My Portable NES

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

fatman2778
PSN Username:fatman2778
360 GamerTag:fatman2778
Steam ID:fatman2778
My Portable NES

Post by fatman2778 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Hey guys I've been looking for somewhere that may have some suggestions for my current NES project. Picked it up for $8 about 2 years ago and recently decided to put a screen on it. I dont have step by step pics but I have some older ones and some current ones, let me know what you think. I am trying to get this powered off a battery pack but I have yet to figure out how. Sorry about the low quality of the last three photos, my camera was dead so i used my ipod.

Back view after i got the screen mounted up. Still using two power adapters.

Inside the case after my last changes

Front view

Back view after changes. (mute switch, volume wheel, power indicator, new power source)
I am planning on painting it all when everything is done as well.

tom61

Re: My Portable NES

Post by tom61 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Not too bad for a first effort. As far as the battery, find out what voltage the screen uses, then you just need a regulator to take the power down to that voltage from the battery. The NES itself uses 9 Volts, which can easily be had from an external DVD player battery.

fatman2778
PSN Username:fatman2778
360 GamerTag:fatman2778
Steam ID:fatman2778

Re: My Portable NES

Post by fatman2778 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Well the battery that I have is from the dvd player and its 7.4VDC so I can get away with using it but I dont have enough room inside the NES for it. Right now the power adapter from the dvd player powers both the NES and the screen, but I'm not sure how long the battery will last because it is about 6 years old. Gonna check out DH-Gate and see if I can find something that would work. Right now the battery is a low priority. My highest priority is getting the case to be closed all the way without pushing the tray down, or just getting a 72 pin from a toploader and fitting it in so the cartridges don't have to be pushed in and down.