TUTORIAL: Make a Pandora's Battery without a homebrew PSP!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

17daysolderthannes
Re: TUTORIAL: Make a Pandora's Battery without a homebrew PSP!

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:20 pm

gamefreakfatty wrote:
17daysolderthannes wrote:wow, you just made an epic fail, that's not a TOOL BATTERY, its a TOOL BATTERY MAKER. You put an official Sony battery onto it, push a button, and it instantly converts it to a pandora battery. Then, after you're done, you can put it back on and switch it back. It takes literally about 1 second to switch back and forth.
If I recall correctly, newer batteries can not be "pandorized" by means of software. In fact, I think some might not even be able to be "pandorized" through the hardware mod either.
17daysolderthannes wrote:As an added bonus, you can use it to make pandora batteries for your friends (stupid friends) and charge them $10 or be an poop egress and charge $20 and instantly make your money back.
I'm happy I don't have friends like you to attempt to rip me off...
17daysolderthannes wrote:The difference is that you can make a pandora battery out of any old official battery and leave your switcher safe and sound at home where i can't get lost.
See first response in my post.
17daysolderthannes wrote:Datel also sells a typical pandora battery, but what dumbass would pay $5 more for that useless crap?
The same one who would pay $20 for a unit to convert batteries to Pandoras and back instead of paying less than $7 shipped for an extra already-converted battery. If you wanted to use it for a normal battery as well, but didn't want to keep the DC files on it, you could spend a little more than $10 and get this battery.

I'm not trying to get into a fight or start any flame wars. I just want people to know that, unless you're going to rip people off to convert their batteries, you can just get one of those instead.
If you really want to rip people off, just get a battery/memstick combo (2GB or 4GB) and sell them together after you make the MMS. On eBay they go for $40+ I think...

-gamefreakfatty
Kinda hard to say you don't want to start a flame war when you accuse me of ripping people off by making a battery into a pandora for them. First of all, I do not nor ever have made pandoras for anyone but myself, and certainly have not converted any for money, I just stated that as an advantage. Honestly though, I think $10 is more than fair to trade for doing the research and buying the switcher in the first place.

Right, newer batteries can't be pandorized, but newer PSPs can't have custom firmware put on them, so its a moot point. If you have an older PSP, you probably also have an older battery.

I don't know anything about those bargain basement pandoras, but it seems to me that anything that would cost $7 shipped would also be something that would catch on fire in my hands. I'll pay a couple extra bucks for something that won't explode on me, thank you very much. I mean, are they even certified by UL or CE? They probably sell them next to those chinese batteries that ruined the remote for my portable DVD player when they leaked acid all over it after being stored for LESS THAN 2 YEARS IN A SEALED ROOM TEMPERATURE TUB (learned my lesson about trusting way off brand name batteries that come free with hardware).

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:31 pm

You think the Datel converter is UL certified? :lol:

I have had a lot of those $7 shipped batteries, and so far your only real argument against them is "They might blow up". Let me assure you, they are perfectly safe, I have had tons, and the same goes for every single person who has bought one there.

If you want to bash something, buy it and try yourself.

It sure would be a twist of fate if that battery DID explode in your hand. Boy oh boy, would THAT suck. :lol:

Excellent

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 am

palmertech wrote:You think the Datel converter is UL certified? :lol:

I have had a lot of those $7 shipped batteries, and so far your only real argument against them is "They might blow up". Let me assure you, they are perfectly safe, I have had tons, and the same goes for every single person who has bought one there.

It sure would be a twist of fate if that battery DID explode in your hand. Boy oh boy, would THAT suck. :lol:
why would the converter need to be certified? Its the questionable lithium cells I'd be worried about.

Ah forget it, I like the switcher, you prefer the $7 battery, there's no need to go on and on about it. I think just one battery blowing up would totally negate 100 working ones if you have no hand left because of it. Just letting you know, it wouldn't be the first time a knock off lithium battery exploded, ask around some model airplane/helicopter crowds about that (granted those are li-po batteries, but they all can potentially blow up in a fireball if improperly constructed).

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:34 am

17daysolderthannes wrote:

why would the converter need to be certified? Its the questionable lithium cells I'd be worried about.

Ah forget it, I like the switcher, you prefer the $7 battery, there's no need to go on and on about it. I think just one battery blowing up would totally negate 100 working ones if you have no hand left because of it. Just letting you know, it wouldn't be the first time a knock off lithium battery exploded, ask around some model airplane/helicopter crowds about that (granted those are li-po batteries, but they all can potentially blow up in a fireball if improperly constructed).
You hear a lot more stories about 3rd party CHARGERS blowing up batteries than the batteries them selves being at fault. ;) Batteries don't just explode on their own, 99% of the time it is the charger that starts the problem. And I would rather have a cheap battery blown up on its own than an official Sony battery by a faulty charger. ;) I doubt that charger is dangerous, but it is almost certainly more so than a normal pandora battery. Heck, it comes pre-charged; If it charged fine for them, the odds of it suddenly going supernova on you are extraordinarily low.

Also, hate to be mean to them, but like 90% of the RC crowd is retarded when it comes to batteries. The only reason they are always blowing up on them is that they just mash a bunch of packs together like a NIMH pack, have no protection board, and expect it to work. These are the same people that use "Blast bags" to charge their batteries in to be safe. So any battery woes referencing an RC person mean next to nothing, in my opinion. How often do you hear of people here blowing batteries up? :wink:

Excellent

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:27 pm

palmertech wrote:
17daysolderthannes wrote:

You hear a lot more stories about 3rd party CHARGERS blowing up batteries than the batteries them selves being at fault. ;) Batteries don't just explode on their own, 99% of the time it is the charger that starts the problem. And I would rather have a cheap battery blown up on its own than an official Sony battery by a faulty charger. ;) I doubt that charger is dangerous, but it is almost certainly more so than a normal pandora battery. Heck, it comes pre-charged; If it charged fine for them, the odds of it suddenly going supernova on you are extraordinarily low.

Also, hate to be mean to them, but like 90% of the RC crowd is retarded when it comes to batteries. The only reason they are always blowing up on them is that they just mash a bunch of packs together like a NIMH pack, have no protection board, and expect it to work. These are the same people that use "Blast bags" to charge their batteries in to be safe. So any battery woes referencing an RC person mean next to nothing, in my opinion. How often do you hear of people here blowing batteries up? :wink:
they don't blow up during normal use (usually), its when there is some sort of impact, like, if say, I was going to mod my friend's PSP and I dropped the battery on a hard surfaced floor, causing the inferior (non-UL inspected) cell to rupture slightly, then I throw it in the PSP and BOOM! no more right hand (or severly burned if I'm lucky). Even if that's not the case, there has to be SOME downside to a $7 pandora, there is no way that is profitable at $7 shipped. Either the battery life is crap, the longevity is crap (good for a couple charges and then dead), the availability is short lived, or the quality is so poor its dangerous. As for the 3rd party charger, you mean external battery chargers as opposed to 5V wall chargers (that plug into the PSP), right? I have a 3rd party wall charger (plugs into the PSP) and it's UL listed, though I would like to swap it out for a real Sony one,I mean, something about having A/C prongs with no holes always sets off my "sketchy"-o-meter. Then again, UL-listed is UL-listed, and it does have this "jet" logo on it, just like the Sony one, I wonder if thats the manufacturer...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:32 pm

You are right, it does have one of those downsides: Short battery life. A pandora does not need much, it only needs to last long enough to CFW the PSP. That particular battery lasts for about 30 minutes, and that is plenty. :D

Also, because of the smaller cell, the rest of the casing is filled with foam. If anything, far safer than the UL listed PSP battery pack. ;)

Excellent

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 pm

palmertech wrote: Also, because of the smaller cell, the rest of the casing is filled with foam. If anything, far safer than the UL listed PSP battery pack. ;)
Oh, yes, because foam tightly packed with a hot battery is VERY safe!

BoomBox-Creations

Post by BoomBox-Creations » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:51 am

I thought id put in my 2 cents here, the converter is good, but only if you dont have the time to either make one from scratch or cant find your own pandora battery to do the job.

And the cheap $7 ones off the net, they are good value, and like palmertech said, they only need about 15-20 mins battery life AT MOST the process of actually flashing the PSP only takes that ( unless you are showing someone that is holding a cup of tea so big that he/she cant see the PSP... )

And it would be some sort of non-flammabel foam inside the battery, if being filled with foam being the case....

and all slims and lites are all part of 1 wich is "Slim & Lite" which is on the box fo my hacked TA-85 PSP with original 3.60 M33 on it =D

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:49 pm

your still here? awww, damn....
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:56 pm

eurddrue wrote:your still here? awww, damn....
Post of the year.

Also, I got owned by jleemero. :lol:

Excellent

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 pm

BoomBox-Creations wrote:I thought id put in my 2 cents here, the converter is good, but only if you dont have the time to either make one from scratch or cant find your own pandora battery to do the job.

And the cheap $7 ones off the net, they are good value, and like palmertech said, they only need about 15-20 mins battery life AT MOST the process of actually flashing the PSP only takes that ( unless you are showing someone that is holding a cup of tea so big that he/she cant see the PSP... )

And it would be some sort of non-flammabel foam inside the battery, if being filled with foam being the case....

and all slims and lites are all part of 1 wich is "Slim & Lite" which is on the box fo my hacked TA-85 PSP with original 3.60 M33 on it =D
I don't see why ANYONE would want to make a hardmodded pandora. Its just so risky (and dangerous if you're really bad with electronics) and leaves you with a duct-taped crap pandora battery, yuck. I can't decipher your last statement, but I think you were saying something about the slim/lite tool battery switcher, DON'T BUY THAT ONE. There is one designed for the original batteries and it works with ALL compatible batteries (before Sony changed the design to prevent pandorizing).

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:52 pm

:? you need to stfu. hardmodding a pandora is easy. all you need is an exacto knife
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:09 pm

17daysolderthannes wrote:Its just so risky (and dangerous if you're really bad with electronics)
See, he said why he mentioned why he does not want to do it. :lol:

Excellent

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:32 pm

but you would have to be a retard to actually kill yourself. you don't even need to solder.
wallydawg wrote:

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:19 am

palmertech wrote:
17daysolderthannes wrote:Its just so risky (and dangerous if you're really bad with electronics)
See, he said why he mentioned why he does not want to do it. :lol:
eurddrue wrote:but you would have to be a retard to actually kill yourself. you don't even need to solder.
A. I mean risky in the sense that if you did it wrong you just bought a ~$30 paperweight. If you fu ck up even ONE hard mod pandora, you have completely negated the monetary savings vs. buying a switcher or $7 pandora.

B. I'm not saying I would fu ck it up, and certainly not kill myself, I'm saying SOME could definitely do it wrong, just like all the dumbf ucks that bring me their 360s to fix after they've sufficiently ruined it by jabbing it with a screwdriver like a moron. I'm just trying to make things simple for the lowest common denominator and people that don't like the idea of a duct-taped pandora.