TUTORIAL: Make a Pandora's Battery without a homebrew PSP!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat May 24, 2008 9:31 am

Im still thankful that I didnt update my PSP to the newest firmware xD. I got mine used.

Akira

All Right!

Post by Akira » Sat May 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Edit I asked a question but I got it all figured out thanks to all the people that worked their butts off to figure this out, And to all the batterys that could have given their lives through trial and error lol :p Anyways my PSP works better then ever.. I've used it more in the past 30 mins then I have in the past 5 months lol

jayl666

A safer theory

Post by jayl666 » Thu May 29, 2008 6:40 pm

I was very interested when I first saw this hack, however I was put off by the possibility of explosion. I’m no technical expert but from what I understand this basically sets a pin on a microcontroller to binary 1 or positive current. What I was wondering was what the three pins on the psp battery are. I figured that one must be positive, one ground, and one a data line so I thought maybe if you bypassed the data line and connected it to positive current then the psp would go into its service mode. This would really make your hack a less invasive operation. Thanks for your time I’m probably not on to something, but I’m hoping for a safer option, eventually. :)

benol

Post by benol » Sat May 31, 2008 11:00 pm

I have done the battery hack, but I am completely lost on how to get the files working. I have tried 3 different things, and all I get is a blank screen. Please Email, IM, or PM me the files or a link to the files.
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

veshy

Post by veshy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:45 pm

okay so, i took the pin COMPLEATLY out with a needle insted of soldering it. i have a new model top battery. i wanted to test it out. so i took everything out (memory stick, ac adapter, and other battery.) i inserted the hacked battery... nothing. so i put in the ac adapter. the orange LED came on, so i turned the psp on. the settings said i had a 100% charged battery. i removed the ac adapter and the power went off.
Is this normal for the pandora battery?

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:09 pm

veshy wrote:okay so, i took the pin COMPLEATLY out with a needle insted of soldering it. i have a new model top battery. i wanted to test it out. so i took everything out (memory stick, ac adapter, and other battery.) i inserted the hacked battery... nothing. so i put in the ac adapter. the orange LED came on, so i turned the psp on. the settings said i had a 100% charged battery. i removed the ac adapter and the power went off. Is this normal for the pandora battery?
Uh-oh. That is so-not-normal for a pandora.

A normal pandora will turn on the PSP's green light instantly and shows a blank screen.

veshy

Post by veshy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:35 pm

i tried the battery again. this time i had to plug the ac adapter in again,and the LED went orange, but when i turned the psp on the screen was black. i unpluged the ac and the LED went to green... black screen green LED. should i give it a shot?

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm

veshy wrote:i tried the battery again. this time i had to plug the ac adapter in again,and the LED went orange, but when i turned the psp on the screen was black. i unpluged the ac and the LED went to green... black screen green LED. should i give it a shot?
That's your cue! Gun for it! :D

Here's what I did on my (Phat) PSP:
1. Turn WiFi switch off. Remove UMD. Remove any memory stick.
2. Charge the battery for a few hours. (I charged mine for 1 hour)
3. Pop the battery out, remove charger.
4. Insert the prepared memory stick.
5. Hold the L trigger, don't let go.
6. Insert battery.
7. Some writing will appear on the screen.
8. Release L trigger.
9. Put charger quickly!
10. I pressed X button.

Here is the LINK on the thread I made. I photographed the whole process of homebrewing my PSP and it has helped some people getting it to work.

Good luck, and happy homebrewing!

iShinn

Post by iShinn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Ok, YES, Everything worked. I have the newer batter, with the smaller mother board thingy.
What i did was everything in this guide. BUT,I accidently cut PIN#6+5 at the same time. :x but then i resoldered it after(PIN # 6). Then i used the battery to downgrade. Everything worked, but i had to keep it plugged with the charger to downgrade(i dont know why). I downgraded it to 1.50, then got it to 3.52 m33.

But then, i got my hopes too high. I dont know what happened. Whenever i turn the PSP on without the charger, nothing happens. But when i use the charger, it turns on. Everything actually worked. Like, the screen, and everything worked. Then after, it didnt even detect the battery at all. It was solely using the Charger. And even MORE after, the PSP didnt even turn on at all, even with the charger(no battery inserted). It acts if it is still a Pandora's Battery. It still goes into service mode when i insert the MMS(with the charger, without it, it doesnt even turn on, but when i plug in the charger, it automaticlly turns on). xD i know this was kinda long but , please help!

Summary of what i did:
-Get MMS.
-Cut off pin #5 and #6(By accident, Resoldered PIN #6) with needle.
-Tested battery. Didnt work because it didnt have enough power.
-Charged it for an hour.
-Still didnt work. So i Downgraded with the charger... Not sure if you supposted to do that.
-Downgrade was sucessful.
-I resoldered PIN #5.
-Turned on PSP without battery+MMS, only with charger. DIDNT WORK?!?
-Turned on PSP with battery, without MMS, with charger. Worked.
-Upgraded to 3.52 M33
-Cracked open battery to resolder PIN #5 cause i thought it was loose. (Battery wouldnt work without charger)
-Then, I tried again. Doesnt Work even with charger. ._.

Now the PSP doesnt even work at all. D: It only works when i have MMS, and pandora, with charger. Goes to Service mode. Thats all.

PSP:
Battery Works WHEN
[ ]Battery Only
[ ]Battery + MMS
[x]Battery + MMS + Charger (Goes INTO the Downgrade Menu)
[ ]Charger only.

Sorry if this is confusing, and too long. :[ Trying to give as MUCH info as i can.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:01 pm

iShinn wrote: -Cut off pin #5 and #6(By accident, Resoldered PIN #6) with needle.
-Tested battery. Didnt work because it didnt have enough power.

[x]Battery + MMS + Charger (Goes INTO the Downgrade Menu)
1. Cutting off both pins = NOT cool. But if you have resoldered it correctly, then there may be hope left.

2. You can try charging it a whole day. I did that to my "crashed" battery.

3. Goes into the downgrade menu? Maybe you haven't connected the pins properly, or you killed the chip. In that case you have to buy a new one. On the bright side, you now have a pandora's battery. A permanent one. Useful for mass-PSP homebrew enablings.

copclown

fat PSP

Post by copclown » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:14 pm

Does a Pandora's Battery also work on a fat PSP? 'Cause I read somewhere that it only works on a slim PSP...

Aguiluz

Re: fat PSP

Post by Aguiluz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:19 pm

copclown wrote:Does a Pandora's Battery also work on a fat PSP? 'Cause I read somewhere that it only works on a slim PSP...
LOL. :lol: The Pandora's Battery is initially designed for Phats, so it works on it. It also works with Slims.

Here's a thread that I wrote that shows how to use it. :wink:

Good luck!

dapeeper

Success with unbricking

Post by dapeeper » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:40 am

Hi

PSP Phat, bricked 2 years ago.

I followed the guide. I cut pin 6 from my battery.
I extracted my memory chip and inserted it into my laptop since it has provision for this.
I ran the program for the Super Nubie Guide and it installed files on the mem stick.

Back to my PSP, I disconnected the mains power, inserted the memory stick and popped in my pandorised battery.

Lo and behold, the blank screen of 2 years came to life. I followed the on screen prompts exactly as in the guide that comes with the software. Lots of writing on the screen later, I had a working PSP.

I popped out my battery and powered with the a/c adapter and updated the bios to 3.71 - m33.

Finally once I was happy that the PS booted fine, I dropped a tiny blob of solder on pin 6 and de-pandorised my battery. Taped it up and popped it back in and everything was fine.

The guys who cracked this are the goods. This really works.

Kudos to Dark Alex and his pals for reviving my PSP.

When it was bricked it was a Version 1.5 (downgraded from 2). Since then the PSP scene has made huge leaps and I believe DAX has released v4.01-2 M33

Off to get it now and update.

Thanks to the originator of this post, I was saved a couple of 100 $ on a new PSP.

Those who cannot get this to work are either not Pandorising their battery properly or are not using the proper Magic Stick files. Remember you need BOTH the P battery and the M Stick. Neither work alone.

Good luck.

dapeeper

Success with unbricking

Post by dapeeper » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:42 am

Sorry somehow double posted.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum! :)