Handi-pad!

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Mikeyman64
Handi-pad!

Post by Mikeyman64 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Introducing the Handi-pad!

Sure, the name is corny, but at least it's (99%) done!

This is a hacked up Xbox 360 controller in a custom wooden case I have designed for a buddy of mine who has Spastic Cerebral Palsy. He plays Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (poor, poor Mr. Curt Schilling, you were better as a pitcher), but has been having a tough time with the keyboard and xbox controller options. The fighting game arcade pad options were no good either because they lacked a decent solution for the shoulder triggers.

The design is VERY basic, as is the case with many "first editions", however due to the game of choice's simplistic control scheme, I think it will do suffice.

The main attraction of this device is the extended analog sticks. Simply enough, they are 360 sticks with wooden dowels bored out and glued into place. This is as close as I could get to simulating my friend's wheelchair control stick (which he is amazingly good with). The only other thing I may add to the sticks is some of that rubber craft fabric to give them a more grippy, comfortable feel.

My personal favorite part of this device are its custom "shoulder" buttons. As the pictures below show, I devised a simple sliding slot technique comprised of wooden dowels, wood cutouts, and a couple of bolts. It works pretty well, especially after I added the little wooden pieces above the middle dowels to keep it from sagging down.

The last special feature is the custom d-pad. I actually completely forgot about it until late in the project, but I think it turned out nicely. I just used triangle cutouts and some tact switches. Each gives a nice clean "click".

I think everything else is fairly self-explanatory. All I really have left to do is add some finishing cosmetic touches and play some games with it to test it's workability/durability. I'll post more pictures once it's prettier to look at.

-Ben

P.S. Sorry if the pics seem to jump around a lot. I've been pretty busy and haven't always remembered to take pictures.

Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

lexxion83

Re: Handi-pad!

Post by lexxion83 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:25 am

Looks pretty good. Just make sure you he/she does not break the analog sticks. Check for the limit of motion. Great work on helping someone.

Mikeyman64

Re: Handi-pad!

Post by Mikeyman64 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:28 am

lexxion83 wrote:Looks pretty good. Just make sure you he/she does not break the analog sticks. Check for the limit of motion. Great work on helping someone.
That is my only worry, honestly. Thankfully, he has had a power chair for years now, and his motor skills for that exact type of control are very good. Worst case, I may need to buy some beefier sticks for the next model.

Thanks for the post!
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27