Converted an old Tri-Sports arcade machine to a MAME cabinet

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Creebo
360 GamerTag:TheWillToHarp
Steam ID:FireflyTi
Converted an old Tri-Sports arcade machine to a MAME cabinet

Post by Creebo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Hey all, I've been working on a MAME cabinet for my room for the past couple of months and I just completed it!
How the cabinet looked before I touched it.

Overview of the finished cabinet

The front flips down to reveal the mouse and keyboard. It's a little tight, but it works.

Overview of the control panel. I used formica on the top as an extra layer of protection and as a trackball cover :)

Marquee

Front

Computer internals. It's a dual core Pentium D with 2GB of RAM and a nVidia 8600GT

Pinball flippers

Underside of the CP. Using a SNES controller connected to a parallel port as the encoder.

EDIT: Fixing huge pictures, sorry!
EDIT2: Annnd fixed. Well, they're half the size as before :P

Muniosi

Re: Converted an old Tri-Sports arcade machine to a MAME cabinet

Post by Muniosi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Very nice! Was philanthropizing building my own arcade cabinet.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 am

Nicely done! I see you're in Milwaukee. You should bring this to the Midwest Gaming Classic in Brookfield in March and join a large number of us Benheckers there! (well, assuming you can get a buddy to help you carry it, I assume it's heavy :lol: )
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Creebo
360 GamerTag:TheWillToHarp
Steam ID:FireflyTi

Post by Creebo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm actually in Salem, about 20 minutes west of Kenosha. I'm coming to MGC this year, but wasn't thinking about bringing it. But if you guys got the space, maybe I will!

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Creebo wrote:I'm actually in Salem, about 20 minutes west of Kenosha. I'm coming to MGC this year, but wasn't thinking about bringing it. But if you guys got the space, maybe I will!
Last year there was a whole separate room for arcade cabinets. Though since this one is DIY (rather than restored), I'm not sure if it would be a better fit in the Benheck Experience room or in the arcade cabinet room. (i.e. last year Ben's DIY Bill Paxton Pinball was in the BHE room, rather than the pinball machines room.)

I look forward to seeing you there!
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.