Creating Multi Platorm Systems

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

rcullan
Creating Multi Platorm Systems

Post by rcullan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:32 pm

I am currently going down a project to make a multi system gaming platorm out of an old (and big) Dell PC Tower. As a baseline I will be adding a NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genasis, and Atari 7800. Possibly a sega Master System as well, but likely not at this point

My question entails the video and audio systems of all the game systems will be wired to a single video output "hub" if you will at the back of the PC tower where the usual hookups are. There will be a selector switch to pick which system will be playing and it will only be one at a time. Now when one system is out putting video and hooked upto a common buss will I have to be concerned about the degradation as a result of bleed back into the other currently not selected systems.

All the systems (and the ground of the audio/video hub) will be wire and powered off a convereted ATX power supply. So I think the potential is there

I could add indiidual diodes on the video and audio lines to prevent this but again, I dont know what type (if any) wont affect the signals

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I build rocket parts for a living... really

marioxb

Re: Creating Multi Platorm Systems

Post by marioxb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:46 pm

I don't have really any experience in this, but I would probably wire in a system selector in there, something like this

http://www.hsn.com/products/universal-s ... 1b2166c2c0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

where you would use the switch on it as your switch to select which system is being routed to the TV.

rcullan

Post by rcullan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm

For the record I ended up going with this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005NCWK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All spring returned buttons exactly what I was looking for.
I build rocket parts for a living... really

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:01 pm

What is the allure of creating a multi-platform system in a Dell tower? Seems like taking great original hardware with their nostalgic case design elements and shoving them into an ugly cumbersome box. If you are going to go multiplatform build something visually appealing and adventurous like a steampunk multi-platform or the thermaltake pc by BMW or something inspired by Frank Gehry. Pick an inspiration and go with that but please be inspired by something other than a rectangle made by Dell.
ImageImage