TUTORIAL: Make a Pandora's Battery without a homebrew PSP!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:07 am

DSpider wrote:I hope you can shed some light...

1. Is this picture accurate ?

2. What if I were to *accidentally* shortcircuit pins 5 and 6 ? Would that render the battery unusable ?
Even if there's no juice left ? I mean, total 0% after 24h between two powerful speaker magnets ?

3. Can't I just cut it ? :D I know how to use a soldering gun, but I'd preffer NOT to when it comes to screwing around with a battery (past experiences caused a few traumas).

4. What if I isolate all the pins (except pin 5) by applying transparent nail polish, and then cut it ? If you think nail polish is not very effective (which I'm starting to guess myself), can I use a thin plastic surface (like an ID card, credit card, CD, etc) to form a barrier, and then cut it ? That is, if pins 5 and 6 need to be totally separated.

5. A while ago I asked if it's ok to order a pre-made battery. Then someone told me I'd still need a homebrew-enabled PSP (or running the official 1.5) in order to make the Magic Memory Stick. Is that true ? :|
Do I need a card reader or will the files be copied ok while running official firmware ?
1. Not quite. The pins on the right are labeled correctly, but the pins on the left go 1 to 4 from the top to the bottom.

2. I'm not sure, but it would appear so judging by other people's experiences. It also can't discharge all the way. The protection circuitry prevents that. Trying to charge it again after discharging it completely would result in an explosion.

3. I had an idea. If you find the trace that the pin connects to (assuming its not a board with inner layers), you could just cut that trace.

4. That could work but I can't guarantee it because I haven't tried it.

5. If the PSP isn't bricked the OFW will work fine. PM me for a link to the files.

Also, for the people with the smaller battery board, if you could find the chip and desolder the pin will you report back how well it works? It would appear that those smaller battery boards are a newer batch (possibly shipped with the TA-082s?). My battery came with a 2.0 FW Gigapack. For everybody with the smaller battery board, when did you purchase the PSP? It would be useful to make a list of which batch of batteries can't be used if this trick doesn't work on them.

-iam

EDIT: Sweet!! I'm a senior member now! :D
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

r1tony

Post by r1tony » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:19 am

Ok the battery works now as Pandora with pin off.

But... when I put MS in and battery the PSP turns on (working) but when I press X it does nothing. I know the screen is black but its suppose to flash and turn off.

I did the 1.5 gui copied files and the slim files. I have update.pbp file in root dir and psp directory with game150 dir and slim files.

am i missing something?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:27 am

I can't really help with the Slim downgrade. All I can say is read the instructions again, and obviously make sure everything on the memory stick is placed correctly.

-iam

EDIT: So that means for all you people with the small board (particularly the 2200 mAH one), this hack will still work. The IC chip is just in a different location, that's all.
Last edited by blackbox_dev on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

r1tony

Post by r1tony » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:28 am

Is there a place that states all thats required on memory stick for this?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:31 am

This is the official thread which will show you how to do it:

http://pspx.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=513246#post513246

Britishwookie

Post by Britishwookie » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:34 am

iam I got mine from gamespot it came with my psp.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:38 am

When did you buy it, and does it have a TA-082+ mobo?

Britishwookie

Post by Britishwookie » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:20 am

sep 3rd and yes it seems like it does it has the IC1003 behind the UMD drive

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:26 am

Ok, this can't be confirmed yet but my guess is that when they changed the PSP mobo, the battery also got a revision.

-iam

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:28 am

The battery from the PSP Slim is the one I am using. It has the small board.

When I desolder the pin the power Led lights up but nothing else happens.

I have written the files properly to the memory stick using 2 different gui methods.

But when I place the battery in only the green led turns on , and it never tries to read the memory stick.

I don't think it works with the psp Slim battery.

r1tony

Post by r1tony » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:35 am

hailrazer wrote:The battery from the PSP Slim is the one I am using. It has the small board.

When I desolder the pin the power Led lights up but nothing else happens.

I have written the files properly to the memory stick using 2 different gui methods.

But when I place the battery in only the green led turns on , and it never tries to read the memory stick.

I don't think it works with the psp Slim battery.
same thing my extended battery is doing.. I think its the way the memory card is created without a phat psp. not the battery.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:04 pm

The fact that the PSP turns on with a blank screen when you put the battery in leads me to believe that the battery does work.

Hailrazer, if you used that GUI I gave you in my PM, you now need to follow these instructions to get M33 to install: http://pspx.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=513246#post513246

-iam

r1tony

Post by r1tony » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Well I have been at it for about 6 hours and the only thing the slim does is light up the green light when battery is inserted.

I have tried numers gui's, read the forum iam linked too, did everything 4 or 5 times the way described. The slim just sits there and does not even try to load from memory stick.

So either its the battery not going into service mode, or you actually need a fat psp to create the MS.

I am about ready to throw this thing at the wall and forget it.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:42 pm

What operating system are you running on your computer?

Does the Wi-fi light come on?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:03 pm

r1tony wrote:Well I have been at it for about 6 hours and the only thing the slim does is light up the green light when battery is inserted.

I have tried numers gui's, read the forum iam linked too, did everything 4 or 5 times the way described. The slim just sits there and does not even try to load from memory stick.

So either its the battery not going into service mode, or you actually need a fat psp to create the MS.

I am about ready to throw this thing at the wall and forget it.
Same exact thing here.

Wi-fi never lights up, memory stick never lights up.

Running Windows Vista.