First Jamma Machine

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Gmeintanis
First Jamma Machine

Post by Gmeintanis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:56 am

I am in the planning stages of building my first Jamma machine, its gonna be a small wall mounted cabinet, space is an issue. I already bought the first board for it too, Rockman Power Fighter. anyway, i wanted to use an old lcd computer monitor, my thought was that i could avoid having to build a converter and put the monitor to use instead of buying something new. It only has VGA inputs, how do i wire it to the jamma harness? do i need to build a converter or will it connect directly?
Thanks for the help guys

tom61

Re: First Jamma Machine

Post by tom61 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm

If it is compatible with the sync rate JAMMA boards typically use (15kHz horizontal), you just wire up RGB to RGB and S to H. Being an older LCD it may not sync to that rate(some newer LCDs do, oddly), in which case you'll need an up-scan converter, which is not easily made, but can found for around $36 on eBay last I heard.

JAMMA pinout:
http://www.jammaboards.com/jcenter_jamma_pinout.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VGA pinout:
http://www.jammaboards.com/jcenter_jamma_pinout.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (JAMMA sync goes to pin 13), don't worry about IDs or anything else.

Gmeintanis

Post by Gmeintanis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 am

ok, I just ordered a GBS-8220 converter. and im about to order my buttons and sticks, all Happ of course.

Gmeintanis

Post by Gmeintanis » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:45 pm

had some control panel questions.
Im not sure how many buttons i should have. going with two player, so im thinking four buttons and a player start button for each side and one coin button that is wired to both players.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:16 pm

If you're into fighters like Street Fighter, you'll want 6. Neo Geo games are 4 button. Most other JAMMA games are only 3 or two button.