Where go buy or have a cabinet built for cheap?

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Nazraen
PSN Username:Nazraen
Where go buy or have a cabinet built for cheap?

Post by Nazraen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:02 pm

I lack the space and tools to build my own cabinet from scratch. I have the PC components (I also have a working SFII board in case I get bored and want a dedicated machine), speakers, and about everything else other than buttons (I know where to get some already), and the cabinet it's self. Does anyone know of a service that will build a cabinet or cut the MDF for you and ship it for fairly cheap in the in or around Ohio? My searches so far have turned up pretty much nothing and if I didn't already shave my head, I would probably be losing my hair over this. Thanks in advance for any answers or creative solutions.

rikitheshadow

Re: Where go buy or have a cabinet built for cheap?

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:20 am

Try this place NorthCoast Custom Arcades

They have a decent number of cabinet designs that ship pre-cut and are easy to assemble like most furniture these days.
Their Upright design seems great for a MAME project, and has a slide out keyboard spot with still having a typical control panel on top.

Nazraen

Post by Nazraen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:02 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:Try this place NorthCoast Custom Arcades

They have a decent number of cabinet designs that ship pre-cut and are easy to assemble like most furniture these days.
Their Upright design seems great for a MAME project, and has a slide out keyboard spot with still having a typical control panel on top.
Yeah, I was checking them out about a year ago and I really do like the look of their upright. My only issue is that when you start throwing in the TV mount, t-molding, coin door, the mount for xarcade controls (if you go that route), and so forth, it gets pretty expensive. Awesome suggestion though and thanks for it too, I almost forgot about them. I'm going to keep looking myself, but if you think of anything else don't be afraid to post. I'm open to pretty much everything. I'm trying to get a hold of an ex-boss that I worked for at a family arcade. Since his business shut down I was hoping to be able to score a machine off of him for cheap (especially MvC2 since that would be perfect), but man, did he ever disappear without a trace.

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:45 pm

There have been a few Ikea→arcade conversions, but I've yet to see an upright.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Snow_Cat wrote:There have been a few Ikea→arcade conversions, but I've yet to see an upright.
There's this:

A bit of work and I think you could actually make a decent cab out of it.

Probably more practical would be keeping an eye on Craigslist (or local equivalent), arcade forum FS posts, and eBay Arcade Machines within so many miles search.

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:22 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of a desk/shelf combo unit turned to its side that would blend with an existing living room set what with the dark stained pine or...

^ > < ^ Great.

< - - > Now I want to design one, and see if there is a cabinet maker nearby.

Nazraen

Post by Nazraen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:09 pm

I actually found a couple of local arcades that sell their empty cabinets pretty close by. One guy said he would work with me on getting a gutted SFII cabinet with a working monitor and buttons. Unfortunately he can't deliver it. Another guy though has gutted cabinets of all kinds including candy cabinets and will deliver for a fee. It's a tough call. The SFII cab would be great, especially if I wanted to do a dedicated machine. Decisions, decisions. I'm still keeping my eyes open in case something better comes along.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 am

Nazraen wrote:I actually found a couple of local arcades that sell their empty cabinets pretty close by. One guy said he would work with me on getting a gutted SFII cabinet with a working monitor and buttons. Unfortunately he can't deliver it. Another guy though has gutted cabinets of all kinds including candy cabinets and will deliver for a fee. It's a tough call. The SFII cab would be great, especially if I wanted to do a dedicated machine. Decisions, decisions. I'm still keeping my eyes open in case something better comes along.
Cabinets of that size don't weigh too much, and can fit in most regular size truck beds. If you got a truck I'm pretty sure you could swing by and pick it up yourself easily and that would help reduce the cost. Especially on that SFII cabinet, I suggest going with that if you plan on doing a MAME build using an Arcade VGA option.

Nazraen

Post by Nazraen » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:24 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:
Nazraen wrote:I actually found a couple of local arcades that sell their empty cabinets pretty close by. One guy said he would work with me on getting a gutted SFII cabinet with a working monitor and buttons. Unfortunately he can't deliver it. Another guy though has gutted cabinets of all kinds including candy cabinets and will deliver for a fee. It's a tough call. The SFII cab would be great, especially if I wanted to do a dedicated machine. Decisions, decisions. I'm still keeping my eyes open in case something better comes along.
Cabinets of that size don't weigh too much, and can fit in most regular size truck beds. If you got a truck I'm pretty sure you could swing by and pick it up yourself easily and that would help reduce the cost. Especially on that SFII cabinet, I suggest going with that if you plan on doing a MAME build using an Arcade VGA option.
Yeah, my problem is that I don't have a truck. What I might end up doing though is renting a U-Haul for a day and just going that route. If I had the space I would pick up two cabinets. Damn you money woes!

BTW, your avatar kills me. Is that from one of the earlier Gundam series?

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Nazraen wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote:
Yeah, my problem is that I don't have a truck. What I might end up doing though is renting a U-Haul for a day and just going that route. If I had the space I would pick up two cabinets. Damn you money woes!

Ya, its from Zeta Gundam, my friend made it for me cause he and I both like Lt. Quattro, or better known as Char Aznable......if I spelled any of that right.

On a side note, I had to rent a 14' U-Haul truck to get my Virtual On Cabinets from some guy on craigslist. Things weigh 550 lbs. each

Nazraen

Post by Nazraen » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:23 am

rikitheshadow wrote:
Nazraen wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote:

Ya, its from Zeta Gundam, my friend made it for me cause he and I both like Lt. Quattro, or better known as Char Aznable......if I spelled any of that right.

On a side note, I had to rent a 14' U-Haul truck to get my Virtual On Cabinets from some guy on craigslist. Things weigh 550 lbs. each
Okay, I though so, I never saw that particular series due to my ex being Emo and making me watch Wing constantly until I grew to hate Gundam.

That's pretty awesome on the Virtual On cabinets though. I had to work on the electronics for a set of Virtual On cabinets and had to replace a few different components. Even wheeling those across the floor was making my muscles and heart explode. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if you were picking up 8 Daytona USA cabinets.