switches coming out of there, they just look out of place, uncomfortable, and easy to break off accidentaly

get that kind.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:41 pm

DK wrote:Ok, not much done today because it was bl**dy difficult to open without a triwing screwdriver.
Whoa, I have a GBO and it had regular Philips head screws. I know it did because I opened it up to see what it look like inside.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

khaag

Post by khaag » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:15 am

nightwheel wrote:
DK wrote:Ok, not much done today because it was bl**dy difficult to open without a triwing screwdriver.
Whoa, I have a GBO and it had regular Philips head screws. I know it did because I opened it up to see what it look like inside.
Well whoop-di-freaking-do. And since when is "bloody" a swear word?
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

nc

Post by nc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:55 am

khaag wrote:
nightwheel wrote:
Well whoop-di-freaking-do. And since when is "bloody" a swear word?
Calm down. He pointed something out relevant to the topic and you make a sad sarcastic comment. And he starred "Bloody" because he respects the fact that there is some very young people on the forum and he is polite , something I can't say for you after that post.

Back on topic: Sounds as if it's gonna be cool. Go for Blue LED's i'd say , blue always looks cool.

DK

Post by DK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:13 am

Yer blue is cool 8)

khaag

Post by khaag » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:36 am

nc wrote:
khaag wrote:
nightwheel wrote:
Well, whoop-di-freaking-do. And since when is "bloody" a swear word?
Calm down. He pointed something out relevant to the topic and you make a sad sarcastic comment. And he starred "Bloody" because he respects the fact that there is some very young people on the forum and he is polite , something I can't say for you after that post.

Back on topic: Sounds as if it's gonna be cool. Go for Blue LED's i'd say , blue always looks cool.
Well, whoop-di-freaking-do.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

DK

Post by DK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:34 pm

Lets ignore Mr Kraanky Pants and get back to the subject. Need to somehow make more space in the stupid console. You'd think in a case sooo big there would be some spare space. :lol:

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:58 pm

Hmm, the first thing that comes to my mind would be a thin (maybe 1/16" thick, 1/4" wide) aluminum strip around the middle of the case, between the two halves. I know the thing is already thick, but would that work at all? Or do you need more space side-to-side, not front-to-back?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

DK

Post by DK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:05 pm

Life of Brian wrote:Hmm, the first thing that comes to my mind would be a thin (maybe 1/16" thick, 1/4" wide) aluminum strip around the middle of the case, between the two halves. I know the thing is already thick, but would that work at all? Or do you need more space side-to-side, not front-to-back?
Just need space to put the switches at the sides, the batteries are in the way :x