SNK Neo 50

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
SNK Neo 50

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:11 am

Yo, I've got a new item that I've added to my collection of arcade stuffs. Found an ad on craigslist that had a SNK Neo 50 cab for sale. I contacted the seller and proceeded to exchange information and from there so on, BAM! I've got me a new cabinet to install some games in. Now the buyer said it needed some minor work to get back up and running so before I even bought the thing i went to check it out and there was nothing wrong besides it simply not having any game board. So of course I went along with it and decided to throw some time and money into restoring an older japanese style arcade cabinet with a 50 inch rear projection monitor.

Heres a picture of what it looks like originally. I have all the parts beside the bench connected to the control cabinet, but I could care less about that.

Now I've already begun taking a few things apart because I plan on completely revamping this from top to bottom, but not the screen unless I need to. (Screen Picture Quality still under testing)

This is a picture of the control panel and tid bits I plan on re-surfacing or ripping the paint off and applying a new coat in a different color. I want to make it red like the American wooden like cabinets.
Seriously do not know why it had 7 button layout, MVS systems never used more than a 4 button configuration, even for its fighting games. (Unless I'm missing something)
I plan to replace all the japanese style pushbuttions with american types because I hate how your finger can just slide off. And for fun they'll be LED lit pushbuttons.

This interesting little do-hicky was inside the control cabinet. All the wires and leads from the main harness met under here, it even had two molex connectors just chained in connection to themselves as some sort of like switching configuration. One led to the audio output on the harness and the other to the speakers. Possibly a switch for Mono/Stereo config between MVS and JAMMA boards. The other connector was attached to the player start and select button, which in this case MVS systems use 4 buttons per player plus 2 additional game select buttons (Up/Down) while standard JAMMA configs only use 3 buttons per player and nothing else.
The whole harness linking all the components from the power supply, control panel, audio, and MVS board (if it where there.....)

I generally hated the electrical wiring on this cabinet. The power cord is 2 pronged, no ground, and the whole cabinet is wired like there is an official earth ground........I mean the cabinet is like entirely metal and yet there were ground connections to the chasis everywhere. I bought a 14 gauge 3 prong replacement power cord at home depot and plan to re-work the busted fuse box later when i get my hand on some fuse holders for both the AC lines in.
The MVS/JAMMA thingy, and the white object next to it is a small plugin for the video out and an extra outlet for the 50 inch screen. Mounted right below the back access door on the control cabinet. The cables where a bit beaten up on the screen's input feed, but should be an easy fix. Not sure if grounding is necessary here on the screen's half.
I rarely trust older power supplies, even if they are switching power supplies. Going to replace this..................and those 2 Zippy joysticks which where surprisingly in ok condition compared to the rest of this machine.

This looked to have a Japanese coin mech, and it did, but the coin comparitor is for US quarters........

And inside look from the back of the control cabinet.

Original logos, some a little torn up
This SNK logo is right below the screen on the monitor rig.
Neo 50 logo is on both sides of the screen.
And the Neo Geo logo on both sides of the control cabinet.

Well these are all the pictures I have so far. I need to go and run some checks on the screen's picture quality so I can tally that on my list of things to do.
I've ordered some parts already but not all. Just a 4 Slot MVS board and one game cartridge (League Bowling). Plan to buy the buttons, joysticks, replacement power supply, and a 1-150 Game Multi cartridge (which does not include League Bowling) later. I just need to wait on the MVS board because of international shipping..........OYE!!!

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Re: SNK Neo 50

Post by Snow_Cat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Looking good so far.

Do you intend to add an inline or panel mount fuse holder?

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Snow_Cat wrote:Looking good so far.

Do you intend to add an inline or panel mount fuse holder?
Probably a panel mount. Sadly I don't see those in stores like Ace or Home Depot really. I may order a few online and save the rest for later projects because all i need is really 2.

Bush

Post by Bush » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:14 pm

I love this.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:09 am

I have begun working some more on the cabinet! Right now I'm wiring a new harness but encountering a slight bump, the power feeds are 20 gauge and I can't seem to get help figuring out if they need to be 18 gauge or what not....................... Really the KLOV forums kills me when they ignore some stuff.....they normally have a lot of members coming and going at all times.

I've also been testing the screen to ensure I wouldn't need any extra work. At first I had a convergence issue where the colors where not lining up when they got further away from the center, but evidently that was just caused by having a Vertical game plugged in. When I plugged in a horizontal game the colors lined right back up and the screen was pretty crisp and good for my tastes.

My mistake was only packing a Vertical game to test it. BAD!

This is a pic of the convergence issue that stemmed from having something in a vertical orientation.

On the second day of working I actually brought something more appropriate to test it with. A horizontal game!

These pictures are just extras of me unmelding this rear projection television.

This board looks to be a converter board that runs the CGA resolution into something more acceptable to the television I suppose.
I highlighted this area to try and confirm a chip placement, I actually thought the convergence issue was stemmed from having bad Sanyo convergence chips and resistors. But of course that issue was solved without tampering or removing anything from this dusty old thing....YAY!!!

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:22 pm

The monitor looks quite nice.

As for the wire gauge issue, just try to find wire that is as thick or thicker than what is already there, and you have a bit of play on the smaller side for everything not the AC in (where safety may be an issue).

The convergence issue probably isn't related to vertical boards in general, but Raiden II specifically, as it outputs an odd resolution/sync rate that the converter board you have may not like.

kibble

Post by kibble » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Is that monitor really just using discrete components for the convergence amps? Or are there STK's elsewhere in there?
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:21 pm

kibble wrote:Is that monitor really just using discrete components for the convergence amps? Or are there STK's elsewhere in there?
This is what I heard from a poster at Arcade-Museum.forums.

"Apparently this chassis doesn't use STK's, its using discrete Transistors for the convergence amps."

Probably because the age of the television used in this cabinet. There isn't much data online about this cabinet really, and I think from what I have learned it was made in 1996, or thats when they released them.

The HardMVS guy says he has the manual to be scanned on his data he has about this particular cabinet. I tried contacting him, but have yet to get a response.

kibble

Post by kibble » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:17 am

rikitheshadow wrote:"Apparently this chassis doesn't use STK's, its using discrete Transistors for the convergence amps."
That's interesting, I've never fixed an RPTV that had the amps built out of discrete transistors. I hate the fact that when an amp goes bad you have to replace both.... I'm actually going to be replacing a couple tomorrow for a friend who got a decent RPTV free from his coworker cuz it's got horribly bad convergence. That, and the coolant needs replacing, the projectors are NASTAY.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)