Affordable ANALOG arcade joystick?

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Mikeyman64
Affordable ANALOG arcade joystick?

Post by Mikeyman64 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Hey all,
I'm starting a special kind of arcade controller (will be revealed via making-of thread) that needs some joysticks. I will be using a hacked 360 controller for the main board, and it will be used to play more than 4-directional games. That being said, I need an affordable source for some analog joysticks. The best I could come up with so far is maybe to find some old PS2 joystick things, or maybe some old PC flight sticks at GoodWill. I just don't know if I may run into any quality issues.

I have a couple more work-around solutions, such as modding the analog sticks from the 360 controller, but I figured I'd ask here in case there was some secret arcade parts suppliers that you all knew about. I would much rather find some actual arcade sticks. All I could find on google were either $150+ sticks and some kind of USB, programmable things. Not to mention a plethora of 4/8-way sticks.

Any help would be nice. :)

-Mikeyman64
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

Galane

Re: Affordable ANALOG arcade joystick?

Post by Galane » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:17 am

Not that many arcade games use analog sticks or other analog controls. Tail Gunner used an analog stick but that's ancient and collectable. Star Wars used an analog 2-axis steering yoke. Space Harrier used an analog stick too.

Perhaps one of the "49 way" sticks would work? Here's an interesting article http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Joysticks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;