Blue electron gun: Epic frustration!

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

threedog
Blue electron gun: Epic frustration!

Post by threedog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:57 am

Did a full re-cap on the monitor chassis of my old Korean candy cab today, to correct a vertical collapse problem. Vert collapse is fixed, but now no blue shows up on the screen at all. There is continuity all the way from the game PCB all the way to the blue signal on the CRT neck board. The game PCB is definitely putting out proper RGB. (I tested it on my TV with a video converter.) So looks like my CRT is shot, gonna be a pain in the rear to find a replacement where I am. Frustrated!!!! (I am.) Is there any wat to test the electron guns on a CRT with just a cheap multimeter? It's a 29 inch monitor with a 10 pin neck. Thanks.

whatchitfoool
PSN Username:whatchitfoool
360 GamerTag:whatchitfoool
Steam ID:whatchitfoool

Re: Blue electron gun: Epic frustration!

Post by whatchitfoool » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:24 am

I think you can check if one is firing (electrically working), but that won't tell you if its ACTUALLY working (but you can tell that with your eyes). the blue gun could be dirtied; you might need to rejuvenate it to bring the color back.
of course, if your blue cathode has been depleted of its material, it could still electrically look like its operating, not show color, and not be rejuvenatable.

Its been a few years scene ive had a play with any crt; have a read here for more info http://arcadecontrols.com/files/Miscell ... crtfaq.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

threedog

Re: Blue electron gun: Epic frustration!

Post by threedog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Well, thanks for the tip. I did what I could to troubleshoot that monitor, and eventually I ended up finding a junk TV with a 27 inch tube to swap in. I think I know why the TV was junk to begin with. It's colors are all screwed up too. I thought the tube might still be ok, so I swapped it onto my monitor chassis, and the colors were way wrong, but this time it had blue. I think the TV was hit by lightning or something. So, still on the hunt. It's hard to find stuff to work with over here (Korea). I bet once I get back Stateside, it'll be way easier. Oh well, will keep trying.