Troy's Pinball - Arcade Sequel Build

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Muniosi
Re: Troy's Pinball - Arcade Sequel Build

Post by Muniosi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:15 pm

DUDE that's amazing. Can't wait to see it finished!

ARTbyTROY

Post by ARTbyTROY » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:21 pm

The cables inside the pinball machine are out of control, a good part of the mess is from power cables. I ordered three one footers to cut down on some of it, now the 16" monitor, Antec PSU and the power brick for the LED lighting all have short power cables.

I attached two strips of 3M screw strong tape to the backs of the speakers, this stuff is great and it really helps move fabrication along.

Here is a shot of the back box with everything installed, I still need to make a back painted acrylic cover piece for the front of the back box.

Every pinball machine has a lockdown bar to hold the playfield glass down, below is what I came up with for the lockdown bar on my machine. I measured, cut and drilled a piece of acrylic including a button hole, I also cut to length a piece of black plastic lockdown channel and aluminum angle and then bolt everything together.

Assembled and installed for a test fit and it looks pretty snazzy, now it just needs some black vinyl paint.

I plan to attach the acrylic lockdown using auto panel fasteners, my reasoning is if I ever need to remove the playfield glass I can simply open the access door in the bottom of the machine and pop up the lockdown panel with no tools required.

Here is the finished lockdown panel painted and installed, the square blue button is wired for pausing the game, the camera flash/angle makes the square button look kind of washed out when it is actually the exact same color as the other two blue buttons.

Visit my site: CaseModGod.com

ARTbyTROY

Post by ARTbyTROY » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Time to make the back glass, below is a sheet of clear acrylic that I copied measurements onto and then double stick taped some aluminum angle onto it in preparation for scoring and snapping.

Here it is test fit, it was too tight so I had to sand down the edges a little to make it fit right.

I removed the paper backing and set it in place, using a black Sharpie I marked the corners of both screens with a dot and measured/marked an X through the centers the centers of both speakers.

I put the back glass front side down on the table and using clear contact paper, a ruler and a razor blade cut masks for both monitors, wide masking tape was placed on the backside of the speaker cut-outs in prep for some 2 1/2" hole saw action.

The back glass was then back painted with Plasti Kote vinyl paint and test fit again, I have a couple more things to do to the back glass before it can be final installed, but it's not far now.

danielPH

Post by danielPH » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:35 am

Awesome, I've always wanted to build a pinball machine.

ARTbyTROY

Post by ARTbyTROY » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:09 pm

danielPH wrote:Awesome, I've always wanted to build a pinball machine.
Me too, I never knew I could or I would have done it sooner... you should build one, it's fun.

Below is a side edge view of the back glass panel, it is a friggin' dust magnet and the worst part is that no matter how much I dust it off it keeps coming back... I have been down this road before though and know exactly how to handle it.

Time to cut out for the LCD screen faces, in the next picture I taped thin lines to the exact edges of each screen in preparation for cutting.

I used my Dremel and a ripsaw blade to make the cut outs for both screens, then the edges were sanded and it was sprayed with black vinyl paint on both sides. I cut the top edge of the back glass panel a hair short by mistake, so I used a length of black automotive door edge trim to fix it.

My back glass is now more of a trim panel, but I don't mind because it will make cleaning the LCD monitor screens a lot easier, and with the acrylic removed the monitors won't have as much reflective glare.