Arcade Coffee/Cocktail Table

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

electromaster64
Re: Arcade Coffee/Cocktail Table

Post by electromaster64 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Just ordered the glass! Didn't like the fit or finish of the subwoofer enclosure above so I went back to the drawing board today and will have a different one finished soon. Not sure what I was thinking when designing the first one because it was hideous.
ImageImage

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:51 pm

New Bandpass Enclosure

ImageImage

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Considering the near complete lack of feedback you've gotten, I'd just like to say that I've been following this, and it look's freaking awesome.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Also, I think it'd be nice if you plugged up the screw holes and smoothed out the sides real well, that polished and smooth look of the inspiration is definitely worth carrying over to this.

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks! The majority of the screw holes are unnecessary I just bought a bunch of large socket bolts and dexided on where to put them for a more industrial look. I like the polish on the original and thought about buffing out the finish but I decided on something a little more rugged looking and I am sure my kids will beat on the thing so this look will hide that future abuse :)
ImageImage

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:59 pm

The new bandpass enclosure is finished and installed. I used acrylic on the new sub enclosure and it looks sweet! I have a little more to do to the screen, I decided on removing the original housing and making a wood bezel, and then will get that installed.

Finished Enclosure

Installed Enclosure
ImageImage

whatchitfoool
PSN Username:whatchitfoool
360 GamerTag:whatchitfoool
Steam ID:whatchitfoool

Post by whatchitfoool » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 pm

electromaster64 wrote:Any tips for installing HyperSpin?
Its the best. (too bad HS2 is delayed)

watch your install paths closely when configuring.

A gold (or platinum) HS membership is a godsend for the FTP. would recommend it.

and EMUmovies for the video snaps (just get a lifetime membership). real good stuff.

If you are going to put everything for games before 1999 on, be prepared for it to hog up like 400Gb. You dont need a very good computer at all for this, but I personally think it will save a lot of headaches if it was new enough to have SATA. and I wish id of plopped down the cash on a 500GB performance drive.

The Cocktail is lookin great.
Last edited by whatchitfoool on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Wow 400GB! I have 32GB flash card attached to the hard drive slot. If I were gonna go bare bones what are the most important features I should take advantage of?
ImageImage

whatchitfoool

Post by whatchitfoool » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:39 pm

bare MAME with the non CHD games and an os is gonna be 50gb+.

if you cut that down to a rom list you might actually play (500-1000 games) id still say 10-15 gb especially with a paging and hibernation files.

Then add Hyper-Spin.
HS its self isnt very big, maybe a few hundred MB. The problem is all the nice graphic art assets, and especially video snaps. HS v1 unfortunately used .flv flash video files. real big. HS 2 will use mp4, and in comparison the video snaps will be at least an order of magnitude smaller.

The biggest hog if you skip the CHD games will be the video snaps. you can go with picture snaps , and save a lot of space. But I think it doesn't look nearly as good, or give you the same amount of info on a game you are on the fence about playing.

you COULD network out the art assets, but I would only do it with a gigabit connection - otherwise it will have a slow UI.

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 am

More progress pics:

Removing Screen Bezel to Fit in Table

Screen Mount

Glass Installed

ImageImage

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Final assembly is underway. All thats left to do is to make a bezel to go between the tinted glass and the screen and then find out how to mount the PC power supply. Kinda thinking about having a bezel printed and backlighting it but I may just go with black.

Beginning Final Assembly

Screen and PC Mounted to Table

Surge Protector
ImageImage

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:43 am

It powers on! Now to get to work configuring everything on the computer and it will be a done deal!

First Power Up!
ImageImage

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Everything is finished. I am just having trouble getting anything loaded. I am using a CF to IDE adaptor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... Mgodoz8AGw) and a Dell USB Multi Recorder (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/ ... id=R271847) but the system doesn't seem to recognize them. Any thoughts? Once they are recognized I will load Windows.
ImageImage

whatchitfoool

Post by whatchitfoool » Tue May 28, 2013 7:47 am

If set up correctly, the adapter should be transparent to the mobo. sounds like something on the adapter or in the bios is not configured correctly.
If its old enough to have IDE, I wouldn't think that it is going to boot from USB (if you are trying that).

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:22 am

You're kidding, right?
Boot from USB has been common since the early 2000's, IDE only recently stopped showing up on new mobos.

whatchitfoool

Post by whatchitfoool » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:27 pm

No, not at all.

I'm kind of talking more consumer based mobs, not DIY assembles.
I've worked on a few thousand computers, And I didnt see USB booting untill 2006-7 in a few high-end rigs. It wasn't even remotely common till 2009 or so.
I think macs did it a good 6 or so years before PCs, and they only started that on their expensive line in like '99

I can remember seeing [consumer] mobos in 2005 with sata ports and no IDE. I don't recall seeing too many PCs with IDE and boot from USB.

I was also taking a guess that you had salvaged a mobo from an older computer for this project, and is the way with most arcade cabs.

Which drive are you trying to boot?