Should I do it, sell my DS lite for a GP2X or PSP?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Have any of you even seen videos of DX 10 games. Look way better then anything box could do.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:29 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:Have any of you even seen videos of DX 10 games. Look way better then anything box could do.
:roll: Whatever. Let's see $300 worth of computer play games better than a $300 console. (No big fancy graphics card, no nothing. The entire tower should cost the same as a console.)

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:28 pm

I'd save up for the PSP. I have all three, I play the DS a little, I play the PSP a lot, I left the GP2X at home (I'm in college).

The PSP is great, the past few days its been getting a lot of usage reading comic books, which reminds me, I must finish reading Death of Superman.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:01 pm

Is the movie "death of superman" any good I saw it at Target?

benol

Post by benol » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:Is the movie "death of superman" any good I saw it at Target?
:roll: What does this have to do with DS's, PSP's, or GP2X's?
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:11 am

benol wrote:
Dr. KillGood wrote:Is the movie "death of superman" any good I saw it at Target?
:roll: What does this have to do with DS's, PSP's, or GP2X's?
Dunno, what does compaining about it have to do with DS's, PSP's, or GP2X's? You're not a moderator, so GTFO

Is that the new Doomsday movie? I've been wanting to see it, its done by whoever did Justice League and/or the '90s TAS, so it should be pretty good.
I was talking about comic books, though, the mini-series "Death of Superman" is very good.

Anyways, again, I'll recommend the PSP over everything, but you should still keep the DS, as they both have very noteworthy aspects.

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:06 am

Death of Superman got me started on collecting comics. Pretty much got out of them now tho....never thought of reading them on the psp....interesting....

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 am

Will the new GP2X have wifi? Keep your DS and buy an r4. the DS has the best official games and aslong as you have no moral issues with piracy they're all free! Homebrew on the DS is quite crap but it soesn't mattter. It can emulate nes and snes probly others that I don't know about aswell. Don't buy a GP2X unless your going to get a linux breakout box since the PSP can do all tte same things and more anyway.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

Bass Creator

Post by Bass Creator » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:45 pm

Dude i had a psp for 3 years after 6 months it gained lots of dust then i sold to get a ds and a r4 (Yeah for R4's)
Reddit

Tarythiel

Post by Tarythiel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:25 pm

bicostp wrote:
Dr. KillGood wrote:Have any of you even seen videos of DX 10 games. Look way better then anything box could do.
:roll: Whatever. Let's see $300 worth of computer play games better than a $300 console. (No big fancy graphics card, no nothing. The entire tower should cost the same as a console.)
lawlz, ok you got that right... computers for 300 bucks beating a console are hard, but not to get on a debat over it (crosses fingers but knows its prolly futile) xbox is a mass manufactured item meaning the sell it for less then its worth... yea thats right less they make their money off games. Computers that have DX10 support and beat a 360s specs are makeable at the 600 dollar range... so two xbox 360s but you get upgradablility and more customization and a load of other things that an xbox 360 has issues doing. THE MAIN REASON THE COMPUTER game industry is not doing the greatest is because everyone buys the consoles cause they are easier to get for cheap (no not everyone can make their own computer... or at least think they can't, in reality it isn't hard) and its easy to use, and has a set hardware (every xbox 360 is the same as another of the same type less you mod it...) therefore its easier to make a games for cause everyone has the same specs so they KNOW you can run this but maybe not this...

the cost to make a 360 and a computer of the same par would be near the same thing i would suspect, if you were to try and make your own 360 from scratch...

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:11 am

Don't get rid of your DS!

Phantom hourglass is AMAZING! Oodles of fun!

(If you do want to sell your lite, I'll buy it...I have a chunky DS...)

- Juice 8)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:50 pm

Tarythiel wrote:xbox is a mass manufactured item meaning the sell it for less then its worth... yea thats right less they make their money off games.
Aren't computers also mass manufactured items, so they're also sold for less than they're worth? Microsoft makes about $75 per 360 as of November 2006. (This has definitely fluctuated since then, but they aren't out to lose money.) Companies aren't out to lose money. It's simple economics!
Computers that have DX10 support and beat a 360s specs are makeable at the 600 dollar range... so two xbox 360s but you get upgradablility and more customization and a load of other things that an xbox 360 has issues doing.
$600 could buy a freaking PS3, which can go toe to toe with a computer that costs much more than that. Included with the computer's price you also get the headache of dealing with drivers, installation, and trying to tell whether or not the game will run on your hardware. And how much of the computer's resources are wasted on running the operating system? "More customization" do you mean case mods, or modifications that actually affect system performance?

As for cost, I have a couple PC gamer friends who have dumped at least $300 worth of upgrades apiece into their computers annually. PC gaming is a black hole for money. (Granted they buy for the short term, and only make small jumps instead of buying for the future, but they're still throwing money at their computers.)
THE MAIN REASON THE COMPUTER game industry is not doing the greatest is because everyone buys the consoles cause they are easier to get for cheap (no not everyone can make their own computer... or at least think they can't, in reality it isn't hard) and its easy to use, and has a set hardware (every xbox 360 is the same as another of the same type less you mod it...) therefore its easier to make a games for cause everyone has the same specs so they KNOW you can run this but maybe not this...
Exactly. Why deal with all the hardware BS when you can pick up a game and you'll KNOW it will work?
the cost to make a 360 and a computer of the same par would be near the same thing i would suspect, if you were to try and make your own 360 from scratch...
Uh-huh. :roll: Price it out, then we'll talk.

Sources:
http://www.techspot.com/news/23612-micr ... dware.html

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:28 pm

To be blunt I see keeping the psp a much better choice

I know this may seem ignorant, but the mem sticks are not bad so long as you keep them in the psp, they do have a shorter life than the sd cards, but they really only have one problem in my opinion, price, they are more expensive than their sd variants, however, to me flash memory is flash memory, it either works, or it simply doesn't

The UMDs are what I see as the systems greatest weakness, you can, however, rip the umds to your mem stick, this helps boost the reliability and kills the crappy load times

~Krepticor
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Fat D

Post by Fat D » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:37 am

it is true. To gain adaption, manufacturers sell the console for less than the manufacturing costs. They get the money only by game licenses. That's why they hate unlicensed developers that much.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:52 pm

If anyone wants my opinions: (These is copied, it might have some other info in it)

Stock(Fresh Store Bought) DS > Stock PSP
Stock DS has better game selection. PSP has some good ones, so dont rule all games out.

Homebrew DS <Homebrew> GP2X
Both are great for homebrew, but the psp surpasses in speed, price, availability. (You can add a good joystick if you hire a professional modder) If you have the cash go for the psp.

Pandora(via software not by chip short) > All other psp 0exploits
You can only mess this up if you dont follow instructions. Completed several times, slim and phat. Software is safer than hardware

Wii60
(Halo 3 + Brawl = Win)

SD > Compact flash
Sd is smaller, so win.

Dell axim X50v > ipoo'd
Plays music and more usefull stuff

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;