Should I do it, sell my DS lite for a GP2X or PSP?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Fat D

Post by Fat D » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:24 am

ShockSlayer wrote:If anyone wants my opinions: (These is copied, it might have some other info in it)

Stock(Fresh Store Bought) DS > Stock PSP
Stock DS has better game selection. PSP has some good ones, so dont rule all games out.

Homebrew DS <Homebrew> GP2X
Both are great for homebrew, but the psp surpasses in speed, price, availability. (You can add a good joystick if you hire a professional modder) If you have the cash go for the psp.
Now the question is: if you add homebrew and official games, who will win?
I guess it will be a matter of personal preference.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:12 am

My opinions in a nutshell:

Stock consoles:
DS > GP2X = PSP

DS obviously has the retail game advantage.
GP2X and PSP tie. GP2X may do more out of the box, but the PSP makes up for it with retail titles and Wi-Fi.

Homebrew modified consoles:
PSP > DS > GP2X

The PSP takes the cake because it's the most powerful of the three (it will emulate almost anything N64/PSX era on down at least near-full speed) and still has WiFi. (I know I'm bringing that up a lot, but it's useful.)
DS is weaker and its screens are smaller, but it still has its retail library.
GP2X fails because it has no 3D acceleration, no wireless connectivity, and costs more than its competitors.

SD = CompactFlash
SD is small, but CF is relatively cheap and pin-compatible with IDE.

Dell Axim X30 Mid = iPod
Sure the PDA does more, but the iPod can dedicate all of its storage space to music, while the 2 gig SD card in my PDA has to hold programs, notes, files, downloads, and browser cache.

<offtopic> I'm sorry but I don't buy the "Wii60" tale. Why do you need a "second system"? Are we that spoiled now, that we need two consoles? :P Calling it the "second system" is kind of grasping at straws, don't you think? </offtopic>

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:56 am

bicostp wrote:<offtopic> I'm sorry but I don't buy the "Wii60" tale. Why do you need a "second system"? Are we that spoiled now, that we need two consoles? :P Calling it the "second system" is kind of grasping at straws, don't you think? </offtopic>
Hey, I've got the Wii60! :lol: I actually think it's an excellent blend, actually; I bought the Wii on launch day with money I got from a garage sale, and got the 360 for Christmas later that year.

Anyways, I'd have to disagree with you on the homebrew, bic. Having owned both, I can say without a doubt that GP2x edges out the DS. More unique games, at this point, better emulation, easier to navigate/set up homebrew, and not to mention ridiculously full-featured if you get the docking bay. Oh, and no supercard/flashing junk, either. Sure, the DS has a lot of potential and will probably outdo the GP2x later on down the road, but right now, that's just not happening.

CTFan

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:46 am

Game wise, the DS is better.
Homebrew wise, the PSP is best.
Media player wise, again, goes to the PSP.

Once the PSP can emulate N64 games fully, there won't even be a contest anymore.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Now if only the psp would emulate ds, then it would pwn!
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valium

Post by Valium » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:37 pm

It probably could, you know, if it had a touch screen.

benol

Post by benol » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:50 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:Now if only the psp would emulate ds, then it would pwn!
It can. A full emulator hasn't been developed yet though.
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:33 pm

i love my gp2x, have had it literaly since day one (preordered, have one of a few thouand first edition systems and so forth) have used it to death and there are some truely great games and apps for it but dollar for dollar its losing its edge, it was a great deal when it came out (more than 50$ less than psp and easy homebrew etc) but now it cost MORE than the PSP and can do less (not a whole lot less mind you, and it does some things better) i can say 1000% that i definatly got my moneys worth out of it and didnt regret buying one for a second but im not so sure i would reccomend them to others as readily as i once did, there are cheaper options out that are nearly as good (or better in some ways) personally i would LOVE to get a dslite! i still hate sony tho :lol:

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:13 pm

I changed my mind.

Switch to a GP2x or PSP, I don't care. Just sell me your DS Lite! (PM me about it if you're interested)

- Juice 8)