Possible to Create Own Personal Portable Device

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

CryWolf
Possible to Create Own Personal Portable Device

Post by CryWolf » Sun May 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Hey everyone, I am trying to work on a video game project my friends and I have come up with. The original idea for the game is to make it portable. I was wondering if it is possible for an individual (not asking if you can do it for me) to be able to make a device for that specific reason. The whole idea is monster capturing and we wanted to create a portable device so that people can capture monsters wherever they are in the world. Now granted there is more to the entire project than just capturing monsters, but we can not give away too many details. But again, is it possible for a person to create a device just for a specific game like that? And how? How much would it cost also?

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: Possible to Create Own Personal Portable Device

Post by bassmasta » Mon May 23, 2011 12:06 am

Depends a lot on your skills. (Anything is possible!)

Are you thinking like a Tamagotchi, with a monochrome display and simplistic functions? You may be able to make something like that cheaply. (cheap being relative)

But why go through all the trouble to make a single function device like that? Making something like an iPhone/Android app that interfaces with the cell phone's GPS/tracking functions could have tons more functionality (multiplayer, trading, unique monsters, etc.) Really a lot easier to repurpose existing hardware.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

CryWolf

Post by CryWolf » Mon May 23, 2011 11:41 am

bassmasta wrote:Depends a lot on your skills. (Anything is possible!)

Are you thinking like a Tamagotchi, with a monochrome display and simplistic functions? You may be able to make something like that cheaply. (cheap being relative)

But why go through all the trouble to make a single function device like that? Making something like an iPhone/Android app that interfaces with the cell phone's GPS/tracking functions could have tons more functionality (multiplayer, trading, unique monsters, etc.) Really a lot easier to repurpose existing hardware.
In all honesty, the device I am trying to make, I plan on it having GPS and internet along with it being used as a cell phone. I also plan on having people being able to trade, battle eachother, etc. But in my idea, I plan on having battling and trading only online, or at stations (if the game becomes a huge success I plan on opening my own store for the players to go in and do their thing; battle, trade, buy upgrades, etc.) I also plan on having tournaments on the anniversary of the games release.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Mon May 23, 2011 1:08 pm

So you want to make a cell phone? I hope you have an EE degree.

Honestly, the best thing to do is to make an app. You can have server authentication for monster creation (so hacking is limited), battles from anywhere, and most already have GPS capabilities. Way cheaper, too.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

CryWolf

Post by CryWolf » Mon May 23, 2011 3:47 pm

bassmasta wrote:So you want to make a cell phone? I hope you have an EE degree.

Honestly, the best thing to do is to make an app. You can have server authentication for monster creation (so hacking is limited), battles from anywhere, and most already have GPS capabilities. Way cheaper, too.
The cell phone is just an idea, but I do want the device to connect to the internet and AT LEAST be able to send out messages, etc.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat May 28, 2011 1:44 am

Outta be interesting to see someone single handed make this type of game. Even though technically it could be considered a rip off of Pokemon........

Just know this, besides just the whole programming expertise you would need to make something like this, you would also need to be able to understand the basic hardware and electrical functions that this game would need. Circuitry and ALL! Seriously though, you would need a lot of time and money to just create something like this. A lot!

I could suggest a gaming software development kit might help get you off your feet. At least get the game running and the way you want it before taking a crack at designing hardware to run it.

CryWolf

Post by CryWolf » Sat May 28, 2011 1:10 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:Outta be interesting to see someone single handed make this type of game. Even though technically it could be considered a rip off of Pokemon........

Just know this, besides just the whole programming expertise you would need to make something like this, you would also need to be able to understand the basic hardware and electrical functions that this game would need. Circuitry and ALL! Seriously though, you would need a lot of time and money to just create something like this. A lot!

I could suggest a gaming software development kit might help get you off your feet. At least get the game running and the way you want it before taking a crack at designing hardware to run it.
Granted, monster capturing, same concept. However, Pokemon was in game monster capturing, in game battling, plus the attacks were simplistic. My plan is to make people actually look around and find monster, connect to a PC or a battle area in the store, and do moves based on button controls and actually see the monster pulling off the moves.

You do have a point, I should get the game going before getting the hardware for it. At the moment though, it is tough. With all that I want to do for the game, I'm going to need a team of people otherwise it'll take me several years in order to finish it. I know getting everything, game/hardware and all will take a couple of years on it's own, but to get it done correctly, efficiently, and quickly I'm going to need a team. And I can't really ask the people at my school, I go online for my degree.

If you know anyone that would be interested in helping out, please let me know or point them in my direction. I would greatly definitely appreciate it.